DrawText Conundrum on an old PC

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/DrawText Conundrum on an old PC

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi there,

I've written an application in BlitzMax which works just fine - but when I try to run it on an older machine (800Mhz CPU) it seems that the DrawText command isn't working correctly.

I've installed Blitzmax on the machine now so i can see what part isn't working and it does indeed seem that the DrawText command is just being ignored.

Graphical commands (such as DrawRect and DrawOval) work just fine.

Any clues as to why this is the case? DirectX10 is installed.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
Can you supply a small example program showing the problem? If you change the drawtext to a print or debuglog statement does it display OK?

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yes, no problems. Here's an example of some code.

------------------------------------------------------
Strict

Graphics 640,480,0

While Not KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)

Cls

DrawText "Press Escape to Quit",0,0
DebugLog "Press Escape to Quit"

Flip

Wend
------------------------------------------------------

In the above example I get just a black screen with no text on it - but the Debug Log shows lots and lots of 'Press Escape to Quit' so I know that the loop is functioning correctly.

Also, if I put a 'SetClsColor Rand(1,255),Rand(1,255),Rand(1,255)' just prior to the CLS then I get a really trippy flashing effect.

It seems that the problem is just with the DrawText command. I've also tried using the LoadImageFont and SetImageFont functions and this makes no difference either.

I'm really confused.......

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#4]
Oh, it also seems the problem occurs when running any of the samples that come with Blitz. Starfield Pong, for example, runs just fine but the scores aren't displayed!! :o

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#5]
Using an nVidia brand graphics card by any chance?

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#6]
Nope - not nVidia - but granted it's not a blazing spec.

It's actually an old Dell PC with an integrated Intel 82815 Graphics Controller. It's only got 32MB of RAM but i'm hardly asking it to leap through hoops.

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#7]
Having dug around for 82815 I think the problem could be the totally crappy Intel drivers.

canbedeleted(Posted 2007) [#8]
-

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#9]
Does it mess up using both DirectX and OpenGL mode?

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#10]
shouldnt matter much for a game, better to use a bitmap font routine.