KEY_ESCAPE not exiting?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/KEY_ESCAPE not exiting?

Nigel Brown(Posted 2007) [#1]
I am using BlitzMAX and seem unable to exit test applications using the normal:

Strict
Framework brl.blitz
Import brl.max2d

Repeat
    DebugLog "HELP!"
Until KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)

Am I overlooking something here?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Polling isn't enabled until you create a graphics object.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#3]
EnablePolledInput()

Nigel Brown(Posted 2007) [#4]
Can someone please try this, or supply an example that works? I have exhausted ideas and still have the same problem. I am unable to quit a simple test program.

@AngelDaniel
I have tried enablepolledinput() but the same is still true. I cannot exit this simple test loop? Here is an example that works but has a window (Arghhh....)

Strict
Framework  brl.d3d7max2d
Import     brl.max2d
Graphics 0,0,0
Repeat
    DebugLog "HELP!"
Until KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)

Avon(Posted 2007) [#5]
[EDIT]

Oops, it would help if I read the post correctly!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
yeah he's write the version with no graphics window bu using EnablePolledInput() doesn't work, it just loops forever. I found the same thing out a while back, not sure how to fix. Maybe it needs a Delay(1) in there?

ima747(Posted 2007) [#7]
Your code works fine for me. Escape exits. Tested on windows XP. Perhaps your example is too simple for some reason? try Changing the Graphics line to

Graphics 800,600,1,16

That should force 800x600 full screen 16bit, which should make all the input polling and other background whatnot run right.

Also could try changing DebugLog to just a simple Print for testing.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#8]
Strict

Local can:Tgadget = CreateCanvas(0,0,1,1,CreateWindow("Game Window",0,0,1,1,Null,WINDOW_CLIENTCOORDS))
SetGraphics CanvasGraphics(can)
ActivateGadget (can)

Repeat
   DebugLog "HELP!"
Until (PollEvent()<>0 And (EventID() = EVENT_KEYDOWN And EventData() = KEY_SPACE))
Sorry its a maxgui solution, (But I have maxgui, so its the one I know)
You still have a window, but now its really tiny, and once it loses focus youre in trouble.
Basicly unless you have some way to keep focus, you cannot poll events. It comes down to there needs to be somehthing in the gui envioment (win/lynx etc), that is in focus.

Your code works fine for me
Read again, the second code is supposed to work. And the esc works on the debug output window in the ide

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#9]
If you don't want a window but want to detect keypresses, on Windows you could use the GetKeyState() and GetAsyncKeyState() API calls. Here's a quick example I knocked up that doesn't require you to keep focus and more importantly, doesn't require any graphics interfaces or windows:

Windows only:

SuperStrict

Framework BRL.StandardIO
Import BRL.PolledInput
Import Pub.Win32

'Let's create a reference to the function (the user32.dll is imported using Pub.Win32 module)

Extern "win32"

Function GetAsyncKeyState%(vKey%)	'Get's the no of times the key has been pressed since last call

EndExtern

Repeat

'Loop until we hit escape
	PollSystem()

Until GetAsyncKeyState(KEY_ESCAPE)

Print "Ending"

End

plash(Posted 2007) [#10]
What if I wanted to use a key modifier (like CTRL or ALT (MODIFIER_CONTROL = ctrl)), if you change the end of the loop to:
Until GetAsyncKeyState(KEY_ESCAPE) And GetAsyncKeyState(MODIFIER_CONTROL)

it wont leave the loop and you have to end it through the debugger.

{EDIT}
Since we're all talking about keys, in BRL.KeyCodes why are the following keys:
Rem
Const KEY_PAUSE=19
Const KEY_CAPSLOCK=20
Const KEY_HELP=47
Const KEY_NUMSLASH=108
Const KEY_START=93
Const KEY_NUMLOCK=144
Const KEY_SCROLL=145
Const KEY_BROWSER_BACK=166
Const KEY_BROWSER_FORWARD=167
Const KEY_BROWSER_REFRESH=168
Const KEY_BROWSER_STOP=169
Const KEY_BROWSER_SEARCH=170
Const KEY_BROWSER_FAVORITES=171
Const KEY_BROWSER_HOME=172
Const KEY_VOLUME_MUTE=173
Const KEY_VOLUME_DOWN=174
Const KEY_VOLUME_UP=175
Const KEY_MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK=176
Const KEY_MEDIA_PREV_TRACK=177
Const KEY_MEDIA_STOP=178
Const KEY_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE=179
Const KEY_LAUNCH_MAIL=180
Const KEY_LAUNCH_MEDIA_SELECT=181
Const KEY_LAUNCH_APP1=182
Const KEY_LAUNCH_APP2=183
End Rem

commented out?

NOTE: Their all sitting at the bottom of the source code.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#11]
You'd use something like:

SuperStrict

Framework BRL.StandardIO
Import BRL.PolledInput
Import Pub.Win32

'Let's create a reference to the function (the user32.dll is imported using Pub.Win32 module)

Extern "win32"

Function GetAsyncKeyState%(vKey%)	'Get's the no of times the key has been pressed since last call

EndExtern

Repeat

'Loop until we hit shift and escape
	PollSystem()

Until GetAsyncKeyState(KEY_ESCAPE|VK_SHIFT)	'VK_CONTROL, VK_MENU, VK_LWIN

Print "Ending"

End
Because GetAsyncKeyState() is a Windows specific API function, you can't use the modifiers Blitz uses internally (though the normal keys are the same). The modifier constants the function interprets are VK_CONTROL, VK_MENU, VK_LWIN, VK_RWIN, VK_SHIFT which are already defined in Pub.Win32 module so you can use them straight away.

Regarding the commenting of those additional constants, I assume it's because they haven't got them working the same cross-platform so are not supporting them for now.

plash(Posted 2007) [#12]
Regarding the commenting of those additional constants, I assume it's because they haven't got them working the same cross-platform so are not supporting them for now.

Ohh, right, thanks.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2007) [#13]
:-) That works, Thanks!