Pass function pointer with varying arguments?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Pass function pointer with varying arguments?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#1]
I am working on a wrapper for a C library (LibGTK and LibGlade), and almost everything is alive.

The library (a GUI library) uses callback functions as Signal Handlers, so for example when a button is pressed a signal is sent out, then its handler is linked to my callback function which does whatever I want it to do.

That particular function is set up like this:
Function glade_xml_signal_connect(document:Byte Ptr , handlername$z , func(widget:Byte Ptr , user_data:Byte Ptr) )
...which works for most situations.

However, (and this is completely beyond the pale), certain signals want different callback functions that take different arguments. For example, a GTKDialog's Response signal wants a callback function like this:
user_function (GtkDialog *dialog, gint arg1, gpointer   user_data)
That is one argument more than most other callbacks! This causes a crash :(
From a quick glance, I gather that the real function will really take any function pointer, as the arguments for that function aren't figured out until the assigned callback is called from a known signal (and that signal knows what kind of functions it wants). If it is the wrong kind of function, the program crashes.

I could go through these odd exceptions and create a new signal connect function for each, or I could create a special signal handler for the Response signal, but those two seem like rather unfavourable solutions compared to "just" taking a function pointer that could have any number of arguments.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hm...
Duh! (Sorry, should have tried a few more things before I posted).
Extern
Function glade_xml_signal_connect(document:Byte Ptr , handlername$z , func:Byte Ptr )
End Extern
Is that likely to bite me down the line, or should it work fine?

N(Posted 2007) [#3]
That will work fine.