OpenAL channel bug?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OpenAL channel bug?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've been using the OpenAL Generic Software driver for a couple of weeks in my game and a few times I'd noticed that sometimes my sounds don't play after I've been testing the game for a little while.

I've actually got a channel array of 16 channels, and I noticed that sometimes say only half of them play (amount varies). I was able to duplicate the problem by rapidly restarting the level (with a hot key). This causes my channel array to be stopped and freed and remade. So I'm wondering if this causes the problem.

Here's the "control": With FreeAudio and Directsound it's works FINE, I can't duplicate the issue which rules out my code. It's something in the way OpenAL handles allocating channels and also StopChannel() maybe?

Anyone else found anything similar?

If I can't sort this, then it'll have to be FMod but has anyone used it successfully in BMax for normal game sounds (not just streaming oggs)? thx

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
I only had this problem with the hardware driver, not the software one.

I'm considering an FMOD licence for future, though. I'd just use FMOD, and balls to everything else. Because this sound driver pantomime - too. much. hassle. :/

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
yeah you are right but I'm scared that it'll be too much work to integrate. I oughta checkout that big FMOD sticky thread a bit more...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
looks like I'd better make a test app then to pinpoint it and see if it's something BRL can fix or if it's internal to OpenAL.