Leadwerks Engine SDK 1.10

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Leadwerks Engine SDK 1.10

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#1]
Leadwerks Engine SDK 1.10 is uploaded in the developer's area at www.leadwerks.com. The engine comes in a script-controlled version, and as a BlitzMax module. Both versions use the same syntax, and the code is mostly interchangeable. A DLL release is on the way as well.

Features include:
-Load and display animated .b3d and .smd files.
-Complete command set for terrain construction and animated grass layers.
-Complete command set for physics bodies, joints, and vehicles.
-Direct loading of compressed .dds textures (about 10x faster than loading from image files)
-Built-in lightmapper

There are about 260 commands, and I can't think of any more that are needed, off the top of my head. From here on out, I'll be focusing more on rendering features and accompanying tools. I have some cool shader rendering in the works.

Here are a few demo executables with source code, to show how the engine works:
http://www.leadwerks.com/post/bmxdemos.zip

I've also been talking to an indie team of mostly artists who want to use this engine. One of their guys helped me with some shader stuff. They are looking for a programmer, and I thought someone here might be interested. You can check them out here:
http://www.assyria-game.com

Special thanks to Regis of BriskVM for helping me get this one out.

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#2]
thanks!!

new for bmax mod??

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
This is looking good.

I'm still pondering on whether to purchase. I may make my decision once shaders have been implemented.

:)

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#4]
Mongia, the BlitzMax mod is only available to register users. It's not in testing any more.

Bumpmaps are on the way. Big thanks to Arne Reiners for his help with this:

Winni(Posted 2007) [#5]
Leadwerks, do you have any plans to support OS X?

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#6]
I could compile to OS X right now, but I don't have a Mac. I'll buy one once there are more users, but right now I can't afford it.

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#7]
not a good news!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#8]
Why the nasty artifacts on the bumpmapped objects?

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#9]
i tested a zomby and a other file b3d
and it have a bug!

and your sistem is 2 time slower than Blitz3D

your mod not is compatible with max2d!

i use a gldrawrect ecc
e dont use a image ecc!!

puki(Posted 2007) [#10]
.smd files.

Sniffing-nora, my game engine uses .smd too. Well, it was easier than the Oblivion format for me to incorporate.

Other than that, well done "halo" you are almost catching me - but, like a cheeky, little, sausage, I keep pulling away into the sunset.

I am the greatest of all time.

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#11]
Thx! It s Great! ;)

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#12]
Why the nasty artifacts on the bumpmapped objects?

What are you referring to?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#13]
The concentric pink rings visible on all three blue balls.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#14]
I have the bumpmapping set to a really extreme level right now, to make sure the specular highlights are working.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#15]
Ok, I can't see any specular highlights in the still screen, but it's probably something you have to see in motion. All will no doubt become clear when you release a demo of it in action.

N(Posted 2007) [#16]
Out of curiosity, has this engine and your next editor basically resulted in all those who purchased 3D WorldStudio as it is no longing getting updates? 'Cause there's quite a lot that still isn't exactly in the best condition there. For example, the bug post I just left on your forum.

Also, why wasn't animation in the engine already? Are you doing this entirely in software? I seem to be getting the impression you are, in which case you should cease that immediately and switch to hardware skinning.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2007) [#17]

Cause there's quite a lot that still isn't exactly in the best condition there

Im slowing filling up the bug report forum too.

There does seem to be basic errors that need to be addressed with the engine. The development is quick but to the expense that basic errors are creeping in.

The major niggle with me is that Scaleentity on Animmeshes is borked, oh that and the almost complete lack of documentation......

Saying that the engine so far is looking good, bit concerned with the direction that the shaders are going :-

http://forum.leadwerks.com/viewtopic.php?id=1056

There isn't much of a point in the end users messing around with shaders, because they are something that gets written into the engine renderer.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#18]
Uploaded SDK 1.11:
-Added player controller
-Added sound commands
-Fixed some lighting bugs
-Improved physics

Here are some demos showing some of the features. Check out the player controller example, it's got some pretty cool physics to play with:
http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=45

JonasL(Posted 2007) [#19]
I would consider purchasing the engine or for that matter any BMX engine or lib only if there is solid MacOS X support. The whole point of BMX is that it takes the pain out of cross-platform development. If that is missing I can just as well do C++ using open-source libraries like Irrlicht. The engine looks promising, get serious about Mac support and you will have a product that is a proper complement to BlitzMax. Far too many third-party developers are missing this core business idea and sales point of the BMX platform.

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#20]
your example not work!!

i use a exe

example 8 14-15!

thanks

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#21]
Thanks, I found out that it will crash if OpenAL is not installed...will add a check to alert the user in the future.

Just run the OpenAL installer. I think I included it with the zip.

siread(Posted 2007) [#22]
Yeah, Mac support is a must. Would almost certainly purchase if a Mac build is at least promised.

CodeGit(Posted 2007) [#23]
I will definitely purchase when documentation is in place.

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#24]
i installed a openal!!

but example 8 14-15!
not work

other example work fine

Avon(Posted 2007) [#25]
Noel Cower:
Out of curiosity, has this engine and your next editor basically resulted in all those who purchased 3D WorldStudio as it is no longing getting updates? 'Cause there's quite a lot that still isn't exactly in the best condition there. For example, the bug post I just left on your forum.

Any chance of answering this question? Any updates for 3DWS, or are you bored with it now?

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#26]
Out of curiosity, has this engine and your next editor basically resulted in all those who purchased 3D WorldStudio as it is no longing getting updates?

That isn't even a coherent sentence. I don't understand what he is asking.

Mousey(Posted 2007) [#27]
I don't understand what he is asking.

But surely you understand what Avon is asking?

"Any updates for 3DWS, or are you bored with it now?"

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#28]
Example14 - Player controller.exe it's really funny!! :D

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#29]
As for 3DWS, the engine is the basis of future versions of 3DWS. I've written a lot of things into the engine so that when I write the next version of 3DWS, it will probably only take about 3 months. Maybe less. This will probably happen around September, if everything goes according to schedule.

Avon(Posted 2007) [#30]
Ok, thanks for the update Josh.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#31]
the character controller is impressive.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#32]
SDK v1.13 is released. Bumpmaps are now working on meshes and bsp brushes:

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#33]
good image!!!

Filax(Posted 2007) [#34]
Wahou !! I purchase a licence now :)

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#35]
Arne has implemented some preliminary shadow mapping. This provides real-time soft shadows using the same technique as STALKER and Crysis. I am not sure what we will do with this, but it is very promising.

This is NOT user-accessible yet, so do not think we have it working for the end users yet:

Filax(Posted 2007) [#36]
How many time the delivery take ? I purchased my licence
there is one/two hours, and i want to play now :)

Nice the shadows !!! can't wait to use them !

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#37]
Check your email. Thank you.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#38]
Thanks i got it :) Great engine !