BLIde 0.8.12available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.8.12available

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#1]
There's a new BLIde version available. For newcomers, BLIde is an alternative IDE for BlitzMax, for Windows.

Here's the main changelog:
* Enhanced the parser generator error checking functionality and also made it give detailed information when you have an alternation that has the same token condition in two or more alternation options.

* Enhanced the Grammar Designer so that it should jump the caret directly to an error location, if the location is known.

* Fixed a bug where the parser generator could incorrectly think a token was part of a non-terminal's first set.

* Fixed a bug where dragging a vertical splitter back to remove a view could sometimes throw an exception when the mouse button was released.

* Fixed a bug with the scrollbars where when they were in auto-hide mode, in certain scenarios they could stop painting temporarily while resizing the Form or typing content.

* Fixed a bug where outlining nodes sometimes weren't properly ended after editing around a language transition end.

* Fixed a bug in the parser generator where expression additional conditions didn't always bubble up properly.

* Fixed a bug where documents printed from BLIde had very small text on certain printers.

* Fixed a bug where using multiple line indicators on a document line might cause one of them to not be painted.

* Fixed a bug where characters entered using IME could sometimes be typed in duplicate.

* Fixed a bug where keyboard-based block selection would not work when word wrap was enabled.

* Fixed a bug where "Open last application and TABs" would not work as spected.

* Fixed a bug where logical structures created on additional media BMX files were being procesed by the AST engine as regular code files.

* Speed up loading time of projects, spetialy on recursive loading ones

* Speed up the Blide PlugIn protocol I/O system. BLIde Plug ins will be updated soon to be compatible with this new I/O protocol.

* ParameterHint info has been improved to work in some additional conditions.

* Some improvements to the intellisense system

* NEW: ZAP utility, that let's you create ZAP files of your modules, to distribute them properly. It also unzaps modules to the apropiate modserver and module folder.

Hope you'll find it useful.

[EDIT]
There's an update for this version 0.8.13 b. Install first 0.8.12 and then the update, following the instruction inside the txt file included in the update. If you have version 0.8.13, updating to 0.8.13b is highly recomended

Pete Rigz(Posted 2007) [#2]
I really enjoy using this IDE, thanks for all the work you put in

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Many thanks Pete!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#4]
I've found a problem. Not just in this version, but previous versions too.

I have about 7 .bmx files in my project, other than the main one.

One of those files contains nothing but DefData statements. From the local shortcuts list I have no means of opening this file in BLIde, since it does not contain any functions, globals, constants or types.

How about adding a right-click>>Open option?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#5]
@Gfk: That could have a easy solution. It would be easy to make BLIde open any file when clicking in the file name. Woudn't this fix what you say?

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#6]
Gfk - Thanks for bringing that up. That's been driving me nuts pretty much since I first started using BLIde.

SpaceAce

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
It would be easy to make BLIde open any file when clicking in the file name. Woudn't this fix what you say?
Do it do it do it!

I'll wait here. Please be quick! :D

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#8]
It will be avilable on the next BLIde update. :D

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi Ziggy,

Thanks very much for the update! I've switched to the editor permanently now, and it's the main reason I'm upgrading (editing 30k+ line projects in it is a bit slow sometimes on my 1.6ghz/512mb laptop). It seems to be getting better in that regard every release, though!

(edit: feature already exists!)

P.S. I emailed you at the address in your profile, is that current?

Uncle Ho(Posted 2007) [#10]
Hello Ziggy,

I am using BLIde now for some time and I think it is about time to say: "Thank you very much for this great IDE!"
It makes coding in BMax much more professional!

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#11]
@Michael Reitzenstein: Yes it's current.
Thanks to all for you possitive feedback

North(Posted 2007) [#12]
*Chiming in*
Thanks Manel! You're creating a great tool.

AdsAdamJ(Posted 2007) [#13]
Excellent stuff. :)

Derron(Posted 2007) [#14]
"There was an error loading the project. Object references not set to an instance of an object."

Could one explain this a bit further?

The error occours on multiple import-files my project uses (e.g. the dx9-wrapper)

bye
MB

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#15]
this is a little BLIde bug that will be fixed as soon as possible, I think this bug is releated to the import files structure you may be using, I hope to have a patch for his particular issue in a pair of days or so. If you experience this with your project, feel free to use version 0.8.10 + 0.8.11 patch untill I correct this. (None of my project were having this loading bug, but I've found the bug source, and a fix will be avilable very very soon).

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#16]
I get an error too. Something about "Maximum" and the value -1 being invalid. Again, multiple reports of the same error.

"There was an error loading the project. Value of -1 is not valid for "Maximum". "Maximum" must be greater than or equal to 0. Parameter name "Maximum".

And the error where the text in comments is displayed incorrectly after switching color schemes is still present. Shutting down and restarting still fixes it.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
yes, I've got this one too, in fact, it is the same bug as the one found by MichaelB
A fix is 99% done.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#18]
VERSION 0.8.13 is out
There's a little update with this project loading issue fixed (MichaelB and Gabriel), It also has the navigation directly to files from the local shortcuts tree (thanks to Gfk), and some improvements here and there. It is recomended to update, spetially for those working on large multi-program projects.
It also has a 'Reparse document' function in the Edit menu, to fix any token placement bug that could happen after changing the editor color scheme.

You need to have version 0.8.12 installed to apply this update

[EDIT] There was a bug in 0.8.13 that has been solved in a little patch (known as 0.8.13 b). (some experimental code was there by mistake)You can download the patch in the BLIde website. If you're upgrading from 0.8.12, you can install directly the new patch 0.8.13 b.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#19]
Hi Ziggy,

Version 0.8.13 was working brilliantly on my Vista machine, but I just patched the EXE with update 0.8.13b, and as soon as the project has loaded, it crashes and Windows says the program isn't responding.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#20]
Can you provide any addition information about the crash? Is there any message on BLIde or something? What messages are in the console when BLIde starts?

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#21]
Well, as soon as the Project Loading dialog box went,the cursor appears, but clicking anywhere doesn't do anything. Then after about a 3 seconds, the Window goes grey and the title bar says BLIde isn't resposding. I have to force the process to kill using task manager in order to clear it. There are no error message or anything.

Update: Deleting all preference files from the BLIde installation directory, seemed to fix the problem. My projects are loading fine now - are the old preference files compatible with the new BLIde version. Sorry for the false alarm, thanks for the IDE, Seb

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#22]
Well... there's no 'new' BLIde preferences file since 0.8.01 can it be a matter of permisions on Vista? Let me know if it happens again.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#23]
I am getting crashes in Blide when debugging.

The application in question will crash and throw up its own error messages, and I click the End tab at the bottom of the IDE-

Then Blide throws up a bunch of "Could not debug, the process is no longer running" kind of messages. This box comes up 6 or 7 times (or however deep the program was into the stack) and then freezes solid.

Also, when leaving screensaver mode, the blide text background goes grey for me. Not sure what's going on with that! I have to reapply the colour scheme to fix it.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#24]
@Cygnus: This debug issue will be fixed on next release. BLIde is trying to update the debug contents when the program has ended. The gray background issue... I can't reproduce it here, can you tell me if your runing vista or something?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#25]
@Cygnus: This debug issue will be fixed on next release.
Am I better off sticking with 0.8.12 for now, then?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#26]

I can't reproduce it here, can you tell me if your runing vista or something?

I'm running XP, though I do seem to have this problem with other apps too. I'll try chase it down my side if you can't reproduce it!

I did have that Vista Transformation Pack installed to try out, I've removed it but something might still be left!

@GfK:

This debug bug isn't something you'd normally see, it's down to how my program is working (or not, as is the case ;) ) When it crashes it either totally kills its own process or I hit the End button, either one causes the bug if it occurs before Blide updates the debug and stack info.

You are safe to use 0.8.12. I had the problem with that too! :P

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#27]
@Gfk: The debug routines are exactly the same since version 0.5.0 so, if 0.8.13b works ok for you, you can stick there. There was a little stupid bug on version 0.8.13 and that's why it has been updated to 0.8.13b, adter this update, everything should be as stable as 0.8.12 or 0.8.11
The problem that Cygnus is having is releated to the way his application ends. IT dones't let the BlitzMax debug engine 'read' its data and BLIde keeps specting this data (I think), so it is a very particular issue that will be fixed but shouldn't affect regular users.

I'm not very hapoy with the BLIde debuger. I like the fact that it gives a little bit more of information than the official one, but there are some things that I would like ot change, and I'm thinking on rewriting it from scratch.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#28]

I'm not very hapoy with the BLIde debuger. I like the fact that it gives a little bit more of information than the official one, but there are some things that I would like ot change, and I'm thinking on rewriting it from scratch.

It's *much* better than the Default one normally.and most of the time it works with this app too. I can wait :)

Anything to improve the debuger even further is a great thing Ziggy! Just keep up the good work. :)

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#29]
Ziggy,

I've just re-opened BLIde after a long coding session and it has crashed while opening the Project file with exactly the same effects as described above. I think it must be a change I made to my source file, as it only crashes when the Project file is open, if I open the main file (not as a project) it loads fine, and doesn't crash.

I've tried Uninstalling, then Reinstalling with various different patches but none of them seem to work which makes me believe it is a coincidence that my Project file broke when I shut down BlIDE to upgrade it.

I've also tried re-creating the Project file but it still crashes in the wizard, when it tries to open it.

Any ideas as to how I could debug? I can't really release the source code...

Cheers

Seb

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#30]
Maybe you could tell me the dependencies structure, if it is not too large?

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#31]
How do I find this out?

Cheers

Seb

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#32]
well, the dependencies, how the files are imported or included from you main bmx files, and how are them stored in your hard drive.
It would help me a lot to have all file names, includes and imports, and all file locations (folders) to see how BLIde is surfing through the files. Just a question, you mentioned 3 seconds. What happens if you wait a little more, I mean, 30 o 40 seconds, does BLIde respond with anything? I'll take a deeper look to it tomorrow, but it would be great to have the files / directories and includes / imports of all you project, to make some tests. What file is being loaded when this crash happens? Where's that file stored in relation to the file it imports it? all this information is important, if you can't send me the source code of your project.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#33]
I'll try to compile a manual dependancy file for you sometime tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me Ziggy.

Update: This behaviour is really strange, I restarted the computer did a complete reinstall, and it's working again now. I'll let you know if it breaks again, and I'll do some more troubleshooting (and a dependancy tree) next time it breaks (fingers crossed it won't break again though! :S).

siread(Posted 2007) [#34]
Crash occurs when pressing F3 (for search) when you haven't typed anything in the Find box.

This often happens after I have first started up blide, highlight some text and instinctively press F3. It would be nice if it defaulted to the highlighted text if there is nothing in the Find box.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#35]
I've already have this one, and this has been fixed for next version. thanks for reporting :D