ppIsaac out now

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/ppIsaac out now

René(Posted 2007) [#1]
Latest version 1.2 [26/02/2007]

And two new tutorials are up. Tutorial 04 is about joints and Tutorial 05 covers collision detection and material collision.

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#2]
It is so great, thumbs up!!! Nice module, nice examples, nice interface, nice trailer! (and nice website ^^)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
Examples 3,4 and 10 don't compile ( missing rat.fps module. )

Example 9 crashes when I right-click.

Example 8 doesn't shut down properly and all the wireframes seem to stretch back to a vertex in the top-left corner of the screen. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I can't see why if so.

In example 7, one of the two balls stays locked in the air. Again, perhaps it's supposed to, but if so, I'm not sure why.

Example 5 tells me to press space, but the source code clearly demonstrates that nothing happens if I do.

René(Posted 2007) [#4]
@Vertex: Thank you.

@Gabriel: Yes, sorry for that. The examples folder are not cleaned up, like the tutorial ones. I will upload a new example archive separated from the main download soon.

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#5]
Looks very nice. Maybe, if you're interessted I could send you my current Newton Module, which doesn't need the newton.dll on windows. This may be some userfriendly addition :) .

deps(Posted 2007) [#6]
Looks nice, but could you please release a mod that doesn't require maxGui? :)

Other than that, this looks great!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
@Gabriel: Yes, sorry for that. The examples folder are not cleaned up, like the tutorial ones. I will upload a new example archive separated from the main download soon.

The tutorials don't seem to be cleaned up either. Tutorial 3 is asking for a module named ppisaaclite, though it does run ok if you edit it to use ppisaac instead. Tutorial 2 just crashes with an unhandled memory exception on ppIsaac.Update().

The demo looked great and I was very keen to buy this, but first impressions last and I'd be pretty wary about buying it now.

North(Posted 2007) [#8]
non gui version please

René(Posted 2007) [#9]
Version 1.1 is up now and fixes the bugs Gabriel reported. Furthermore MaxGui is no longer needed. I also tested all the examples and tutorials again. They should work now.

@Gabriel
I'm very sorry that your impressions about ppIsaac lasts now. All I can do is explain what happened and fix the problems as fast as possible (which I did with v1.1). The examples folder had been (and is still) my "playground" to test ppIsaac during development. I thought I just put this folder into the archive too, just to give some hints on using ppIsaac. Now i see that it lead to disarrangement. Sorry for that. I will release more tutorials in the next days, that are based on the examples and are better documented.

Examples 3,4 and 10 don't compile ( missing rat.fps module. )

rat.fps was a framecounter mod that is not used anymore

Example 9 crashes when I right-click.

This was due to changing graphics settings (see below)

Example 8 doesn't shut down properly and all the wireframes seem to stretch back to a vertex in the top-left corner of the screen. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I can't see why if so.

The drawing bug is fixed. ppIsaac.Stop() has not been called at the end.

In example 7, one of the two balls stays locked in the air. Again, perhaps it's supposed to, but if so, I'm not sure why.

This is by design. I just wanted to show a rope that is connected to two static objects. Change the mass in the example of one of the balls and you have a moving ball too.

Example 5 tells me to press space, but the source code clearly demonstrates that nothing happens if I do.

I just forgot to remove the text.

The tutorials don't seem to be cleaned up either. Tutorial 3 is asking for a module named ppisaaclite...

ppIsaacLite was the old module. Now there is only ppIsaac. I did not update the import command.

Tutorial 2 just crashes with an unhandled memory exception on ppIsaac.Update().

This had to do with fullscreen mode. In v1.0 I tried to supress fullscreen mode, if ppIsaac is not registered (otherwise you would not see the reminder popup). Changing the graphics mode lead to an unhandled memory exception. In v1.1 I do not change any graphic modes anymore. (Although I think it should be possible to change from fullscreen to windowed mode, shouldn't it? I will take a deeper look on that.)

René(Posted 2007) [#10]
@klepto
sounds good. I really would like to give it a try. Please send to raye@....

DavidDC(Posted 2007) [#11]
>The demo looked great and I was very keen to buy this, but first impressions last and I'd be pretty wary about buying it now.

Well I for one wish René every success on this and am more than prepared to sit back and give the dust a chance to settle.

There is such a great need for a good 2d physics library. For me, it's the "missing link" in the evolution of Blitzmax 2d game development. I'm using one of René's modules extensively in my current app and if that's anything to go by, he does great work and is ridiculously helpful support-wise.

I'm really hoping René's going to deliver a winner here - he just got over-enthusiastic and released a little too early. I think we've all been there before - I know I have...

David De Candia

Torrente(Posted 2007) [#12]
I just downloaded the new version... and it seems you forgot to include the media.

Edit: I just copied the media file from the tutorials section to the examples folder, that solved the problem. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#13]
Well I for one wish René every success on this and am more than prepared to sit back and give the dust a chance to settle.

Don't get me wrong, I do wish him every success.

he just got over-enthusiastic and released a little too early.

I agree, I think that's exactly what happened.

René, if I came across as negative or insulting, I apologise, it wasn't meant that way. It was just something of a disappointment to go from the great video to the examples and tutorials. There aren't many libraries or products around which excite me and this looked like one ( particularly because I already use Newton in 3D, and so I know how nice it is. )

René(Posted 2007) [#14]
@David
Thank you for the encouraging words.

@Gabriel
No problem. All your comments helped to get things sorted out.

he just got over-enthusiastic and released a little too early.

I agree as well.

Nevertheless, I'm still convinced it's a useful mod and I will definetly continue work until everything runs fine.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#15]
whats the newton licence like ? is there anything in it preventing us from using it or forcing us to buy a licence from them as well as you ?

trying your demo now, do I need to go get the newton dll or have you packed it into your installer?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#16]
actually cant get it working... I downloaded the newton dll, but none of the examples seem to work, just get an error.

unhandled exception at ppbox.create()

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#17]

Newton Game Dynamics SDK License Version 1.52
Copyright 2003-2006 Newton Game Dynamics. All rights reserved.

LIMITED WARRANTY
This software is provided "as-is", without any express or implied warranty.
In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

This is a contract. By accepting the Newton Game Dynamics SDK (the SOFTWARE), you (either an individual or a single entity, the LICENSEE) accept the terms and conditions of this licensing agreement.

If the LICENSEE does not accept the terms and conditions, then LICENSEE must not accept the SOFTWARE.

If at a later time the LICENSEE decides not to continue licensing the SOFTWARE under these terms and conditions, then the LICENSEE must delete permanently all files constituting the SOFTWARE.

LICENSE AGREEMENT
Newton Game Dynamics Limited grants to the LICENSEE and the LICENSEE hereby accepts a perpetual nontransferable and nonexclusive license to use and distribute the SOFTWARE, for any purpose. In addition, the following conditions apply:

1) The LICENSEE may not use the SOFTWARE to reverse engineer the computer algorithm used by the SOFTWARE.

2) The origin of the SOFTWARE must not be misrepresented; If the LICENSEE uses the SOFTWARE to distribute a product, the LICENSEE must not claim that He or She wrote the original SOFTWARE.

3) The LICENSEE agrees to credit the use of the Newton Game Dynamics in any program information, including splash screens, "About" dialogs, program notes or instructions and shrink-wrapped packaging.

4) The LICENSEE may not redistribute the SOFTWARE, except as part of a compiled software program that is not itself a physics library.

5) The LICENSEE agrees to notify www.newtondynamics.com of any products, commercial, shareware or free that incorporate the Newton Game Dynamics technology.

Julio Jerez and Alain Suero
http://www.newtondynamics.com

This is the offical License, so the only restriction is that you have to provide a hint on www.newtondynamics.com in your application. What is just fair in my opinion.

@rene:
The new Module is sent.

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#18]
Hi René,

Just had a quick look at this and it seems to work very well and could be very useful for me.

I'm working on a top-down game at the moment, and wondered if there are any examples that show how to add collision for walls, etc. in this type of viewpoint?

Hopefully this will be covered in more tutorials. :)

Cheers

Muttley

René(Posted 2007) [#19]
v1.2 is up. Added some new smaller methods and bugfixes. Updated the docs. Also there are two new tutorials on www.pyroplay.de.

@Yavin
At the momment you need the newton.dll which is packed in the archive in the tutorial folder.
Which version of ppIsaac are you using? Current is v1.2. Have you tried to execute tutorial01. In tutorial01 only the framework is set up, no geometry is created. Do you get an error too?

@klepto2
Thanks for the new module. I will have a look on this.

@Muttley
Yes that is possible. I managed to set up a top view space game example. The next days I will write some workshops for standard game environments like top view game and jump'n'runs. Until then I send you the example per mail.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#20]
Rene will test it after ma dinner..

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#21]
Did I miss the "Buy Me"-link at your site? What's the licensing/prizing of ppIsaac?

Also I wonder if you sell the bmax-source or just the compiled mod. Problem is without source there's no AutoComplete-support with Blide. You know, once you code with Intellisense and Autocomplete you cannot work without it ;)

Though I think the AutoComplete-Thing could be solved even without sources.

René(Posted 2007) [#22]
Jake, you're right. The Buy-Me link is in progress right now. Pricing will be between 10 and 15 €. When the final pricing and Buy-Me button is ready, it will be found on www.pyroplay.de. I will give a note then...

Concerning Auto-Complete: I fully understand the problem. I can't live without intellisense too. If there is way to support intellisense without source code, I would be happy to support it. Maybe it's possible to extract all commands in a textfile, so Blide can read them for modules, that do not have source code. Or shouldn't it be possible to read the commands from the docs folder of the mod? Think I will ask the author of Blide.

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#23]
Just an Idea, why not simulating the type etc structure with empty methods an functions, like this:

Type TTest
	Field x:Int
	Field y:Int

Function Create:TTest(x:Int , y:Int)
	End Function

Method GetX:Int()
	End Method

'etc
	'etc
End Type

just replace your original source with the cleaned one and BLide should be able to build the intellisense tree from this.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#24]
@Klepto2: If somebody recompiles this structure... bam! all lost! We're developing a Blide Plus add on for next BLIde version that will populate full intellisense for not open source modules. I hope it will be out tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. It will be helpful also for the use of the (great) TV3D module of gabriel.

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#25]
@Ziggy: surely this isn't ideal but it would be an alternative. But your new add-on sounds much better ;)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#26]
@Klepto2: Oh yes, it's a solution. :D

René(Posted 2007) [#27]
I had exactly the same idea and built a little tool (it's called ModHighliter now) that creates such a dummy module with empty functions from the real module source code. I just called the dummy mod ppisaac_highliter.mod and as far as I have tested yet Blide takes it.

I uploaded the highliter module on the product page. If someone is interested in ModHighliter I will put on pyroplay.de too. It's open source.

Edit: should have read ziggy's post before :-) with the new Blide AddOn ModHighliter is rather useless. Btw @ziggy: Very good IDE!

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#28]
Well, the problem with this is having the hilighting in another mod folder than the compiled version. When using full namespaces you won't get intellisense, as you will be 'confusing' blide. As an example, writing:
Local MyVector:pyroplay.ppissac.Vector = New (pyroplay.ppisaac.Vector)

won't bring up any intellisense on the 'MyVector' object. And making this on the same folder is dangerous becouse an eventual compilation could erase all this (great) module. Take in consideration that a class called 'Vector' can be duplicated on other modules, so a full namespace path can be sometimes needed. I hope I'll have this BLIde update tomorrow. :D

By the way, the Gui module included has no documentation, but looks very well built. Is it part of ppisaac?

René(Posted 2007) [#29]
Ah! Fullnamespaces! Didn't know you could do that :-)
Ok, I understand the problem. Looking forward for your new BLIde update.

The gui module is a module for itself. Maybe I will I release it to public. But right now, as you said, it lacks on documentation.

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#30]
@René: That's great, I'm looking forward to more examples (downloading update now). One other thing, your website doesn't appear to scale very well to big resolutions. My laptop has a native resolution of 1920x1200, and your site appears as a thin column surrounded by acres of white space in my browser, and due to the fixed width I can't zoom the text size without breaking the layout.

@ziggy: I'm really liking the BLide now. I wasn't convinced when the first versions were released (I'm an ex-Protean user and the fact BLide did things a bit differently threw me a bit), but it seems to be really coming together now. Geed work. :)

popcade(Posted 2007) [#31]
Hi, Rene,

I'm more interested in PPSoftShadow, like TV3D wrapper's licensing scheme , you can optionally buy the source, it's a cool light module, if you sell the source or accept donations, I'll get my budget ready.

North(Posted 2007) [#32]
Hi,

i played with ppIsaac and i have a couple of questions:

The rope example - Ropes do not behave very well. They tend to not relax completely. Is this still in development?

Joints - joint stiffness set from 0 - 1 and beyond seems to have no effect. They always squash and stretch massively. Is this buggy and still being developed?

Freeform collision hulls - the automatism doesnt cope with concave geometry very well. Will this be enhanced?

Gravity/Forces - Why is it that you need to set forces and gravity in the areas of 1000000000 to get any effect? Can you tune it better?

Thanks in advance

North

René(Posted 2007) [#33]
Ropes:
I'm not satisfied with ropes too. I will rewirte the ropes code after I introduced new joint types. The new joint types are more flexible to optimise. I hope they will bring more stable ropes.

Joints:
The same as with ropes. In fact there is an (very small) effect. And if you use the GetStiffness Method (which uses the NewtonGetStiffness command) you get the same stiffness value. So stiffness value is set correctly, but the effect is rather minimalistic now. But as I said above, that will get better with different joint types.

Freeforms:
In general you can only use "convex" freeforms with Newton/ppIsaac. If you want to use correct concave collision geometries you will have to wait for compound objects which is on the roadmap too.
Furthermore the automatic detection command is rather simple right now and might be optimised. But first I will write a semi-automatic function to read vertex information from an image: I.e. in Photoshop create a layer with your object you want to create. In a second layer place a one pixel size dot at the position where you want to have a vertex in the coresponding freeform object. That would be at the characterisitic corners of your image. Then save this second layer to an image file. The new function scans the image for pixels and creates a vertex where it finds a pixel. In this way you have a little bit more work but more control on vertex creation.

Gravity/Forces:
That depends on the masses you use. But I also tend to introduce a global force factor that will be automatically multiplied with forces. Tuning is on the todo list.

Thanks for your feedback. I know there is still much work todo.

René

North(Posted 2007) [#34]
Thanks for the reply - i like this mod and will follow your progress closely :)