More Modules...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/More Modules...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've been wanting to do a Date / Time module for ever. I've even half written one, but I wanted it to have loads of features that I just don't have the time to code myself.

So I've been searching for a nice cross-platform jobbie... I came up with : http://www.boost.org/

Boost is a very large set of C++ libraries brought together under a single framework. As well as a Date/Time lib, there's heaps of other things which may, or may not, be useful.
So if you see something in there that you think might be nice in BlitzMax, let me know.

I've got the basic TDate up and running and it's working great so far. The lib also supports locales, and lots of date/time manipulation. Basically, everything you wanted to do with dates but were too lazy to write yourself ;-)

Funnily enough, getting this one working raised another BMK bug - problems with .hpp files... so there's another fix for that on the way...

What kinds of utility modules are useful for people anyways?

I generally stumble across them while searching for something else and think "Oooh... I've *got* to add this to the list!".

Anyhoo.. time for a cuppa.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]

Well, the only one I've been tempted to do lately ( if only I could find more time ) was Ultimate++ because I could use a more powerful GUI with a pretty clean interface. I know you've done QT, but if I used that I'd never be able to release any of my tools. Or at least not without handing over a very large cheque for the privilege of doing so.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#3]
Five gold stars for Brucey, and a nomination for BlitzMax supporter of the year! =D

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#4]
One of the things I love about BlitzMax and good cross-platform libraries, is that I can spend my lunch hour at the office throwing together a module/wrapper on Windows, and then when I get home, drop the module into Linux and everything builds and runs first time :-)

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#5]
Persistence Framework? Like EJB3/Hibernate. Should complement your ODBC/SQL libraries quite well I think. Thanks. :o>

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#6]

- A* pathfinding?

(Especially if you have a choice between whether just horizontal/vertical, or also diagonal movement.)

- Something that helps to obtain system/hardware specifications (speed, memory, video adapter, etc.)

I had also been looking for RegEx, but came acorss your module for that the other day. :-) Great work with your other modules as well!