Mod docs?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mod docs?

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#1]
If I post a module, do I just need to include command.html in the docs folder for syntax highlighting and help to work? If not, what else is required?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
for help nothing.
Not sure if syntax highlight uses the command.html and not the .i files which have all declarations in for global, const, function, type - method - function

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#3]
The IDE highlights the functions listed in ...BlitzMax/doc/bmxmods/commands.txt - this is compiled by the docmods program (see the bottom /src/docmods/docmods.bmx) when it is parsing source files and generating the commands.html file. This is something else you need to bear in mind.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hmmm...how would my end users do this?

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#5]
Look at some of the sources for the official modules to get an idea on how to do it. If you do it like those then commands.html will automatically be created by docmods.exe.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#6]
Simply, by running "Document Modules" from the Tools menu in the IDE.

Edit: Sorry - didn't know the source wasn't included!

Ian Thompson(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ive already done that it does not pick them up.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#8]
The document modules will only work (AFAIK) with modules that have source supplied. What's really needed is a way to have the IDE include commands.txt files from the module folder (and perhaps have docmods place individual files there).

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#9]
If BlitzMax could just load commands from all text files in the same folder as commands.txt, we could just supply our own text file, and not risk messing up the user's commands.txt.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#10]
A little idea - could you make a new separate module that contains a reference to every function and type set out in your commerical module, and with all the bbdoc tags around them, but don't include anything within the functions/types. Call the module something like leadworks.3ddocs and supply your users with this module too (inc. source). Then users can call DocMods - the DocMods parser will find the leadworks.3ddocs, produce help HTML files AND update the commands.txt with the commands it finds (DocMods isn't clever enough to realise that the functions/types don't *actually* do anything), and heh presto!

Blitz gets it's HTML files, DocMods is "tricked" into adding your functions to commands.txt and your actual module can still be distributed without the source! Everyone's a winner!