Blide - takes ages to open ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blide - takes ages to open ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#1]
Just started to use this. and noticed that it takes almost 2 full minutes just to open the IDE.

AMD Duel Core, 1 GIG ram and XP Pro.

Is it meant to be that slow ?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#2]
No, it takes about 7 seconds on my machinne. Intel PIV. That's very weird. What's BLIde doing most of the time? (Building module's framework, or what is displayed?)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
It loads in about 3-4 seconds on my machine.

When you first install it it takes about 7-10 seconds on my machine to startup. After that it's quick.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#4]
After i open it, it takes about 30 seconds before i even see any evidence that the thing was even run, then you get the wee window up.

its then about another 60+ seconds until its ready to go.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#5]
It seems like a trojan to me. not sure tho. Are you running BLIde on a remote machine, or do you have BlitzMax on a remote server? If using Vista, be sure to be running BLIde from an administrative account

Amon(Posted 2007) [#6]
Do you have the latest windows updates. I think there was a .net update a couple of days ago that you could try. Although BLide started and ran fine without that update on my machine.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
It opens very slowly on my PC, too - always has. Athlon XP3000+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM, WinXP.

Once the IDE is open (about 30s), it takes 20s more to open a 5000 line file.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#8]
I can boot it up in about 2 seconds or less, the thing I concerned is parsing speed...

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#9]
16 seconds here, but that's including opening up a big project. But who cares about the load time when, if you're like me, have it open 24/7.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#10]
But Yavin is talking of 2 minutes. Do you have latest BLIde version? There was an issue with networking and component certificates under vista that could introduce this kind of lags on .net applications. This has been solved in last version (removing control certificates), and there's also a vista hot fix.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#11]
Yeah I have an upto date version from the site.

Give me a second I will time it exactly for each event.. hang on.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#12]
ok.

Double click icon
-Time : 1 minute 24 seconds
Splash screen appears and IDE starts to display
-Time : 19 seconds
IDE is up
-Time : 10 seconds
IDE and Help page is up and IDE is ready to us.

thats about exact as I can get it.

Duel Core AMD 64 bit, Windows XP 64, .net 3, everthing is current as far as I can tell.

Its slow to the point that I tried to run it a few times thinking it wasnt doing anything the first time.

CPU usages is 1% or there abouts.
Memory jumps upto about 400 meg during bootup, and then drops down to about 10 as the ide loads.

Not sure what else I can tell you.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yavin, that's very strange. Can you open BLIde, once opened disable the option 'check for BLIde updates on start-up). Then disable your network connection, and start BLIde again, then tell me if you see any difference? (this Vista issue with certificates was only happening with some vista users using a LAN). Are you using the x86 version of .net on a 64 bit windows?

EDIT: Sorry, I've just seen you're using XP 64. I'm pretty sure it is a windows issue, I'll investigate to be sure if there's anything I can do to fix this particular issue for you. Anyway, be sure to not be using .net x86 instead of .net x64

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#14]
No change. I doubt its the network, My cable connection is more than fast enough to handle checking for updates.

I am using .net 64 as far as I am aware. .net 3 installed.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#15]
I have no idea of what can be happening, Can you gevi a try to to the BLIde Recover Utility, and tell me if it takes this long to open?

I don't thing also it is a psoblem with your internet connection, I think it can be a problem with microsoft certificates validation, that was affecting some users when they were conected to a LAN. Anyway, do you have .net debuging enabled?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#16]
I think if you install .net 2.0 sp 1 in your machine, everything should run fine. .net 2.0 is compatible with 3.0, there's no problem to have both installed in the same computer. (.net 2.0 applications will be compiled with the .net 2.0 framework, and .net 3.0 applications will be compiled with the .net 3.0 framework)