Method/Function Performance Tracking?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Method/Function Performance Tracking?

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#1]
Chris:
Hullo. I was going to build a type with a method I would put into every function/method in my projects that would, if I set a global to, track all of [these functions] memory usages, cpu usages, and lifespans. This data would be output to a file, which could then be read and analyzed by another program, which would turn everything into graphs and summaries and such.

I was wondering if anyone had already done this though, or if there was anything with a similar result.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think most people do their own performance analysis and probably not as fancy as a graph. I usually manually run speed tests and then decide what is the best implementation.

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#3]
I haven't seen anything like this for BMax, but it is a handy thing. Generally called "code instrumentation" profiling. Most packages like this provide a program that automatically adds or removes those calls to every function in a program.

A good profiler would be very handy for BMax.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#4]
I think most people do their own performance analysis and probably not as fancy as a graph. I usually manually run speed tests and then decide what is the best implementation.
Which is exactly why this would be so useful

I haven't seen anything like this for BMax, but it is a handy thing. Generally called "code instrumentation" profiling. Most packages like this provide a program that automatically adds or removes those calls to every function in a program.

A good profiler would be very handy for BMax.
Ah. I was wondering what it was called. I'm not so sure how I could have it automatically add it to every function, but I'll probably make it at least where it has the other functionality.

Unfortunately, I'm currently working on my Astroduelers project so I won't be able to do too much anytime soon AFAIK.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#5]
There's Ant's TProfiler