Anyone solved the .png alpha fringing problem?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Anyone solved the .png alpha fringing problem?

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm getting this problem (I've seen a couple of threads about it - but no solutions that work for me) and it's driving me mad!

Any solutions? Can't seem to get defringe.exe, which some suggested might work, and I'm on OSX anyway...

To recap, I'm using cartoon style graphics with strong black lines exported as 24bit png's from Photoshop. They look fine in the package, and the lines all register as fully black, including the semi-transparent pixels that smooth the edges (I rasterised Illustator images). However, when overlayed on a dark background in Blitz (FILTEREDIMAGE + MIPMAPPEDIMAGE) they have the documented 'white halo' effect, completely ruining the look and feel of the game. I am quite far into development of what I feel is a polished and decent game, but I can't continue to a commercial standard if I can't resolve this issue. This issue disappears without FILTEREDIMAGE, but this is not an option.

Please help!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Tried Setblend ALPHABLEND?

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi GfK,
Yes, I'm using ALPHABLEND...

H&K(Posted 2007) [#4]
Turn FILTEREDIMAGE off. And make the sprites bigger, so that you are never scaling up
(Not reaaly a useful solution, sorry. But More useful than "Dont use Pngs" ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
search this forum for defringe.exe, or did you try that program already?

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hi, I searched for defringe.exe but the link is broken... Also I'm on Intel OSX, so ideally I would have an OSX program to do it, although it is feasible on my windows partition with a lot of back'n'forth of emails (I don't allow Windows to touch my OSX drive, haha!)

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#7]
Save from the GIMP (or get a newer version of Photoshop). You can get it here.

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks so much Flameduck, you've solved it - Gimp's the one! So it's a photoshop problem eh? I'm indebted to you and owe you a big beer, if you drink that is!

Warren(Posted 2007) [#9]
Photoshop CS has never exhibited this problem for me. What version are you using?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#10]
I'd recommend GimpShop, rather than Gimp.