distribution of mods

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/distribution of mods

PantsOn(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi

At the mo, I have a couple of mods I have written and like to give something back to the community.

I'm wondering what the consensus(sp?) is for someone distributing free mods. Would people like either

1) A zip file. Users would have to manually download the zip and extract it to the mods folder.
2) A CVS repsoitory, so files would be updated to the latest version (can script this)
3) Other.. please specify

As mods are alwayd being worked on, there might be updates and don't want people to miss out ;-)

Rich

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Post the sorce in the code archives. (That way they are always here, even if your web goes down)

PantsOn(Posted 2007) [#3]
There will be no source (at the mo. Haven't decided yet), just the compiled files

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#4]
zip is good..
(or even the bmax zap format)

Azathoth(Posted 2007) [#5]
How do people get their mods on syncmods?

impixi(Posted 2007) [#6]
Zip.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#7]
Zip

Fabian.(Posted 2007) [#8]
The problem with zip is that you can't be 100% sure that every user is able to extract the zip file.

If you use zap you have the warranty that every BlitzMax owner also owns an unzap-tool.
The zap file will be extract directly to the mods directory where it should go, so the user doesn't have to copy it manually.

If you want to have a better possibility to update the modules later on, you could create an own module server. The user then receives the module using the standard syncmods-tool.
To create a module server you just need a webspace which is able to execute php files you've written and a little knowledge how the module synchronization using http works.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#9]
Ther's a ZAP frontend on the latest BLIde version, it could be great if some writes a cross-platform front end for ZAP files that, once installed in the appropiate folder, it compiles it for the host platform. It shouldn't be very difficult to make, and it cuold be a great module's distrubution 'standard'