Mingw problem on vista

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mingw problem on vista

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2007) [#1]
Installed vista today and ran into a problem while trying to compile my modules. I've setup my environment variables and path variables. Anyhow, the error that Blitz complains about
Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
Build Error: failed to compile C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

Any suggestions?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
Go into your mingw folder and give mingw admin privilidges.

Applications can, if they are not admin privilidge level, NOT write outside the user folder and I assume you did not think of that when installing BM so it is not within the user folder but some other folder :)
*alternatively you can create an admin account and run always on that and you won't have any kind of error like this again*

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thank you!
Edit: Oh, didn't read.. That's odd because my account is an administrator.
Edit#2: Woops, I fixed it.

Chris C(Posted 2007) [#4]
heres a nice piece of software for curing Vista problems

http://tinyurl.com/465s2

:o)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#5]
Can you tell me how you fixed it?

I have MinGW installed to the root of C:. e.g c:\MinGW.

My path reads C:\MinGW\bin and the other reads c:\MinGW. I have turned off UAC and am running as administrator. It still won't build modules.

I'll try installing MinGW to the BlitzMax folder.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2007) [#6]
Amon, I have exactly the same problem?

Space_guy(Posted 2007) [#7]
I also never solved this. i try to follow every step exactly reading every word written to understand what i do wrong. but still i cant seem to solve it

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#8]
Little question that has not been cleared so far: Are you on Vista 32 or Vista 64?
Hopefully Vista 32, 64Bit is for business & servers only (similar to XP 64 which was more trouble than it helped)

Will try to check my settings when I get back to my Vista box (most likely next week end)

Shaun Sullivan(Posted 2007) [#9]
I get the same error ever since installing Vista as well.

Space_guy(Posted 2007) [#10]
I have 32bit version. Tried in both ultimate(beta) and business with the same result on several computers(both amd and intel)
If it works easy for you there must be something I did wrong. Perhaps where to install ming and blitzmax.
Also the admin rights your talking about could use some more details. (even though running as the administrator account gives me the same result as my user)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#11]
I've tried installing MinGW in to the blitzMax folder, giving it full rights and no go. Won't build modules.

I'm running on 32bit Vista OEM.

UAC is off and I've modified the permissions to give Max and MinGW full control. I also start Max as Admin. Doesn't make a difference. It just doesn't want to build modules.

Any ideas would be welcome. If Triforce can tell us what he did then maybe we can get ours working also.

:)

Shaun Sullivan(Posted 2007) [#12]
Hi guys after poking around I found the fix. Vista does some more strict parameter checking and needs some help with finding stuff.

Here is what I did to fix:

1. Install MinGW to c:\MinGW
2. Set Mingw env variable=c:\MinGw
3. Add c:\MinGW\Bin to path

(from here on is the Vista-specific fixes)

4. Add C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.2.3 to your path
5. Create an environment variable named GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and set it to c:\MinGW

That should do it. Note, I suggest you install MinGW to c:\MinGW since from what I have seen the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX fix may not work unless it refers to a directory off the root.

Hope this helps!

Shaun

Amon(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hi guys after poking around I found the fix. Vista does some more strict parameter checking and needs some help with finding stuff.

Here is what I did to fix:

1. Install MinGW to c:\MinGW
2. Set Mingw env variable=c:\MinGw
3. Add c:\MinGW\Bin to path

(from here on is the Vista-specific fixes)

4. Add C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.2.3 to your path
5. Create an environment variable named GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and set it to c:\MinGW

That should do it. Note, I suggest you install MinGW to c:\MinGW since from what I have seen the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX fix may not work unless it refers to a directory off the root.

Hope this helps!

Brilliant! Works like a charm.

Thanks M8 :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#14]
This information should be added to one of the main stickied threads. Otherwise this is going to cause people problems over and over again.

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2007) [#15]
Yeah, this should. Oh and to those who I never answered, I just copied "cc1" and whatever other files that mingw complained about to the BIN folder. Heh two work arounds I guess.

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2008) [#16]
Nice one Shaun, that worked great here on Vista Home Premium (with some minor alterations to the MinGW paths in v3.4.5)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#17]
Nice one Shaun, that worked great here on Vista Home Premium (with some minor alterations to the MinGW paths in v3.4.5)
I'm using MinGW 5.1.4 which works fine - installed and set up as per this guide. Written when Blitzmax 1.26 was released but still works with MinGW 5.1.4 and Blitzmax 1.30.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#18]
Is anyone able to compile accross a network yet? last time i used mingw, gcc would not work. While it (gcc) works fine in XP/Ubuntu over lan, I have to copy the whole project to the C drive if i want to compile using vista, copying it back when done :(

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#19]
It would be nice if someone could sticky the MinGW installation notes for Windows Xp and Vista so new people who buy BlitzMax can find it also in the future without much trouble.

I remember myself strugling throug all those old posts looking for info on how to use a Mod in BlitzMax, Didn't even know MinGW was needed in the first place let alone install it correctly. :-p

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#20]
It would be nice if someone could sticky the MinGW installation notes for Windows Xp and Vista so new people who buy BlitzMax can find it also in the future without much trouble.

Aren't they already stickied here?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72892

GfK(Posted 2008) [#21]
Aren't they already stickied here?
They are, but they're wrong. You need to trawl the whole thread to get all the information you need.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#22]
Oh, I see. I can't say that I've ever needed most of those extra steps people have indicated, but I think Amon's addition, at least, is a must. Perhaps it's this disparity between some users needing to do things and others not which has stopped Mark from updating the first post. It really does need to be 100% accurate though, otherwise it misses the point.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#23]
The only time I've ever *needed* to rebuild modules is after making modifications to centre newly opened windows. BRL seem reluctant to add this as standard. Must admit its becoming a PITA do have to do it myself every update. But that's for another thread.