New BLIde version and BLIde Plus! add on

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New BLIde version and BLIde Plus! add on

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#1]
There's a new BLIde version out. for newcomers, BLIde is an integrated development environment for BlitzMax, developed using the MicroSfot .net Framework (so windows only). for more information check http://www.blide.org

This is the main change log for this new version:
# Fixed a bug in the Learning Module's Keywords, when the cache was being created.

# Fixed a bug that was making BLIde crash when a QuickLoad was being executed on a remote file, and the remote file was not accesible.

# Fixed a bug on the Bug Report dialog

# Fixed a bug of the keyword "sumary" Now this keyword is "Summary" (sumary still works for backwards compatibility)

# Fixed a little memory leak

# Improved a little bit parsing speed

# integration with BLIde Plus add on that allows:
        * Full hilighting for LUA files (BLide Plus)
        * Full hiligting for XML files (BLide Plus)
        * Direct on-line support (BLide Plus)
        * Full intellisense for non open source modules,
          such as the TV3D wonderful wrapper of Gabriel or
          the pIsaac newton - based module of  pyroplay (BLide Plus).

As you can see this version integrates the BLide Plus Add On. This addon is comercial,so you would need a BLIde Plus license to activate it. This license can be purchased on line, on the BLIde site, see http://www.blide.org/nueva/addons.htm
Purchasing this license, also gives you access to the BLIde Professional Publisher, that will let you build your applications with small size (due to its UPX in-exe compression integration) and add an ICO of your choice to the final EXE. It also comes with a Photoshop (or paint shop pro) plug in to read and write ICO files with all transparency intact (alpha channel, not ugly masked).

The fact that this addon is comercial and integrated on BLIde, doesn't mean that BLIde is not free any more. BLIde IS and WILL BE free, but to get some additional features, and to be able to provide support, I decided to launch this License.

All BLIde users will be able to activate any future BLIde addon with the BLIde Plus License. Regular BLIde will continue being free.

To BLIde donators: Anyone who has made any donation of any amount, in the past couple of years, can ask for a free BLIde Plus license. just email me and, once I check the donations history, I will send the BLIde Plus activation code by email, for free.

To BLIde Professional Publisher Owners: All owners of the BLIde Professinal Publisher can activate the BLIde Plus add on with the same username and activation code they got when they bought BLIde Professional Publisher. All BLIde add ons can be activates with the same username and password.

To activate the BLIde Plus AddOn: Once you get the activation code, go to HELP / ACTIVATE BLIDE PLUS LICENSE. There a dialog will open asking you to enter the requested activation code.

[EDIT] If you uninstall previous version fully (deleting BLIde Path after restart), be sure to run the BLIde Recover Utility before running BLIde 0.8.15, or you will get a crash at start-up.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Brilliant. Downloading now. :)

H&K(Posted 2007) [#3]
ohohoh new stuff

popcade(Posted 2007) [#4]
Cool.

One point, the parsing speed still has very much to improve IMHO, tried HydraMax and the speed is great.

Another thing is .NET dependency, I tried to get rid off that by using MONO/Bundler, no result yet, I'm not against .NET but I hope there'll be some solution.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#5]
@yoko: Parser speed is one of the main development focus, it is being improved in every release, but it is the most delicated part of BLIde. It is running great on my computer, and it is not a dual core, anyway I hope I will be able to improve it in future updates.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#6]
Sorry, seems like something got broken. Uninstalled the older version and deleted what was left of it from the Program Files folder, and get the following error after all the post-installation dialogue boxes the first time I run it...

"Error getting Module Keywords. Could not find file 'I:\Program Files\The Factory.ws\BLIde for BlitzMax\hlpdata.hdc'"

After pressing OK, I get the following unhandled exception in the "Learning module's keywords" dialogue box.

For some reason I now get the same error if I try to go back to 8.0.14 - even though it worked before!

I am running Vista, although like I said, it worked before! This is a shame because I now can't use BLIde at all and have to resort to the normal IDE for the time being :o(

EDIT - OK, that was weird. Restarted it and it worked fine. Seems a bit odd though.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
@JazzieB:Yes, you have to run the BLIde recover utility, and you'll get done, it is becouse you have deleted a file that is not created again when BLIde is reinstalled over a previous version... it is not a real problem, just run the BLIde recover utility, and you'll get done. This shouldn't happen to you any more. Anyway, I'll add a check to ensure that, if this happens, BLIde doesn't crash (just recreates the file).

After a restart, BLIde has automatically recovered, becouse BLIde recreates all its database automatically after a number of 'restarts' to ensure the module cache is 'up to date' and reflecting latests module's changes. When you restarted it, it just rebuilt the file that was missing. This crash seems more than it really is. Whenever you want to HARD update BLIde, run the BLIde recover utility before uninstalling a previous version, or run it before running the new one. This way, you will force a 'real' full update, as BLIde setup, normaly only updates the needed parts.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#8]
16€? and now you think that I will ask for a free license, because I donated? Now you keep coding and making this fine ide blizzering fast and I will let my cash flow :) Good job ziggy and now focus on speed speed speed speed speed and did I say speed? Did you ever think of scintilla?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#9]
16€ not only for the BLIde Plus add on, also for the pro publisher, that comes with Biuld + UPX, icon integration, and Paintshoppro and photoshop plug in to 'save as' ico files. By the way, I'm currently working on a new parser based on QWhale syntax editor, and as soon as I have some tests avilable, I will post them to let user's try its speed and so on. Scintilla looks good, but there are some basic features missing, such as proper outlining without document reparsing, and it has a lot of late binding when used on .net as there is not any good .net version of scintilla (if there is any, let me know). For the tests I've made, full framework intellisense + project intellisense + reparsing for code outlining is a little bit faster than what we have now, but without code hints, and no built in AST support...

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#10]
I love you :) but don't you have any weird fantasies here! ^^

About Scintilla, I tried the B3D Ideal Ide and it feels very fast, but I guess it has less work to do in the background. Would be cool if you could add b3d syntax ;) 'cause I will have to buy it now for a job where I need total backward compatibility <sigh>

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#11]
No, I mean, Scintilla is maybe the fastes hiliiting engine when not used from dot net. There are some port attempts such as scintilla.net but I haven't found any of themt stable or complete. (that's why I was talking about missing basic features)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#12]
I purchased a pro license about an hour ago. Hope to receive the unlock codes soon ziggy. :)

Keep up the good work on this excellent IDE.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#13]
@Amon, you've got your license :D

@Barbapapa: Disabling full modules cache on this version should work faster than full modules cache. The speed issue is on progress, there's not yet a usable alpha version of the completely new parer, and it will delay a little, becouse it forces a deep change on BLIde. Anyway as soon as it is out, I will ask some users to make the first basic speed tests. (not on blide, but on a simple hiliter and outliner applicatoin)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#14]
Got it, Thanks. :)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#15]
To BLIde Plus owners, There's a little update on the BLIde Professional Publiser. Current available version is 0.0.5 It has a better user interface, and some little minor fixes on icon visualization and resource compiler source code generation (little warning removed). An update is recomended.

downloadit here: http://www.blide.org/nueva/addons.htm

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#16]
I made a request to Ziggy a few weeks ago about supporting the Fixedsys (Windows system) font in BLIde, which he said could not be done because it is not a TrueType font.

Well, I found a TT version of the Fixedsys font here...
http://fixedsys.moviecorner.de/?p=download&l=1

Works perfect and gives me the font in BLIde that I find easiest to work with (apparently I'm a minority here, but hey, Courier gives me a headache). Here's a tip: it works best at 11 points. BLIde's font selector shows 10 and 12, so you'll need to manually type 11 and then okay it for it to work. Looks perfect!

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
That looks great :D I've installed it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#18]
Ziggy: My slowdowns and pauses have stopped. :) Nice one!

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#19]
Is there any way you could have the app remember that you prefer having two panes of edit windows next to eachother? I really like working with two panes open at once, it's help productivity quite a bit I find, but it's pretty annoying that I have to set it up everytime I start the app.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#20]
I'm afraid it is not possible in current version. I could take a look, anyway, it implies that BLIde sohud have to remember where (left or right) to place every opened document, and I can't think of an easy way to do this on projects or single bmx files.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#21]
Okay :) Just fyi it also happens every time I refresh dependencies.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#22]
Hey Ziggy, I email you but had not gotten a response so I thought I'd post here. Anyways, the question I had was is it possible to increase the number of UNDO history states? That is the only feature of the default IDE that I miss- the seemingly infinite number of UNDOs you can perform.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#23]
In BLIde you can perform infinite undos, unless you rebuild the dependencies tree (in that case, the undo history is refreshed). If you're not having this infinite undo history, please let me know it. It works ok here. If you do something that 'breaks' the undo history, let me know it also.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#24]
Ziggy,

could take a look, anyway, it implies that BLIde sohud have to remember where (left or right) to place every opened document, and I can't think of an easy way to do this on projects or single bmx files.

Could this not be done fairly easily with an XML file that holds data on where in the IDE various windows were located and which documents were open in them? I, too, would really like to have BLIde remember what my window layout was and where different tabs were located.

SpaceAce

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#25]
And again, not having the rightmost windows constantly pop up every time there's a debugging error. I always have to close them manually after that :(

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#26]
@Spaceace: I will take a look to it and will tell you something asap.

@kronholm: You have to be able to debug errors. Disabling it would disable debuging.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#27]
Zig, do you own blitzmax ?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#28]
That's a strange question to ask...?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#29]
@Yavin: I own a registered copy of blitzMax... I don't understand your question. :|

GfK(Posted 2007) [#30]
How would he be posting in the Blitzmax forum if he didn't own it?

Probably not wise to start questioning the integrity of somebody who is giving quite a lot of his own time to Blitzmax for free.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#31]
@GFK, because the system allows you to- but still it's pretty obvious he owns it from his posts over the last 2 years....

Probably not wise to start questioning the integrity of somebody who is giving quite a lot of his own time to Blitzmax for free.

I concurr.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#32]
I own a BMX