Hopefully Easy Module Compile Question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Hopefully Easy Module Compile Question

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello,

I'm trying to compile the latest BNetEx module, and am having problems. I've tried both from the IDE and from the command line, and get the same error.

c:> bmk makemods

results in

Compiling:blitz_app.c
Build Error: failed to compile c:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c

I've synchronized my modules, and am using BMax 1.24 on XP. Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
do you have MinGW installed?

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#3]
I don't believe so -- I just checked through all my module folders and don't see anything by that name...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#4]
MinGW isn't a Blitzmax module, but you DO need it to be installed and properly set up before you can build modules.

I'll find a link.

[edit] This should help you to get it all up and running.

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#5]
Great, thank you for that. It seemed to improve the situation dramatically. I'm still getting an error though:

Can't find interface for module 'brl.maxgui'

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#6]
disable quick build and try again.

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#7]
Update: By removing the folder win32maxgui.mod from my modules folder, I was able to compile everything else.

If anyone from BRL is reading this thread, this process needs to be documented, and perhaps the needed MinGW files could be installed by default, or at least there could be a script file to fetch and install the files, and update the environment variables. The process I went through is somewhat ridiculous given the recompile function is so easily available from the IDE.

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#8]
Pertubatio -- quickbuild is disabled, that's not the problem.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#9]
Did you install the version of MinGW specifically recommended in that thread GFK linked to? Normally the reason that Win32MaxGUI won't compile is that you're using the wrong version of MinGW.

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#10]
One more thing -- after everything compiled, I noticed that the one module I really wanted to compile, BNetEx, did not compile. There were no relevant errors reported; it almost seems as if the recompile process did not notice that I added the module to my mod/pub folder. Anyone know how to get it compiled?

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#11]
Gabriel -- I did indeed use the version specified in the thread.

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#12]
Are you running Vista? If so,heres a post by Shawn Sullivan:-

Shaun Sullivan (Posted 2 months ago)

Hi guys after poking around I found the fix. Vista does some more strict parameter checking and needs some help with finding stuff.

Here is what I did to fix:

1. Install MinGW to c:\MinGW
2. Set Mingw env variable=c:\MinGw
3. Add c:\MinGW\Bin to path

(from here on is the Vista-specific fixes)

4. Add C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.2.3 to your path
5. Create an environment variable named GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and set it to c:\MinGW

That should do it. Note, I suggest you install MinGW to c:\MinGW since from what I have seen the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX fix may not work unless it refers to a directory off the root.

Hope this helps!

Shaun

Just in case! ;)

Dabz

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#13]
Dabz -- No, XP, and everything else compiled. The error message I posted above suggests that something from Win32MaxGUI is missing.

Another update: I got BNetEx to compile my moving it up a level, from the mod/pub folder to the mod/ folder, and recompiling everything (except Win32MaxGUI, of course ;-) again.