IDE debugger crashes

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/IDE debugger crashes

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#1]
Whenever I get a program crash, the IDE gives me about 2 seconds to click on the debug tree before it freezes up. If I try expanding the debug tree after the program is stopped, the IDE exits with no error.

The same thing occurs in Skidracer's IDE.

This makes debugging methods almost impossible. I have to add in a bunch of Notify() commands to tell me what line it crashes on.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#2]
This is really hurting development for me. In debug mode, it takes more than a minute for my code to compile and for the program to build the scene and start rendering. That means about 2 minutes of waiting every time I compile, with virtually no debugging/error feedback.

When I try adding a DebugStop() command, it just freezes the IDE.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2007) [#3]
Are you using MaxGUI?

I find this happened to me only when using MaxGUI. It's extremely irritating, and I couldn't find a solution. In the end I was using various debuglog statements in order to get some feedback.

Luckily, I wasn't waiting quite so long for the compile.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#4]
This happend to me normally always when I tried to debug larger projects.
Only solution so far: use Blide until the new Windows maxgui version is done which is hopefully not as instable when that many operations are performed on the data.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#5]
f I try expanding the debug tree after the program is stopped, the IDE exits with no error.

This sound suspiciously like something that was fixed back here. The current maxide source lists it as most recent mod.

If you are using that version it's more likely now something that needs fixing in brl.appstub which will likely impact on Blide users also.

I am as always extremely keen to get such issues reproduced and fixed however I would also recommend keeping an open mind, if you are trashing the stack, mistreating dynamic runtime libraries or have any sort of runaway call backs the debugging tools are possibly never going to be much use to you.