Max Community IDE.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Max Community IDE.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#1]
At what stage is it ?

Is it more uptodate than the default Max IDE, ? or has it slipped and missed some updates. just wana know before i go and download it.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Slightly O/T - the default IDE is undergoing a complete overhaul. Mark mentioned it in passing a few days back, and said it was about a month away.

So I'm waiting for that.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ah, that sounds really interesting then I think I will use the CE one till that comes out then.

Hope it adds enough..

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#4]
The compiled version available on sf.net should have key updates in it. The latest source (in maxide2) has all changes from the official version where the source has been made public, which I believe is most of the fixes to date.

This version of code (maxide2) is in transition, and I am currently trying to glue together a new "codearea" and "lexer" that will deliver additional functionality (like folding, and improved parsing), but does compile and should be pretty stable (I use it day to day).

I am interested in the comments from mark in another thread about the official IDE getting a rewrite. Skid has started two rewrites that I know of (a module based version, and a more recent version), so am not sure whether this is one of those, or just a rejig of existing code, or what. Obviously if it's any good, one has to ask why bother with the CE version, but let's see what actually arrives.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68482#769411

marksibly (Posted 1 week ago)
Hi,

The IDE is undergoing a massive rewrite that will fix tons of problems. Due date is hopefully about a month away.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#6]
Precisely.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#7]
Mark T, have you managed any improvements for the Linux GTK version? Right now it's a bit ugly (better than the previous Linux IDE, but ugly nonetheless)... Too small buttons (GTK / Gnome likes big buttons) and glitches where merely hovering over widgets will trigger the click event. Also, resizing that sidebar is clunky / buggy/ broken, and the pane's slider is invisible. (I believe Brucey explained some of these in one of his threads in the Linux section, but I forget his explanation).

That IDE seems pretty much the only suitable solution for Linux users right now, so it will be great once it works.

I bet the gtkmaxgui module has seen some improvements since that was compiled, so perhaps it's magically nicer already?

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#8]
Big buttons and glitches where merely hovering over widgets will trigger the click event. Also, resizing that sidebar is clunky / buggy/ broken, and the pane's slider is invisible.

Sounds like a mess ;-)
The button/event stuff is sorted in CVS I believe.

The sidebar resize issue is all on my shoulders, alas... I promise to look into getting it working ASAP...
(I kind of get distracted a lot - you know how it is)

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#9]
Sorry, I meant small buttons, and that one is entirely the IDE's doing. The UI obviously isn't designed with GTK's preference for big buttons in mind...
(Wouldn't hurt to change that everywhere, though; who doesn't like big buttons?)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#10]
Yup, the weird event stuff is fixed in the CVS version, not recently compiled.

As for big buttons, well, I guess we'd have to add code to set a "size" based on your platform (and possibly user preference), as they look fine to me on windows, and I wouldn't want 'em bigger..there aren't *that* many buttons are there? IDE options, find and other requesters...

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#11]
I know a lot of effort has gone into the community edition. It seems a shame some of that can't be pulled into the official version.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#12]
Let's not get started on *that* one...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#13]
I guess we'd have to add code to set a "size" based on your platform

It's what I have to do for any cross-platform UI apps I've made. Buttons are different sizes on all three platforms - not to mention comboboxes...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#14]
Also, resizing that sidebar is clunky / buggy/ broken

By jove.. I think I've cracked it :-)

Panel MouseMove events seem to be rock solid now..
(Get your update (1.19) either via syncmods or the website)

Enjoy :o)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#15]
yeah, I was thinking aloud...so would you advise one "scaling" figure, or one for x, one for y for all buttons, or different for different platforms?

I can see a way to easily implement this in the CE IDE code actually, as the locale code is achieved by simply over-riding the bmx gui command set, looking up the correct text, and calling the underlying command. This over-ridden function could do the scaling too...

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#16]
*Sigh* Poor me still doesn't own MaxGUI :(

No rush, but any chance of a new build on Sourceforge some day?

grable(Posted 2007) [#17]
No rush, but any chance of a new build on Sourceforge some day?

You could grab this while you wait for a more official download ;)
Win32 binary from maxide2 CVS. MaxIDE-CE_2.0alpha.zip

Note that its still in development, so it could mess up, but ive been running it for a while now, and have found it very stable.
And if you find any bugs, please post them on the Bug Tracker

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#18]
Thank you for fixing the CTRL+Tab / CTRL+Arrow issue. I have been running a patched build because I just couldn't take it anymore ;)

I have one suggestion... I would like to be able to "lock" one of the open source files as the main file which is sent to BMK when I hit Build. This way I don't have to switch to the main file when editing an included/imported file, then hit build, then switch back to my include to continue editing. Would help quite a bit.

Maybe this sort of thing is supposed to be in the projects dialog, but in this build (as well as the official one) that dialog doesn't seem to do anything. (The Properties button is always disabled.)

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#19]
By the way, guys, I love the new Code tree and To Do tab. Those are great.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#20]
I would like to be able to "lock" one of the open source files as the main file

Is this the same as the Program->Lock Build File option menu option?

Or something else?

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#21]
Oh... yes... it is. Hmm. I swear that wasn't there before.

I guess I'd like to be able to see what file is selected as the build file, maybe in the status bar or something... anyway, yeah I guess the feature is already there.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#22]
It should say, in the tabber, something like "build:test_02.bmx" - assuming you have the build file open.