using the SetRotation( rotation# )

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/using the SetRotation( rotation# )

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#1]
Can I use the SetRotation( rotation# ) to rotate an image 360 degrees? slowly? when i try i get all sorts of distorted imagery

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Graphics 800,600
Local img:tImage = LoadImage("myImage.png")
MidHandleImage img
Local Angle:float

While Not KeyDown(Key_Escape)
  Cls
  Angle:+1
  SetRotation Angle
  DrawImage img,100,100
  Flip
Wend

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#3]
That works! but its way to fast .. how would I slow it down? i am doing it on a fullscreen so its a bit blocky ..

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#4]
one more thing ... when its done rotating, if i stop the rotation at an angle, the next display is also shown incorrectly in that angle; how do I "reset" so folliowing screens are not "mis-angled?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
That works! but its way to fast .. how would I slow it down?

Use a floating point value and increase it by 0.1 ( for example ) or whatever value you find gives a good speed. A little later you will probably want to read one of the guides to delta timing on this forum which enables things to run at the same speed on all machines, but for now, just using a small angle increment should suffice.

Don't worry about SetRotation taking an integer, floats are automatically converted to integers, or you can do it manually if you ever need to like this :

IntAngle=Int(FloatAngle)

how do I "reset" so folliowing screens are not "mis-angled?

SetRotation 0

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#6]
Gabriel!
Thanks man! actually a speed of + 0.01 gave me the best result and is REALLY smoothe! Love it and SetRotation 0 did the trick! I love Max, but darn I wish I had some GOOD documentation :-(

Excellent support from the users though!!!

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#7]
hmmm ... ran into another problem ...

i dont want to rotate the entire screen, but only a seperate image that is "on top" of the main background... how do i do that? i thought setviewport was the way, but that also affects the main background??

how do i rotate an image on top of another image?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#8]
Psudo Code

setrotation 0
drawbacground
setrotation Angle
drawImage
Increase Angle
loop

Normaly I would store a seperate rotation for each image, and use setrotation either side of the draw to set, and the reset it

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#9]
you guys rock! that did it dude ;-)

oh, doesnt Max have Sprites, like on the amiga and stuff? is all animations done with "drawimage()" ???

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2007) [#10]
Yes, animation is done with "DrawImage()". Replace LoadImage() with "LoadAnimImage()". Oh, and do you use the F1 feature in MaxIDE over highlighted commands?

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#11]
Yes, I do use the F1 over the highlighted commands, but for the most case just the command and its syntax is explained; no "real" short but to the point example is shown, which would be nice

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#12]
You press F1 twice to take you to the docs for a command.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#13]
JazziB, I think he means pressing F1F1 takes you to the command reference but there are no examples.
It must be strange for newcomers that drawoval,drawrect etc have examples but nothing for loadimage/loadanimimage/drawimage.
@Newbie, have you read :
BlitzMax Beginner's Guide and Learning OOP in BlitzMax ? They fill a lot of gaps in the official documentation.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#14]
@Newbie

Also download Blide, (An Alternative IDE). Then you can see what functions/methods are part of (for example), an Image.

ie
global MyImage:TImage
then when you do
MyImage. all the things you can do with it (ish), pop up

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#15]
yes, I do find it strange that some commands have good and short examples, while other important commands hjave nothing but the Syntax described :-(

I never heard of Blide, I will have to check that out, and thanks for the turotial links, I have gone through some of the ones in the BlitzMax Turotial forum.