Any Interest in a "Network Framework" library?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Any Interest in a "Network Framework" library?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi All,

I wonder- Would any of you be interested in a Network "library" that goes a little further than just deals with messaging?

I intend to code a framework that will deal with log-ons, log-offs, and even updates your objects for you via callbacks.
I've been heavily inspired by Torques networking whereby you just set and go.

In this library, you will call logon, logoff, insert all interactive objects into the network, and call updatenetwork once per loop.

The system will call update functions of your choice (via callbacks) when a certain message is received. Since this will be different in each project it will of course be up to you to code what's in those functions ;)

An extract from the design doc I started coding a few days ago:

Example session:
>>>Player1 Creates server.
>>>Player2 sends logon request to player1’s IP
>>>Player1 broadcasts logon of player2 and sends player2 logon messages for each player in game.

On media creation, each object that is interactable is flagged in code:

>>> Network.AddtoNetwork(Gameobject:object,<updatefunction here>*)

Each player ship is set up on the network like thus:

>>> Network.SetPlayerObjectID(Player1:TNetworkObject,ID)

And then, each frame,

>>> Network.Update()

is called.

Also, please be aware I will be working on this in my spare time, which isn't so often.

Any comments? Any information you'd like? Bare in mind the idea is to keep it simple yet have it work, any features you might see useful? (I will only implement what fits in with the design..)

Scaremonger(Posted 2007) [#2]
I've started on a Networking framework for games I am developing, so if you'd like to share the development and code. I'm interested.

(Of course that depends on whether you wanted to sell yours, or make available for free).

Currently I have TCP implemented with message hooks for the server/client events (OnConnect, onDataArrival etc). Just about to implement game protocols and a packet stack.