Question to Maxers..

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Question to Maxers..

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#1]
hey i'm a blitz3D user, thinking about buying max, i have a question.

1. is it easy to access EXE icons before creating the exe so no resH crap

2. is max GUI anything like Winb3d

3. is there any 3d solutions? i like SDK but it looks like i have to buy blitz3d AGAIN to use it properly..

4. is there that ugly startup window on max programs?

i have some other questions in the back of my head i'll post here when they come..

sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this move it to the right one mods if its not.

btw i'll be using it for windows programs if it matters.

plash(Posted 2007) [#2]
1. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=65355#729768
Pretty simple... but includes some res stuff, it would be easy to make a program to write the res file, but its already easy enough if you know how to do it.

2. Yes.

3. MiniB3D

4. I don't know what your referring to, so I guess not!

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#3]
Well with number 4, when a blitz3D applacation is made, when it fires up, theres a small "Standard" graphics mode that shows up, then it goes away and the program begins.

MiniB3D seems so "incomplete" though.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#4]
3) Dreamotion, Irrlicht, MiniB3D, Eliza(if you can still findit) Are Free

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#5]
i'v heard of Irrlicht, is it possible to combine max-gui and "Irrlicht" ?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#6]
4) No. If you select 'build GUI app' in the IDE, no other windows will be opened, unlike in B3D.

assari(Posted 2007) [#7]
There's a list of Game Engines wrapped for Blitzmax here
http://www.2dgamecreators.com/blitzmax/resources/
Look under Game Engine

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hmm, well i'm mostly interested in bMax for the 2d part, if i could shove some blitz3d commands in there as well, that'd be a bonus, i'm not sure about these "unoffical" 3d engines... Well, i think i'll mess with blitz3d for a while and get max later, hopefuly the blitz3d module from the SDK is released for blitz3d owners, no sense in buying the same thing twice.

thanks for the info guys.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
If you start with Blitz3D, your source won't be compatible with BlitzMax, just to mention that.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#10]
Well thats stupid, i downloaded the demo for blitzmax, i start it up, and it gives me an error: "This Demo has expired" then promptly shuts down, that sucks. Any ideas?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#11]
You downloaded and used the demo previously? If not, contact BRL with the problem.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well a long time ago before i even bought blitz3d i tested blitzmax, didnt even test it, more like look at the IDE then uninstall it... why would that cause the problem? installing/uninstalling a demo within 15 minutes of eachother.. not like i used the demo for 30 days or anything..

well that kinda sucks, i didnt even try it when i downloaded it the first time..

so thats the problem?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#13]
i'v heard of Irrlicht, is it possible to combine max-gui and "Irrlicht"
Yep

i didnt even try it when i downloaded it the first time.. so thats the problem?
Yep, you at least installed it. But How long ago was it? COs you should have cleaned your system if it was that long ago.
Just Email support.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#14]
it was like 6-7 months ago, and yes i have cleaned my system plenty of times.

hmm, well i'ma try to download it again, if that doesnt work then i guess i have to go through a bunch of support crap..

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#15]
my question is, how do they know i installed it so many moons ago, my IP for example has changed many times sense then.. scarey.

Edit: and there is this thing as well..

"(30 day time limit; approx. 8MB download; Linux demo currently unavailable). "

i only had it installed for 15 minutes, grr.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#16]
the demo of windows version is totally useless anyway. the whole core has been modified since 1.12 so using the BM demo outside OSX is plain pointless to experience the language (ps: you can't use 3rd party modules with the demo anyway)

H&K(Posted 2007) [#17]
Yep

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#18]
dang.. well i guess i can stick to reading tutorials and effectively learning the language and then later buy it.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#19]
Heres another question: what does max2D have over Blitz3D's 2D graphics mode?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#20]
Heres another question: what does max2D have over Blitz3D's 2D graphics mode?

Max2D uses 2D-in-3D, so you still have all the accelerated 3D graphics advantages such as rotation, alphablending, zooming, etc.

Of course the downside of that is that it's heavier on the GPU than plain old 2D.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#21]
are you able to do normal 2D in blitzmax? not just 3D Acc'd 2D?

is the syntax of blitzmax more advanced? would it be a step towards more advanced languages such as C++?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#22]
are you able to do normal 2D in blitzmax? not just 3D Acc'd 2D?

As far as I know you can only do the 3D accelerated 2D

Syntax: depends on how you use it. You can stick with the b3D style procedural syntax, or you can use the object-oriented approach which looks a little more C-like... but you still have the overall BASIC structure without all the { } stuff.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#23]
some time in the future, i'd like to learn more "in the industry" languages. like C++/C/Java/Ect/ect

Blitz3D is awsomely simple and i suggest it to any beginner, though with my so and so knowage of blitz3d C++ made No sense at all was very confusing, i only got some of the parts, like if statment and basic stuff like that.

i'm wondering if Blitzmax is a good "in the middle" language.. not hard like C++ but not super simple like Blitz3D .. IE. would get me closer to understanding C++ ect.

thats my question.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#24]
As B3D user its harder to get into BM than as C++ / C# / Java user.

Reason is that BM definitely is more closely to those language:

1. It is object oriented
2. It is garbage collector driven (there is no FreeXY command beside sound where you have to clean the buffer in RAM)

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#25]
so if I get good with BM, C++ will be easyer?

deps(Posted 2007) [#26]
I would say that BM is closer to B3D.
1. You don't have to use the object oriented features.
2. Just forget all about free* functions and everything will be taken care of! :)

If you look at the syntax, a C++ code doesn't look like bmax code at all.
The biggest difference I have seen over bmax and b3d source is that bmax uses foo.bar instead of foo/bar

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#27]
Since learning Max, alot of C++ became much easier to read to me, so i'd say a little, yes.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#28]
Max is ideal to take you up the ladder, IMO. You have a lot of extra stuff there, like pointers, OOP.You also have an optimising compiler. Many people complain Max is too complicated, but I found it to be extremely close to the other Blitz languages, bar the optional extras which you don't have to use. The only complication you're stuck with that I can think of is the need to create your own lists, but that's like an extra 2 commands. Not rocket science.

Unless you specifically want to get a job working with C++, I wouldn't really bother with it. It's not the holy grail any more. C# or Java are better bets.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#29]
And don't forget you can mix BlitzMax with C and C++ and assembler, as much or as little as you want.
So if you feel like it later, you can start adding C/C++ specific bits to your BlitzMax apps.

This feature makes it easy to integrate 3rd party C/C++ libraries.