Detect DX9 and switch to it?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Detect DX9 and switch to it?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi, is there a way for Bmax to autodetect if the DX 9 driver is present and functional and switch to it instead of using the default DX 7 one (which has a lag fix in the BRL code)?

If so, would it be safe to switch to it? How stable is the BMax DX9 driver?

I'm basically thinking that DX9 may be more reliable than DX7 because I don't think the render lag issue exists in DX9 does it?

But I'd hate to be switching people over to DX9 to resolve this "minor" lag issue (which may affect my timing code) if it meant that my games may bomb on some PCs which incorrectly think they have DX9 installed or something (or is that just being paranoid?) :-)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#2]
I don't think you should worry Jake, what we coders notice and when the paying public notice are two very different things. I doubt very much that small jitters will have an adverse effect on sales potential.

Otus(Posted 2007) [#3]
Can't you just try if it works, and fall back to the other if it doesn't? Something like what I do with OpenGL and DX7:

SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()
		gc = TMax2DGraphics(Graphics(GX, GY))

If Not gc
			SetGraphicsDriver D3D7Max2DDriver()
			gc = TMax2DGraphics(Graphics(GX, GY))
		End If

'If Not gc ...

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about the driver ... i have no issues what so ever on my system using DX7 or OGL. Keep workin on your jitter code :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
hah. Yeah it's true that a tiny DX7 jitter won't affect sales, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I was wondering if changing the drivers would improve things on some PCs that's all. I may add a DX9 test into my jitter app and get people to retest who experienced jitters...

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#6]
EDIT: moved to your Jitter thread :P