Blide - heavy on the proc

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blide - heavy on the proc

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi, I cannot remember how it was with the older versions but it seems that since the 0.8.12/13 entering code is getting really heavy on the cpu. Whilst typing (even only comments, or simple add line delete same empty line) Blide starts using 25%+ of the cpu. So typing often isn't fluent and I miss some characters and so on, editing gets really painful. It's not that the source is sooooo huge till now, I don't even think it's dependent on the count of lines. Don't know, tried several editors, IDE's but it's only blide that shows this editing behavior. Any ideas?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's an issue with the Actipro parser used by BLIde, I'm working with the actipro guys to optimize this particular thing. There's no big progress in this area (yet) but it will be fixed as soon as possible. The CPU usage will decrease depending on the size of the file, it is better to work with several small files than work with large ones on current BLIde version. I hope I will have a solution for this soon, as it is now the main development focus.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi ziggy, thanks for the quick response. I have several files open at the same time, all of them not very big and the file I am working with only has 136 lines.

Edit: are there any options I could turn off to speeden things up?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#4]
136 lines? only? and you're having this problems? Could I have this source code? Are you using the 'full modules hilighting mode' on the preferences tab? if so, could you tell me if unusing it fixes anything?

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#5]
now this is funny, i turned 'use complete BlitzMax module highlightning' ON and it seems to be faster now!! Any explanation???

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#6]
mmm... not yet. But it is a good starting point. I made some optimizations to the 'full modules hilighting' becouse the amount of keywords. It is possible that after the release of BlitzMax 1.24, that creates new keywords when making a docmods, this optimization has to be done also on the regular keywords hilighting. I will take a look to see if I can make any progress in this area.
Thanks for your help. Where you running more than one instance of BLIde when that happened?
It would help me a lot to know wich modules do you have installed on your BlitzMax engine.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#7]
besides the normal ones I have MiniB3D, Irrlicht, FryGui, HighGui, so nothing special.
I am always only running one instance of Blide. Btw on a sidetopic, how is the LUA implementation going on, LUA is really really cool. Would be cool if I could use Blide for the development of LUA, too. It's hard to find some decent 5.1.1. editors for Lua, most of them are only 5.02 or are not so decent ;)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#8]
The development of the LUA add on is stopped by now, all focus is on the parsing issues. As soon as I get a decent parsing speed, I will continue the development of the LUA parser.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#9]
very cool, can't wait for that.
Funny, since I have 'use complete BlitzMax module highlighting' activated Blide is really constantly fast :) I'm coding for some time now since I activated the option and Blide ist at full speed ...

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#10]
can you pleas state your system specs?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#11]
*shrug* for me, Blide is slow on my Intel core duo laptop- I have no idea why- it takes forever to start up...

H&K(Posted 2007) [#12]
@cygnus.

Do you have "refresh on startup turned on"

Anyway, this slowdown is quite common on my system ziggy, even with just my "Template for Class" code, starting to delete or edit a "Long" line, and I get a freeze of between
2 and 5 seconds.

(By long, Im meaning one that needs a screen move to the right to see the end)

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#13]
nothing special, Pentium4 2,67 MHz, WinXpPro SVP2, NVidia GForce4 Ti4200. Starting time is long in comparison to the MaxIDE, but short in comparison to Xsi ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#14]
I have blide at default config, which works on my dual-core desktop, but on my laptop of similar specs, its slow as hell, often leaving me to wait 2 minutes before I can code.

I do not get slowdown when editing although one CPU core is being heavily chomped on with my current project.

Other than the slow startup on my laptop I have no other quirks with Blide!

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#15]
There is an issue with the component certificates under vista, that can make BLIde take some minutes to start up under vista. We've solved this issue for the next release (removing the certificate,as Microsoft is not fixing it??!!). It is a bug that happens on Microsoft certificates validation. It is a shame, after a lot of testing of various builds, we found that this issue is occuring when the assembly is code-signed and .NET is attempting to verify the code signature on Vista.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#16]
I am still using XP. Vista likes breaking my MBR :)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
There's also a little issue with the dotfuscator version we were using. It will also be fixed for next release.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#18]
I've noticed the same thing as Barbapapa. When I enabled "Complete Module Highlighting", it got faster. Haven't had it liked this long, but at the moment, with a large project full of large files, it's definitely faster. I don't get those little pauses when typing now, which used to trick me into thinking I hadn't hit the key when I had.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#19]
This will be fixed on next release. It has something to do with the actipro lexical parser, and I think I've found a way to arrange it, but I'm not sure as I'm not getting this problems on my machinne.