TCP Sockets

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/TCP Sockets

Sanctus(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is there a good tutorial on how to use them or a good module to make my life easyer?
I need to learn how to make a Server to wich more clients can connect.
I tryed to learn it myself looking on some examples but I can't manage to get them connected.

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#2]
Sorry for the old lyre, but:
http://vertex.dreamfall.at/bnet/bnetex166.zip

On the server side:
- Server = New TTCPStream
- Server.Init()
- Server.SetLocalPort(Port) <- the Port that have the clients to connect
- Server.SetTimeouts(Receive, Send, Accept) <- timeouts for receiving, sending and accepting(new clients)
- Server.Listen() <- now, the server is listen for new clients

- NewClient = Server.Accept() <- if there is a new client connected, NewClient is a new TTCPStream
- The IP and Port you can get via NewClient.GetLocalIP() and NewClinet.GetLocalPort()
- Save the NewClient in a list or array

- In a For Each Loop(in the list or array) you check the connection with Client.GetState() <> 1
- If the state <> 1, then the client has disconnected. So the client must remove from the list/array
- If the client have data sended, you can check it with Client.RecvAvail
- When receiving available, so you receive all messages from it with While Client.RecvMsg() ; Wend. All packages stored in an internal buffer of the stream
- Now you can readout the packages with While Not Client.EoF() and Client.ReadLine(), Client.ReadInt() or so on.

- If you want to send the client any data, you have to Client.WriteLine("Hello, world"), Client.WriteInt(123) or so on and than finaly While Client.SendMsg() ; Wend

On the client side:
- Client = New TTCPStream
- Client.Init()
- Client.SetLocalPort() <- you can set here a port, or let the OS search for a free port
- Client.SetRemotePort(1234) <- the remote port you have set on the server side(80 = HTTP for example)
- Client.SetRemoteIP(TNetwork.IntIP("127.0.0.1")) <- set the remote ip e.g. the server ip
- Client.SetTimeouts(Receive, Send) <- set the timeouts for receiving and sending(accept is ignored for clients)
- Client.Connect() <- connect to the server

- You can check the connection to the server with Client.GetState() <> 1 too
- Check for new packages from the server with Client.RecvAvail()
- When packages available then you receive it with While Client.RecvMsg() ; Wend
- And read the content with While Not Client.EoF() and Client.ReadLine() or so on

- If you want to send data to the server, you have to do it with Client.WriteLine("Hello, world") or so and send it with While Client.SendMsg()

I hope, this will help you.

cu olli

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#3]
Putting send/receive stuff in while loops, won't that make the game hang until it's completed?

Sanctus(Posted 2007) [#4]
I allready found out about Bnetex and I allready made a working server and client but thx anyway.
The documentation you posted shure makes it easyer :)
Thanx! :)

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#5]
kronholm: Becouse this, you have to set the timeouts. But with Stream.RecvAvail() you can check faster for new packages. Normaly, the networkstuff have to put in a parallel thread to the game/server, but this is actually not possible with BMax I've heard.

Synctus: hehe, ok, have fun :)

cu olli