Massive memory leaks with map engines

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Massive memory leaks with map engines

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've tried every single 2D map editor and engine I can find for use with BlitzMax and two of the best I've used (UME and World Artist - which is very buggy but has potential to be the best of them all if the development team were still interested in it) both have HUGE memory leaks when loading/unloading/manipulating maps. By "huge", I mean up to several megs at a time, compounded every time a new map is loaded or a map is reloaded. I tried very hard to track down the problems in the map engines, but I ran out of steam.

Has anyone else had this problem with BlitzMax map engines? Did you solve it? Is there a big enough community demand for a third-party map engine for any of the major map editors that it would be worth my time to develop one?

SpaceAce

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#2]
No idea, sorry, but do you have a link to the World Artist website? I cannot find one.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#3]
World Artist is http://www.binaryphoenix.com/ but I wouldn't recommend it for serious development. Really, it's my favorite of the BlitzMax-ready map editors, with an excellent collision-bit/meta-data system and a nice map engine (except for the memory leak), but the developers seem to have abandoned it halfway through and just don't seem very interested in it. It wasn't until I bought a copy that I started running into the bugs. I made a very detailed post on their old forums with sample files, screenshots and in-depth descriptions of the problems I was having and the guys there said they would look into it, then, a few days later, they took the site down for redesign and apparently didn't bother to save anything from the old forums.

SpaceAce

Helios(Posted 2007) [#4]
I apologise SpaceAce, I really should have supported it more. Unfortunatly I have a lot of commitments besides my programming work, and its difficult to split my time up onto everything I would like. As it is only me working on it.

I am still intrested in it, but the whole thing has been given a complete redesign (If you look on the website for Fusion, the SDK is basically the next version of WA).

As for not saving anything, I did actually. Unfortunatly the backup I took was slightly before you posted your topic. I apologise again. If you post details of what you want fixed I will do it as I have slightly more free time now as college is out for the next month.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#5]
I assume you tried www.mapeditor.de.vu as well?
The module can be found at http://www.blitzforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19899

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#6]
Helios,
I guess I'll give World Artist another try and document the bugs as I run into them. I just feel discouraged because I spent quite a few hours documenting, experimenting, taking screen shots, trying variations on the actions that caused the bugs, etc, to narrow the bugs down as far as possible. I just don't feel like doing that all over.
Actually, even as I type this, I have binphx.mapengine open in BLIde as I try to track down the memory leak (seems to be in ResizeNoSave), so I may have useful information soon.

Dreamora,
I mentioned Universal Map Editor (UME) in my initial post. UME is a great program in a lot of ways, but it had some flaws that really annoyed me. Also, the BlitzMax engine for Universal Map Editor also has a major memory leak and it is missing some important functionality. I don't remember what all the map engine was missing, but it was one of the main reasons I moved on to other editors instead of purchasing the Pro version.

Edit: Nevermind, it isn't in ResizeNoSave; I forgot your sample has GCcollect on manual. I knew ResizeNoSave wasn't where I tracked it down to last time :/

SpaceAce