Redi.MaxMod and SID files.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Redi.MaxMod and SID files.

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi there,

I'm using the above module in conjunction with the SID.SidStream module to enable playback of both OGG and SID files within my application.

Ideally what i'd like it to do is play the SID until the end and the move onto the next file; but it seems i've hit a problem.

The current location and length values in MaxMod don't seem to work when we're reading in a SID file.

Is there any way around this issue?

I realise it could be because it's using the streaming functionality (hence it doesn't know how long the file is until it hits the end), but what seems to happen is that the SID loops indefinately.

Any clues anyone?

Cheers

Pete

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
No idea about SID files, but doesn't MaxMod's tMusic.Geti(MM_ISPLAYING) work?

REDi(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi WiredWorm

The SID module is gmans baby, but AFAIK there is no way in SIDPlay to get the actual length of the music, I think its todo with the way SID files work, could be wrong tho.

I'd say give gman a shout, see what he thinks.

REDi(Posted 2007) [#4]
I remember something about a song length database for sid files, cant seem to find it ATM tho.

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks for the comments GfK and REDi.

I've loaded some SID files into SidPlay2 which I believe uses an updated version of the libsidplay.dll file and I notice that this also seems to have a similar issue.

So, I think you are quite correct - I think the problem I am seeing is a limitation of the file format more than anything. For now I have put an option in whereby the user can force the next track to start playing.

GfK, MM_ISPLAYING doesn't seem to work.

Cheers

Pete

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#6]
I found this http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/lakes/5147/sidplay/sldb.html which includes a source code download for a utility which will attempt to determine the SID length.

Unfortunately it seems to be coded in C++ and i've got no clue how i'd make use of it in Blitz.

Unless of course some kind soul can give some pointers?

Cheers

Pete

gman(Posted 2007) [#7]
currently there is no way in libsidplay2 (which the mod is based on) to determine the length of SID tunes. there is a database and some code at the link posted by WiredWorm, but the code is based on the original libsidplay and not compatible with libsidplay2.

at this time, the only option that i know of is to write some custom code that uses the verbose file available at the above link to lookup the file and the lengths based on filename. i have thought about it how i would do this... i will see if i can add something to the mod to optionally allow use of a verbose file. i will give a better answer tonight when i can get at my code.

Xerra(Posted 2007) [#8]
I wrote a gui for playing .Sid files a couple of months back which I planned to rewrite creating the GUI with LogicGUI so the interface is better. I had the same kind of problem with knowing when a .Sid file has finished so kind of put the project on hold waiting to see if there was any way round the problem.

As has been confirmed already the problem isn't with Maxmod of gman's sidplay library but rather the botchy way the sid tunes are ripped out of C64 games and don't actually contain data structures with the lengths of each embedded tune to work with. Bearing in mind the sound routines on these tunes were written in 6510 assembler in the early eighty's and were designed for only playing music within the game itself then it's understandable to an extent.

What would be awesome would be someone to write a powerful conversion tool to convert a .Sid tune into a .S64 tune and reformat the data so the times for each piece of music are in it to which it could collect from an internet site SQL database or similar. Then it would just need gman and redi to modify the source to their modules slightly to understand the new format and put in the ability to pull out the playback times of each tune.

We can all hope as the C64 music days were fantastic.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to mess with the Sidplayer I wrote then it's in my project log. The interface isn't great but it works fine and I'll put the source code on my website as soon as I get round to it if it'll help someone else out with using the blitz mods.

WiredWorm(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks for the comments Xerra and Gman. For the moment i've done a couple of things. Firstly i've modified the config file so we can switch the ability to play SID tunes on and off without having to recompile the binary; i've also put in place the ability to hit the M key to automatically launch into the next song.

I may look at implementing the length database at some point but i've got a deadline to work to and at the moment the SID functionality isn't essential. So if I get time at the end then i'll look at it.

In the meantime someone else might come up with a solution :)

Diordna(Posted 2007) [#10]
Would you mind posting your OGG streaming code? I'd love to see how you do it, and I don't have much time these days to delve into this sort of thing.

MacSven(Posted 2007) [#11]
Getting this after download and install the sid.mod

Compile Error
Can't find interface for module 'redi.maxmod'

but the maxmod.module is installed too, but the folder is named as

mod/maxmod.mod?????

The MAXMOD is the Version 1.21

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#12]
MainframeOSX,

Redi posted this in his MaxMod topic:

REDi(Posted 2007) [#13]
Thanks Matt! :)

MacSven(Posted 2007) [#14]
OK. It compile the module. I am using the sample of the Sidplayer
this is now:

Building .LoadSIDSample
Compiling:.LoadSIDSample.bmx
Linking:.LoadSIDSample
/usr/bin/ld: archive: /Developer/BlitzMax/lib/libsidplay.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: archive: /Developer/BlitzMax/lib/libresid_builder.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /Developer/BlitzMax/mod/sid.mod/sidsample.mod/doc/.LoadSIDSample
Process complete

any idea, or have i compile the Sidlib2 for MACOS X. The Lib is in the Lib Folder!