POS BMAX IDE !!!!!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/POS BMAX IDE !!!!!

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#1]
Can anyone tell me what happened? Yesterday' WHOLE DAY worth of work GONE! I load up my file, and it's like been reverted by a whole day back. How is it that I save every new line I type, and i have about 15 exe builds from last night, but my source is magically old now? I understand that BMAX may be using those temp backup files, but wtf, there are 2 of those, and they are both just as old as the original source. Any idea?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#2]
Learn to save your work in version numbers.

so you have

mygame0.1.bmx
mygame0.2.bmx
mygame0.3.bmx

etc. Occupational hazard and you can do NOTHING. The fact is.... quite simply... you didn't save your work.

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#3]
wrorng assumption - work has been saved more than 1000 times (I save at EVERY NEW BLOCK OR LINE) something to do with .temp files

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#4]
ok, another question, whats a good lightweight IDE alternative for bmax?

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#5]
Trying out BLIde - looking good so far ....

H&K(Posted 2007) [#6]
Do a file search, because there is a posibility that the reason your whole days work has gone, is because for a whole day you were saving it somewhere else.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
If using vista, take in consideration that virtualization can be dangerous using temp files. If you were using BLIde, check the TMP folder in the BLIde installation path. It should be there.

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ive never had bmax mess up a saved file.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#9]
Learn to save your work in version numbers.
Or use a version and configuration control program that does this for you.

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#10]
Ive never had bmax mess up a saved file.

me neither... but I use the ce version if that makes any diff.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#11]
Prefer it manual cos a program to do it is just an additional layer of stuff that can go wrong.

HrdNutz(Posted 2007) [#12]
I must have had a backup file opened by accident - then next time i tried to load the original, it overwrote the backup

O.O

CASO(Posted 2007) [#13]
Just thought I would through this out there....

I was working on a program using that videocard/webcard API (It started with an "E") and when I ran the program an error occured that restarted my computer. When I reopened the source code I was working with IT WAS TOTALLY BLANK.

The moral of this story is... always backup your stuff

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#14]
I've been using UltraEdit for years -- it's affordable, bullet-proof, and has just about every feature you could ask for. After using a real editor, the default IDE feels like banging rocks together.

I also have a nightly batch script that mirrors my source tree onto a second drive. I should probably use CVS, but I'm too lazy.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#15]
the default IDE feels like banging rocks together.

I laughed out loud when I read that line, agent. Good one. :)

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#16]
http://subversion.tigris.org/ and http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Install and learn to use. Will save you many times.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#17]
I just reread my last post and laughed out loud again. That "banging rocks together" thing is just hilarious.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#18]
Yeah, I laugh out loud when I read it too. I am going to remember that one. Probably won't be long till the whole Internet is using it. :)