File Format? Blide?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/File Format? Blide?

Sean Doherty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Some of my files seemed to be messed up when I try to open them in Wordpad? I seem to remember that it had something to do with Blide, but I don't recall how to fix them?

Thanks

N(Posted 2007) [#2]
My guess is the files are UTF-16 and Wordpad doesn't support that. Why you're opening BMax source code in Wordpad is beyond me, though...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#3]
Why you're opening BMax source code in Wordpad is beyond me, though...
I open source in notepad sometimes, when I just want to look something up. Its quicker than waiting for BLIde to do its thing.

N(Posted 2007) [#4]
I open source in notepad sometimes, when I just want to look something up. Its quicker than waiting for BLIde to do its thing.
Notepad is understandable. Wordpad is just odd.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
Actually, I generally use Notepad++ now.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2007) [#6]
That seems to be the problem! The latest version of Blide saves everything in UTF-8; but I have to open the files one at a time.

Not sure what's wrong with Wordpad for quickly viewing files; seems much better than notepad to me. That said, I was really trying to resolve the issue because I noticed invalid results when I run a lines of code counting application.

Thanks

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
Not sure what's wrong with Wordpad for quickly viewing files
Nothing really, except that nobody really uses Wordpad for anything. Ever.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#8]
BLIde only saves files in unicode (big endian) if you're using any spetial character. otherwise they are saved in regular ANSI encoding. The same as MaxIde and Visual Studio. It is funny, my note pad doesn't seem to open properly some UTF-8 but the wordpad does open them well.
you can see the encoding being used to save every file in the BLIde console when a file is saved.