Need XP / Vista testing please :-)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Need XP / Vista testing please :-)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hallo,

Am currently working on a Console GUI module, and would be grateful if someone could test this small app on XP or Vista please, as I'm on Win2K here. (file is HERE)

This test is to show the UI running via Events.

When you run it, you should see a clock in the top-right, and a text entry field in the middle. To finish the edit you can use Escape, Enter or Tab.

This is the source :

Just let me know if it runs okay and if it flickers a lot or not.

Thanks muchly :-)

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#2]
I just tried it in XP (Pro SP2). It runs without flicker and works as you describe. Pressing Escape results in a "pop up" stating that fact, while pressing Tab or Return results in a pop up showing what was typed.

In the interest of (probably excessive <g>) testing, I tried dragging the window. During that, the clock updates every second though text input isn't possible (as usual for a BlitzMax non-GUI app).

I also took the liberty of trying it in Win 98 SE, and it worked fine there, too.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2007) [#3]
Works fine on my laptop with XP SP1 installed. The timer flickers occasionally, but it is very minor.

jsp(Posted 2007) [#4]
Does work here on my XP as well.
Tab, Enter, ESC, del, Backspace, key-repeat as expected
The clock flickers sometimes during update a tiny bit, but not related to fast input. Not that problem, all in all quite good.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#5]
works for me too.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#6]
What you posted from your worklog seems really interesting - I'm looking forward to this module! ;-)

I can confirm this works, as WendellM described, on Vista 32-bit too! I didn't notice any flickering at all...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks folks. Much appreciated :-)

The "flicker" is due to the fact that the curses code wants to redraw everything when you tell a widget to refresh itself. Tried my best to minimize that. Shows up most on Windows and Mac, while on Linux you can't see it at all.

though text input isn't possible

Probably because the Key input event handling isn't done through an EventHook... Maybe. Or it just won't work like that.
I had to jump through a lot of hoops just to get this event-model to work (that and trawling through many, many google searches)

Making good progress, I think. This event stuff opens up lots of potential for quite complex BlitzMax console apps :-)

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#8]

though text input isn't possible
Probably because the Key input event handling isn't done through an EventHook... Maybe. Or it just won't work like that.

I only even tried it since your clock was updating so nicely while being moved. There probably aren't any real-world situations where the user would actually need to type in text while moving the window.

jsp(Posted 2007) [#9]
Brucey,
while playing a bit more and testing CTRL things i found that using CTRL and one of the 0-9 and ;',./-=+? and may more just quits the program.
While CTRL f (forward) CRTL b (backward) CTRL a (home) CTRL e (end) works ok for me.
CTRL n for next is like enter which is probably ok, while p does nothing?

EDIT: btw. copy and paste, should they work?

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#10]
btw. copy and paste, should they work?

Surprisingly, it appears to - if you use the "standard" windows copy/paste method of highlighting with the mouse then right clicking to copy, and then right-clicking again to paste.

Haven't tested the CTRL handling too much as yet - except for CTRL-C. I'm sure there's a way to catch/ignore them (one would hope so, anyways!).

The problem I've had while testing is that Debugging don't work. I do believe it is due to the way BlitzMax uses stdin/out to pass around debug info. And you can't run a debug app from the IDE - because it needs to run from a "shell" type window. Slows down the work a bit, but it does mean I have to be right first time, more often than usual ;-)

Curses is a big fish, and I've only really touched on the surface so far.