Are we ever going to see cross-platform video?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Are we ever going to see cross-platform video?

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#1]
Has no-one come up with a solution yet? Quicktime or Ogg Theora?

Anyone?

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#2]
Has no-one come up with a solution yet? Quicktime or Ogg Theora?
I'm thinking Bink is probably as good a choice as any. I guess it depends on what you consider cross-platform.

If
the Sony PLAYSTATION (R) 3, Sony Playstation Portable (PSP), the Nintendo Wii, the Nintendo DS, the Xbox 360 and the Xbox consoles (using pixel shaders!), the Sony PlayStation 2 console, all versions of 32-bit Windows, Windows 64, the Xbox console, the Nintendo GameCube console, MacOS, MacOS X and GNU/Linux.
are all the platforms you need, you should be just fine.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#3]
Is there any BlitzMax library that can deal with Bink?

deps(Posted 2007) [#4]
bink costs $6000. $7500 if you want support for Wii, ps3, xbox360, etc.

I don't think there will ever exist a bmax module for it.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#5]
If someone buys me a license, I could throw together a module :-)

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#6]
If someone buys me a license, I could throw together a module :-)
I'll remember you said that. Hell you've already written practically every other module I need, but which is missing from BlitzMAX (except NPTL, but I'm thinking you'll have done that by the time I really need it). Hell $6000 USD is only about a months salary in the first place. Definitely worth it IMHO.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#7]
Why not write a module for something better then, say for instance divx? It's working fine on linux, win32 and macosX. An alternative could be flash video, like youtube, I'm sure the quality can be upped.

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#8]
Why not a wrapper for Ogg Theora? (I heard Skidracer had it almost working, then the thread just died) - or Quicktime? (I've seen commercial games use it quite often...) Unfortunately that kind of thing's not my fotre or I'd have a stab at it.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#9]
OT or Quicktime wouldn't bother me either. As long as it's not bink :p