Ziggy - BLIde Lite?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Ziggy - BLIde Lite?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello.

Any plans to do a 'lite' version of BLIde?

I've temporarily gone back to the standard IDE because, basically, BLIde is bringing my PC to its knees. Its a laptop with 512mb RAM, 16mb graphics, WinXP.

Runs most stuff OK but it doesn't get along with BLIde at all, and with every version, BLIde gets slower. Typing a line of code and watching it update at 1 character per second is.... infuriating, shall we say? Taskmanager reports that BLIde is using close to 100mb of resources. This is too much.

Perhaps its the .net element that's killing it, I don't know... but I simply can't use it any more as it stands. :(

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Typing a line of code and watching it update at 1 character per second is.... infuriating

Hi, I use my laptop most of the time for entering code, and this problem happens every now and then, but then stops. That is its not a perminante situation.
Its only happend since the change from 7 to 8.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
I wish Eddy would make a BlitzMax version of VisualBlitz IDE.

I agree. A less resource hungry BLIDE would be nice.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#4]
Eddy isn't even making a Blitz3D version of Visual Blitz anymore - or acknowledging its existence. :o\

IDEal is the new "I wish it had BlitzMax support" target.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yah, IDEal is looking great!

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#6]
I've got the same problem, but I'm upgrading to fix it.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
This BLIde issue is becouse of the Actipro Syntax Editor control. The only way to solve this would be to change again the internal BLIde engine. I'm writing to the Actipro guys to see if they can fix this bottle neck, but no results till now. The amount of RAM is becouse BLIde is working with all module's data in order to provide intellisense. This can't be changed. The real point would be to improve the way the actipro control is working, or eventually change the engine again, but you know it is not an easy task and now, apart from this CPU usage when writing code, BLIde is more stable than ever before. I think the only possible solution would be to try a scintilla source editor control, but I can't find any stable .net implementation of it, and in addition it has less features than the Actipro control....

A lite version woudn't be the soluion, it is not a problem of RAM, it is a problem of CPU usage. 100 MBytes, to have all application, the modules types, functions, fields, methods, complex inheritance relations, namespaces, etc etc...

So... It is not a .net issue, it is an actipro issue. I hope they will improve its control performance.

[Edit]
I've been taking a look to scintilla.net but this control seems not to have bookmark support, split views, and a lot of 'basic' things in a pro editor. If anyone have a suggestion...

Filax(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hi Ziggy

I agree with Amon, a light version like VisualBlitz will be
great ! :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#9]
Whatever you do, please don't ditch the ActiPro syntax control. Since adding it, Blide is the only IDE I've ever used which has never once mangled vast chunks of my code.

MaxIDE has done it, BPlus IDE has done it, B3D IDE has done it, B2D IDE has done it, Visual Blitz did it during the demo, Protean did it ( when it wasn't hard-locking the OS instead ) and Blide did it too with the previous source control.

Yes, it can be a bit slow at times, and it does use more CPU time than I would ideally like, but the stability and knowledge that I'm not about to lose an hour's work are something I wouldn't want to sacrifice.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#10]
We're taking a look to the QWhale parser, wich is a very good parser and much more fast and resource free than Actipro, it has been used by a huge amount of comercial IDEs (same as Actipro) but I won't change it untill it pass A LOT of tests. the Qwhale main developer is helping me to create a hardcoded Blitzmax dediacted parser. This will be even more stable than the actipro one, and much more faster. It will also provide online errors in a incredible effective way, we will have back cpp and assembler support and so on... but this change will no happen inmediatly. it is now in its planning status, we've prepared a little demo project and it really works awesome. Bit we will start a new BLIde development thread, mantaining current actipro version untill everything is 100% checked and ready, wich can happen in some months. The look and feel of the new parser is very similar to the actipro one, but will work on older computers and will be fast like hell on new computers. it performs dual core optimizations when a dual core processor is available.

I will create a section on the BLIde website to inform on the progress on this issue. I would really like people who are having performance issues with current versions, to give the furthcoming betas a try, when they become available.

In addition the new beta versions, when they will be available, them will be installable without forcing you to uninstall current stable release.

That doesn't mean current release will not be mantained. We're preparing a very interesting update, that will integrate in-line help for methods and everything in the info tips.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#11]
uhh sweet.... I often find myself firing up MaxIde for some quickies, because it a) loads very fast b) remembers the opened files. So a Qwhale based MaxIde would be fantastico :)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#12]
Last BLIde version remember last opened files too. Select 'Reopen last application and files' in the preferences dialog. (version 0.8.13b)

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#13]
yes, great, didn't realize that. So only point a) is left ;) besides minor things I won't bother you with :) A searchable doc would be great in any later versions ( but this is not what I meant with minor :) )

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#14]
What do you mean a searchable doc?

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#15]
oh well, I have an old BMax chm helpfile and it's so easy and straightforward to simply search for a command. Unfortunately the BMax docs are only in html format, so searching is not possible. I use copernic to get around it somewhat but being able to search through the BMax docs inside of an IDE would be very helpful.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#16]
For what it's worth, I just updated to the latest BLIde - 0.8.13b - and it runs very nicely now. I'm running it in a 1200x1920 display off of a 1.6ghz, 512mb & integrated video laptop so I didn't expect it to be usable at all. Once I upgrade it should be flawless.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#17]
Ziggy,

Maybe there is a reason for this. But why does Build Not save the File, and then Build the file that is on the Disk, and not the changed one thats in the IDE, yet Build and Run, does save the file.

Changes Requested.
Build:> Saves the File and Builds that
Build & Build And Run:> If Possible, could they only Build if the file has Changed since the last build.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#18]
I will take a look to it. Buld should save the file if it has been changed.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#19]
Well, some additional news. Bill (of the actipro development team) have found one of the possible bottle necks on the parsing engine of the actipro parser control. Now we're thinking of a possible solution (not an easy task, as the bottle neck is at a ultra low level in the base class of the syntax control). I can't provide more information as this bottle neck is releated to the internal structure of this comercial product (possible license issues here).