Online Game

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Online Game

Zenn Lee(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi, I've been programming for a while now. I've mostly working with C++, some Java, but mostly Blitz Max and Blitz Basic. After messing around with Blitz Basic for a while I started making simple LAN games, so I kind of know what I'm doing. I understand how online games work but am still trying to learn how to code them. I wrote a program with Max a little while back that allowed two players to run around this little area over a LAN. It was pretty cool but I was dropping messages like nuts. Then I changed from UDP to TCP using TNet and it seemed to take forever to get a simple package, just the X and y cords, to the other client. I was using a client sever configuration.

I know this is a lot to ask but can someone give me a simple example program to help me figure out what I'm doing, maybe a game where you have two or more squares with just an X and Y that can run around the screen over the internet or LAN.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Chris C(Posted 2007) [#2]
Marks gnet example is in

blitzmax-install-directory/samples/mak

fair rocks, for some reason he's turned the garbage collector off... but it works just fine once turned on, I developed a simple 3d server/client set of apps fairly quickly after looking at his code and gnet seems very robust even on a real flaky connection between the UK and Mexico (gaim was struggling at one point let alone a LAN game!!!) it worked really well.