Beautiful Programming Fonts

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Beautiful Programming Fonts

Tylerbot(Posted 2007) [#1]
In my years of programming I have become aware of the readability of the font I choose to read when programming. It took me a while to really "see" the font I was looking at. For some, this might be cause for a grin - because you already know how great it is to have a really _nice_ font to stare at.

For the rest, I have only this advice: get a programmer's font, and setup your syntax highlighting to be bright text on a dark background. No matter what IDE you use, you'll find yourself in a better disposition if your font is truly beautiful to look at.

If you're using Windows like me, you've probably come across some of the older, standard fixed-width fonts; such as "Fixedsys" or "Courier New" (ugh!). If you are still using one of the typefaces from these font families, do yourself a huge favor, and find a new one.

I suggest one of the following two fonts, both of which are freely and legally available for download:

1. Consolas - this is one of the six new ClearType fonts included with Windows Vista. However, if you use Windows XP (like me) you can legally download and use this font, simply by downloading and installing Microsoft's PowerPoint viewer. It comes as part of the package.

2. Console/Console 437 - this font family is Raster only (and thus will not work in every program, but most programmer-oriented editors are fine with it), produced by "r_harvey" and available on his personal website.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
I use Courier New with Cleartype enabled. No reason to change to something else, imho.

Tylerbot(Posted 2007) [#3]
GfK
No reason to change to something else, ...

Except for pure aesthetics and your own eyesight. You really ought to at least _try_ Consolas. The difference is astounding.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#4]
I am a die-hard Fixedsys user and nothing has been good enough to replace that for me...but I am downloading Consolas and will give it a try for a couple hours. Thanks for the tip!

Russell(Posted 2007) [#5]
I use WingDings in italics mode, fonstsize of 4!

(Just kidding...)

Actually, it's hard to believe I used to program on the Commodore 64 in 40 column fixed font - white on a blue screen - in Simon's Basic (remember that one?)...

Who could ever use all of those 38911 Basic bytes available? ;)

Russell

grable(Posted 2007) [#6]
Nothing beats ProggyClean with extra fat separator chars ([<, etc.

But thats only my opionion =)

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#7]
Vera Sans Mono:
http://praegnanz.de/essays/vera-sans-mono (german text)
http://praegnanz.de/file_download/74 preview pdf

cu olli

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#8]
you can also get the font from here
The installer requires that visual studio 2005 be installed, but you can also get the MSI that the installer extracts from c:\documents and settings\your name\local settings\temp\_is38. You can then extract the contents of it using this tool: http://blogs.pingpoet.com/overflow/archive/2005/06/02/2449.aspx

H&K(Posted 2007) [#9]
Comic Sans, above 12 points

Tylerbot(Posted 2007) [#10]
H&K
Comic Sans, above 12 points

Surely, you jest. Please, god.

MikeT(Posted 2007) [#11]
Can't believe that I haven't seen Jokerman mentioned yet ;)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#12]
Comic Sans as well or Verdana.

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#13]
Mostly Courier new, font size 10 with cleartype enabled.

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2007) [#14]
how do you enable cleartype?

PGF(Posted 2007) [#15]
On Windows XP:

Display Properties / Appearance / Effects / Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts / ClearType

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2007) [#16]
yes that does make a difference.
many thanks

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#17]
Consolas is great!

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#18]
Yep. I think Consolas will officially replace FixedSys for me. Thanks again for the tip.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#19]
Blitz3d font

GfK(Posted 2007) [#20]
I've installed that consolas thing and had a look.

Does look alright. Its not massively different to courier new anyway, but I'll probably stay using it now its installed.

Warren(Posted 2007) [#21]
You guys should try Andale Mono. It comes standard on Macs but it's available on the web for free download for PCs. I never use anything else now.

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#22]
Just found this:
http://www.proggyfonts.com/

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#23]
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono: http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html

It's a developer font as well, with nice & clear special characters such as the !@#$%^&*() as well as a very visibly different O and 0.

VP(Posted 2007) [#24]
xlsior: My hat off to you, sir. I was about to suggest the exact same. Also used for the reading and composing of emails. An excellent font :)

caff_(Posted 2007) [#25]
Fixedsys FTW.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#26]
Consolas is downloadable here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displayLang=en

Straight from MS, so I guess it is legal. :)

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#27]
I tried Consolas and it doesn't look good. It's rendering very strange and distorted in Windows 2000.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#28]
Probably because Win2K doesn't have Cleartype like XP and Vista.

DampeS8N(Posted 2007) [#29]
You know, you can code brainjam in wingdings no problem...

[mod edited]

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#30]
Heyyy! You can use Consolas in Blide by modifying the colour scheme file in wordpad :-D

[edit]

ACtually, after a system restart Consolas showed up in its options :)

N(Posted 2007) [#31]
altitudems: I love you for that link.

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2007) [#32]
Nothing beats ProggyClean with extra fat separator chars ([<, etc.

But thats only my opionion =)

I'm almost in total agreement, although I use ProggySquare with extra fat separators! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#33]
well I might have to try one if these out to save my waning eyesight.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#34]
xlsior/vinylpusher: uh, I can't figure out how to download it. Any tips. thanks!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#35]
You know, you can code brainjam in wingdings no problem...
You should edit that before a moderator sees it (then go read the terms of use so you don't do it again).

[mod edited]

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#36]
Using Consolas now at 11 point, 10 was too small as 12 too big (has bit line spaces for some reason). Anyway I like it :-) thanks.

QuietBloke(Posted 2007) [#37]
It is just me then ?..
I installed Consolas and it looks rubbish... characters like M W w m y all look blured/faded. Its only slight but it just looks annoying.. like looking at the output of an old typerwriter where some letters dont strike hard enough. Admitidly I like to use a smaller font.. but even up at 11pt its noticable.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#38]
Nah, I thought it was cack too.

Straight back to Fixedsys for me.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#39]
... and me (even with Cleartype).

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#40]
Oh I didn't really notice that before, but I can live with it.

John J.(Posted 2007) [#41]
Nice, I like Consolas (it seems to fit more text on the screen, at the same time being just as readible). Courier New is fine, but it's nice to change just for variety now and then.

AdrianT(Posted 2007) [#42]
Thought I'd give it a try too, not committed to it yet but will give it some time :).

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#43]

Consolas is downloadable here:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displayLang=en

Straight from MS, so I guess it is legal. :)

The download is broken for me. Everything on microsoft.com will not download for me, and it has been like this for over a month. It says "page cannot be displayed". Any other place to download?

Floyd(Posted 2007) [#44]
The download is broken for me.

Maybe you have scripts disabled in your browser? I do and often think pages are broken until I (temporarily) re-enable them.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#45]
You need Visual Studio for it. What a drag.

Edit: @Xlsior - the website has no download link.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#46]
Yeah, I have Visual Studio, so I didn't realize that was a requirement, sorry.

Dock(Posted 2007) [#47]
I just use Lucida Console for monospace text editing. It serves me fine, and it's a standard font in XP.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#48]
No matter what font I choose, there's always something I don't like about it. My favorite by far was the Blitz3D font, but apparently I can't use that with IDEal, so now I'm stuck with things I don't like.

Kanati(Posted 2007) [#49]
I use lucida console (8) most of the time, but I'll give consolas and bitstream vera sans a shot.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#50]
You need Visual Studio for it. What a drag.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69589#778732

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#51]
its gotta be fixed width, nothing worse than staggered values.
i used to like textmode (basic dos), it was fixed width and easy to read. For some reason the system font looks chunky in windows :x

H&K(Posted 2007) [#52]
Blitz3D font, but apparently I can't use that with IDEal
A reason not to use Ideal then?
I mean that in all seriousness, the only problem I have with BLide is that since the change betwwen 8.7 and 8.8 Tab sizes are now not constant, under my fav font

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#53]
I using Arial (with adjacent spaces for operators, spaces after commas, tabs, etc..) because it's compact and allow more text to fit into the code window.

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2007) [#54]
Just found this:
www.proggyfonts.com/

Anyone who hasn't checked out these fonts is doing themselves a disservice.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#55]
My favorite by far was the Blitz3D font, but apparently I can't use that with IDEal, so now I'm stuck with things I don't like.

Oh? I'm using it right now - it's one of my favourites too (if only because it harks back to a happier more innocent time... or something).

What stops you?

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#56]
I tried Proggyclean but it looks really blocky, I want something smooth. The perfect font would be Comic Sans but with each letter the same width, and have operators be extra wide so that you don't have to put in whitespaces to make it look clear.
Is there anything like that?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#57]
Well err isnt that consolas?

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#58]

The download is broken for me.

Maybe you have scripts disabled in your browser? I do and often think pages are broken until I (temporarily) re-enable them.

If I have scripts disabled then its really hard to figure out how to enable them. Anyways I tried the download on 2 computers with different versions of IE and XP and tried using restore defaults and tried setting the security to lowest, etc. All downloads from mircosoft always instantly say page cannot be displayed. And I have a legal XP.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#59]
You can use the Blitz3D font with IDEal? Maybe I just have an old version.

When you select the font, what's it called?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#60]
All downloads from mircosoft always instantly say page cannot be displayed
Stupid question, but have you tried out of US Buisness hours?

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#61]
Buggy:

In the section of IDEal where you select the font, it's just called 'Blitz' and (unconfirmed) it seems to default to a 9.75 point size.

The actual file in your Fonts folder is called 'Blitz.fon'.

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#62]
Here's a good site

http://www.lowing.org/fonts/

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#63]
I am on a Mac here and use a font named Optima at size Regular 15. It looks like this: It's one of the clearest and most comfortable fonts I've found to use for BlitzMax. Setting up your colors to be easy on the eye and complementary is helpful too.