Date function to time out a trial app ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Date function to time out a trial app ?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#1]
Has anyone used or heard of a date app which'll check the date of install and allow the trial app to run for {x} days ?

regards,

Knotz(Posted 2007) [#2]
We use Armadillo from http://siliconrealms.com for that.

*(Posted 2007) [#3]
im afraid this is down to you to create, I have never heard of an app that allows that. Also tampering with the date would make the app work again too.

grable(Posted 2007) [#4]
Doesnt the BlitzMax Demo do this? (i think it used a simple registry key to count the days even)

The usual way one does this is to get the date at each time you execute the app, and store it (and compare it to the first execution) in a file in a wierd place (or use the registry).

Only thing is, its not realy that hard to find the info and change it (or simply turn back the system date) :/

Im sure there are other methods too.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
If you want a 100% guaranteed solution, forget about it. Nothing's perfect.

If you want a good solution, Armadillo. I believe there are similar tools which are a bit cheaper. No idea if they're as effective, but if they are - more or less - they're worth using. Armadillo is really solid. Nothing's unbreakable but Armadillo is good enough to keep the best out for a while and a beginner out for ever.

If you want a really basic, simple self-written solution, I'm back to forget about it, because it's too easy to bypass and you'll waste too much time and effort trying. I've seen people come up with the most complex and convoluted methods of doing it and the problem they share is that they have no idea how you go about removing protections so all their convoluted procedures and tricks aren't actually making it any harder for anyone but themselves.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks all, @Gabriel I'll go and check out Armadillo...