What are people using for sound?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/What are people using for sound?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
The inbuilt sound is ( much like previous versions of Blitz ) lacking in advanced features. Much like MaxGUI, this is probably a good thing as most people wouldn't use the advanced features and the development cost would therefore be poor value for BRL.

FMod is too expensive. I'm pretty sure that I won't qualify for a shareware license and people who have tried to negotiate with them tell me that they don't negotiate.

Bass is similar to FMod, although with perhap a little more possiblity of negotiation, though again I feel it's unlikely I'd get away without paying for a commercial license. Bass also seems to have some issues with Blitz, from the only threads I can find. Not sure if those were user error or have been resolved.

Audiere seems ok, though I think the API is much more convoluted and ugly than FMod and Bass. Also, not sure it's as stable and dependable as FMod and Bass.

OpenAL, same as Audiere really. Not particularly pretty and not sure it's either as dependable or stable as FMod and Bass.

I really liked the look of irrKlang, but the test of my wrapper seems to have a tendency to just not work half the time. Not sure if that's an irrKlang issue or just that I rushed the demo, but I can't see anything in the demo which could possibly cause issues. Not particularly encouraging anyway.

So what are people generally using? I'm looking for very stable, very compatible, ogg and wav support, no interest in tracker formats, and must have 3d sound, preferably in hardware and software. I'm not set on price, but if I can get a full, and extremely powerful 3d engine with integrated physics engine for $250, paying over ten times that for audio seems ridiculous. So I guess I'm saying that it's gonna have to be under $250.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#2]
At the moment, for us, it seems like BASS is the most viable solution. Your mileage and/or requirements may be somewhat different tho'. OpanAL and EAX are also being considered.

For us getting a sound library at this point is pretty low on the to-do list however.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#3]
OpenAL is good.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#4]
uFMOD is XM only, but FREE, I use it to play Music....

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
Bmax only. I wish it could a) stream oggs and b) work in win 98 properly.

I don't need 3D sound (at the moment) so I can see why you need another system. Guess if funds get really good I could buy FMOD.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm using FMod as I give my apps and games away for free.
No other sound lib I have tested so far came close to it.

I would pay for an official bmx extended sound module. But this probably will never happen.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
I had another look at OpenAL and decided the API is even worse than Audiere. I can't bear that, even if it's good. It'd be like DB Pro again. Nice functionality, shame about the syntax.

Bass appears to be out. I got a reply back, and although they're weren't 100%, they seemed to suggest that anything involving boxed copies means commercial license. I suspect a lot of developers are already flouting those rules, but I don't work that way. Shame, because Bass is lovely.

If Bass is out, FMod must surely be out as they're much more strict than Bass in the first place.

No one uses Audiere, then?

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#8]
After months of debate, I stayed with BlitzMax native sound. It definitely needs more features, but I prefer to use it and have BRL for support rather than use a 3rd party mod and have no support when bugs or problems arise.