BLIde 0.8.16 is out

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.8.16 is out

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello to everybody. A new BLIde version is out.

This is the changelog
0.8.16 version (major changes:)

- Improvement on local shortcuts tree
- Preliminar integration of the new language BLIdeScript. current version is for test purposes only. It is a script engine based on a modified version of LUA.
- Fixed a focus bug on some action buttons
- BLIde Plus improvements:
- - Each program on a project, can now have an icon and a UPX compression level associated.
- - BLIde can now call directly the BLIde Professional Publisher with the apropiated ICON and UPX level

NOTE: To activate the BLIde Plus add-on, you will require a BLIde Plus license. Go to: HELP / ACTIVATE BLIDE PLUS LICENSE

Please, once you have installed this version, I would like to know if you can do the following:

1.- Select File / New / BLIdeScript

A new document window should be displayed. Then:

2.- Copy and paste this code in the code window: (you will need to make right mouse button click to see the copy / paste menu from the script window)
-- This is a BLIde Script test
print "The script has been initialized."
Function ShowVersion()
	msg("Current BLIdeScript Verson: " .. _version)
	i = 0
	while i<100 do
		i = i + 1
		print ("iteration number " .. i)
	end
end

showversion()
print "the script has ended"

3.- Hit the run button and tell me if you see any error. You should see the BLIde Script version information, and some additional text on the BLIde console.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#2]
Heh Ziggy!

I've just bought BlIde because I think it's definitely worth the amount of effort you put into the project, and BlIde is such a nice IDE.

There's still a problem I'm getting though, and after downloading the latest release (0.8.16), the problem still exists.

Basically, if I load my project as soon as BlIde starts, it loads, and then crashes and doesn't recover no matter how long I wait. However, if I create a new single BMX file, then open my project, it loads perfectly.

It's not a major problem - I can still access my project if I perform the above steps but it would be nice to get it working.

What do you need to know - I can't really give you the source...

Thanks

Seb

P.S. Below is the Vista solution report (don't think it will be much use but attached it just in case)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#3]
@Seb: can you send me the BLIde file? (not the bmx source code) Is it happening when you double-click on a BLIde file to open a project, or you're opening the project from within BLIde? If so, can I have an screenshot of BLIde hung (just to see some details as instance, if the loading project window is shown, or the first project file is being parsed, etc...)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for the update! There's an error on the site - the downloads page still lists it as 0.8.15.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#5]
I've uploaded a screenshot here:

And to answer your other questions, it happens whether I double click the file, or open it from with the IDE. It crashes just after finishing loading every file, at which point the loading window hides and the app freezes (including the blinking cursor). Finally, the contents of the project file (according to a hex editor) is:

Hope this helps...

Thanks

Seb

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#6]
Please, once you have installed this version, I would like to know if you can do the following:

1.- Select File / New / BLIdeScript

A new document window should be displayed. Then:

2.- Copy and paste this code in the code window: (you will need to make right mouse button click to see the copy / paste menu from the script window)

3.- Hit the run button and tell me if you see any error. You should see the BLIde Script version information, and some additional text on the BLIde console.

I tried the above and whenever I hit the Run button or press F5, a message box appears saying "No file selected".

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
@Seb: This BLIde file is corrupted. Create again your project and the bug you mention has to be fixed. To the BLIdeScript thing, you have to press the RUN button in the BLIdeScript document (at the bottom-right side of the window).

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#8]
@Seb: This BLIde file is corrupted. Create again your project and the bug you mention has to be fixed. To the BLIdeScript thing, you have to press the RUN button in the BLIdeScript document (at the bottom-right side of the window).

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#9]
I've just tried remaking the project file using the wizard, and it crashes as soon as the wizard tries to open the newly created file. I've zipped and e-mailed you the newly created project file.

Re: BLIde script, I didn't see that button - sorry! Yeah it works fine, giving me the version number and outputting the iterations in the console.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#10]
@Seb: Does it fix anything removing the import of resources? (mac and windows)

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#11]
Ziggy: Somehow my project now links "max2d.bmx" as a dependency and loads in into the Local Shortcuts window along with my other project files. How do I remove this? What would cause BLIde to think that file was part of my project?

I've done "Refresh Dependencies Tree" and it still comes back.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#12]
Do you have any import "max2d.bmx" command? It seems that you're importing or including this file on the project with an import or include statement.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#13]
Sorry, not had much time to test but I've just tried commenting out all the imports (every single one) and it still does the same thing.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#14]
No, there is no import or include for "max2d.bmx" anywhere in my file.

I know that the max2d.bmx file opened earlier this week when I tracked a bug through the call stack. In fact, max2d.bmx is still listed in the call stack even though the error has been fixed. Can I clear the call stack?

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#15]
Ziggy...not sure why/how but it fixed itself. I rebooted the system and all was fixed(?).

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#16]
??? That's very strange. The only reason this could happen is that this bmx module file was opened on a debugging session and reopened if 'reopen last' is enabled on the BLIde config... ?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#17]
Nice update, Ziggy.
It's very stable and very fast now, for me. This IDE has come a long way.

Just a few bothers:

-If I want to refresh the module cache, I have to find "Refresh module cache on next startup", then restart BLIde myself. Can it refresh it without restarting?

-Why do I have to manually tell BLIde to refresh the module cache? My suggestion is that the module cache could store when each module was last updated, then on startup BLIde could check through the mod directories to see if anything was updated since then. (Windows seems to mark a directory as modified if any of the files inside of it have changed).

-Why is the project reopened and the undo history cleared when I refresh a project's dependency tree? I'm sure you have a good reason, but it is pretty weird.

-Those buttons like the one's below the Preferences ("BLIde settings") window look a bit weird. They are nice and flashy, but they don't fit with the rest of the theme. Have you tried something a bit simpler? (With less animation?)

How about collecting some templates for BLIde? Right now there is just one :(
It would be pretty cool if individual modules could have their own templates for BLIde located somewhere...
Perhaps there could be a BLIdeTemplates folder inside modules' directories.

Anyway, just some ideas to ponder if you're searching for any. Nothing hugely necessary; it looks like a few others are having stability issues that are of course more important. Your synchronize modules window is still the nicest, by the way! I just updated all the bah modules without using the command line. Yay!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#18]
0.8.16 is hanging a lot for me. When I hit compile with a fair number of tabs open, there's a good chance it will just sit there. The mouse cursor changes to an hourglass, and then.. nothing.

I've noticed the same thing happen a few times when a compile error occurs. The popup window which tells me about the error pops up, I hit ok, expecting it to open the right file/tab and show me the line with the error, but again it just changes the mouse to the hourglass icon and hangs.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#19]
Anymore ideas concerning the crashes when my project is opened?

Regards

Seb

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#20]
@Picklesworth: checking if a mods folder has been changed in order to refresh the modules caché is something I would preffer not to do. I don't want BLIde to deppend on the user's system date and time. I will add an option in the Start Menu to start BLIde refreshing the module's cache directly (no need to start it, then tell it to refresh, and then restart it again with the updates).

To the project being reopened when the dependencies tree is refreshed, this was the easiest way to make a real refreshment of the dependencies tree. I will improve this ASAP.

To the buttons look issue, I will make it simpler or customizable as soon as I have some time. It is something that would be nice to improve, but it is not a main priority now.

@Gabriel: I will update the SyntaxEdit parser to a new version wich I think have this issue solved. It is something releated to multi threading. And It is only happening to some users.

@Seb: I'm working on it. I will tell you any progress.

@Everybody: I'm focusing all development in a new parser. I will have a little sample application at the end of this week. This new parser doesn't use the Actipro Syntax editor any more, Actipro Syntax Editor reveals a very improductive CPU usage on some computers. The new parser is a hardcoded dedicated parser directly written to process BMX source code. The text rendered is based on the QuantumWhale syntax editor control wich is faster than the Actipro one. There are some issues being addressed such as autocapitalization and outlining. Outlining will be performed on a secondary low priority thread, that can introduce a little latency on folding appearing, but it frees a lot of resources. (this is done in the same way on the Scintilla editor).

This new parser has a internal core-api very different to the one currently being used on BLIde. This will make the migration a little complicated and long.

As soon as I have the first little application test, I would like that all the users that are experiencing a slow BLIde parsing speed, give it a try and let me know if it worked for them.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#21]
I would like to add some code templates to BLIde, in order to be usable by all BLIde users. If anyone of you have a nice template, please fell free to post it and I will add it to the BLIde distro. Obviously the template author name and everything will be also included in the distro.

Tiger(Posted 2007) [#22]
Hi, I have a problem with 0.8.16 version.
When I create a new project or a new blitzmax file and enter some code and then compile it, something strange happens...
Blide opens a old source file I open before and compile it. (a old tab appers).
Its impossible to compile anything else but this old code.

Regards

Micke.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#23]
Can you tell me the exacts steps you take to get this bug? I would like very much to fix it.

Tiger(Posted 2007) [#24]
Ok, I start blide.
I select File in the menu and then New/BlitzMax File.
New tab is created and I enter some code, any code..
Then I press F5 or F6, a tab is open with the old code I enter yesterday, old code compiles and started.
I even try to remove Blide, delete the folder and install it again. Still same problem..

I have 32bit vista, if it helps..

Regards,

Micke.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#25]
Can I know the name of the files and their location? Does it help if you specify a filename before compiling? Do you have enabled the option 'open last' in the blide start mode?

Tiger(Posted 2007) [#26]
I found the problem, I run blide in administrator mode and it works fine again.
Sorry for the time I waste and thanks for a greate IDE.

Regards,

Micke.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#27]
It is a vista speciffic issue, releated to the vista file system emulation performed on non administrative accounts. I will think a way to solve this. By the way, where those files called untitled.bmx ?

Tiger(Posted 2007) [#28]
Yeah, untitled.bmx was the name of them.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#29]
I will add a GUID to the temporal file names to ensure this doesn't happen again to any vista user. Thanks!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#30]
It would be nice if Blide ignored Includes which are remmed out, since the compiler does.

Currently if I have this :

Rem

Include "Blah.bmx"
Include "AnotherThing.bmx"
Include "ThisAndThat.bmx"

End Rem

Blide complains that the includes are not there. It shouldn't really be scanning within Rem's for includes though, the compiler evidently doesn't.

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#31]
Hi Ziggy, great IDE! Cheers

I've noticed a couple of things though the Local Shortcuts are all alphabetical and not by type and alphabetical, whereas the combo boxes above the edit window are buy type!

Also the shortcuts and combo box do not have all of the methods they only include 17 methods of the class?

Regards

Merx

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#32]
Yes, they are sorted alphabetically, I think I can improve this someway and I'll take it on consideration for a next update. The combo boxes have all methods defined in each class . It should show all of them, no only 17. Take in consideration that inherithed methods, functions or fields are not included as shortcuts unless they are overloaded. If they are not overloaded there is no code to jump to.

Many thanks for the possitive feedback, I hope I will improve the local shortcuts soon.

siread(Posted 2007) [#33]
Hi Ziggy. I've upgraded a pc to Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium and get the same problem as Seb. When I start up a project file it hangs after loading the bmx files. Thankfully, if I create a blank bmx first it then loads the project file ok.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#34]
Does the crash provide any information in a debu window? If so, can I have this information?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#35]
Does the crash provide any information in a debu window? If so, can I have this information?
Be sure to run BLIde from an administrative account under Vista, to ensure it is not a virtualization issue.

EDIT: This version of BLIde is obsolete. Please admins, lock this topic.