Shooter Game.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Shooter Game.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#1]

I am starting a new project, which will be an up screen shooter that will make use of some material that I have already to save some time in development.

The above screen shot shows what I call a Tile, a screen might show 5 Tiles at a time, and a level of course will be many tiles long.

I am creating my tiles all as generic blank slates, much like the one above, I will then edit and create a set of unique tiles for each zone in the the game, which will allow me to create dynamic levels that always look different but that still fit with each other as the basic shap of the tiles wont change.

Anyone think this is worth doing ? or would it be better on the CPU and memory if I just make one big level model per zone and fill it with all the detail it comes with ? or keep this tile idea iv got.

Its been a while since iv done anything a few years to be exact so just wanted to check this and run it past you guys to see if there will be any major issues.

PS. posting this on both B3D and Max forums as I am not sure which language I will be using, will probably pick based on responses from this post.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
In Bmax if you scroll and draw at integer coordinates it'll be fine but if you want to draw at floating point coords, the edges may look a bit funny unless you start making meshes and stuff (so I'm told)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#3]
hmm... didnt know that.. thanks for the info. think I'm gona make it in B3D for now and then port it to Max later when the 3D module comes out.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
OK look forward to it!

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#5]
In Bmax if you scroll and draw at integer coordinates it'll be fine but if you want to draw at floating point coords, the edges may look a bit funny unless you start making meshes and stuff (so I'm told)
Actually, it's the other way around.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#6]
What Grey is referring to is that we discovered when you have FILTEREDIMAGE it only blends nicely *within* the pixels/fragments being drawn inscreen and doesn't antialiase the edges of the filled polygons to merge well with adjacent polygons, which is especially apparently when edges are a floating point amount separate from each other. What we went on to say however is that polygon antialiasing is what you need to correct the issue.