Max3D rumors

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Max3D rumors

Will(Posted 2007) [#1]
Has anyone heard anything about Max3D?

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's been released, scroll down to the bottom of the news page.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#3]
Oh God.

Aren't we all rumoured out on this subject yet? :/

Filax(Posted 2007) [#4]
Lol :)

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#5]
Gosh Leadwerks, you nearly made me pee myself!

*(Posted 2007) [#6]
For the Max 3d effect go outside and spin around, stop then look around. You cant get any more 3d than that ;)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
For the Max 3d effect go outside
..............go where???

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#8]
Will - last thing Mark said was something to the effect of don't hold your breath for Max3D... if it ever happens. Couldn't find the thread to link to. I'm sure we'll see it eventually but probably no time soon.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#9]
I heard it was going to be Mac only for the first few months. And once it was stable on that MArk would think about doing it for Windows. (DX6 Only I also heard)

Will(Posted 2007) [#10]
The last thing I remember hearing was that it would have a version out this winter, that was inefficient and required a powerful gfx card, and that a more efficient version would follow at some later date.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#11]
There's a reason Mark has a worklog.

Will(Posted 2007) [#12]
I checked it, but there was a very conspicuous absence of mention for the last post.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yeah he posted since then (not in the worklog) and said something like not soon if ever. The Mac bit is news to me.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#14]
I've heard that due to import/export restrictions, Max3D will only be released in Oceania and Asia.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#15]
MiniB3D is the path, and DX Driver is under development.... sooner or later MiniB3D will become more useful.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#16]
Max3d is secretly being coded by a million monkeys at a million typewriters.

(I may have made this up)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#17]
MiniB3D looks great - the only thing I have against it is the reports that it's a lot slower than B3D.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#18]
@Flame,
I also heard that if it was to have an asian release, it had to be soly in Manderin. (However Im sure the Manual with have a translation)

IrrB3d.
(That is Gmans wrapper for his wrapper for Irrlicht, Already DX9)

skn3(Posted 2007) [#19]
Max3d is secretly being coded by a million monkeys at a million typewriters.

(I may have made this up)

Or you may have plagerised it from simpsons / family guy. lol

I heard that max3d will require a 4d graphics card and a tin of creamed mushrooms.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#20]
Or you may have plagerised it from simpsons / family guy. lol

or more likely, the infinite monkey theorem

GfK(Posted 2007) [#21]
or more likely, the infinite monkey theorem
What he said.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#22]
MiniB3D is shaping up to be quite useful for alot of stuff. It is not currently as fast as B3D but not much time has gone into optimizations yet.

Personally, part of me thinks that Mark would do himself (and BRL) a huge favor by lending a fulltime hand to MiniB3D to make it stable, Fast and feature rich. This would go a long way towards getting most of the "Where's Max3D?" folks off of his back for awhile.

Another Part of me thinks that Mark is doing just fine. While I want Max3D just as eagerly as the next guy, I respect MArk's decision to not release a subpar product. I would much rather wait and have a stable, fast and well designed Max3D.

I posted a thread on the MiniB3D forums about MiniB3D and Max3D file formats. It would be very nice to know how a 3D model should be built to work with Max3D. (maybe even a viewer) because it takes a long time to create art for any game.

I happen to be one of the infinite monkeys, so I would appreciate restraint in your comments.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#23]
Personally, part of me thinks that Mark would do himself (and BRL) a huge favor by lending a fulltime hand to MiniB3D to make it stable, Fast and feature rich. This would go a long way towards getting most of the "Where's Max3D?" folks off of his back for awhile.

I don't think anything would get the "Where's Max3D?" folks off his back. If he released Max3D today, all it would achieve is to morph the "Where's Max3D?" folks into the "So when's Max3D gonna be fixed?" folks instead. I'm not even sure many of them would actually buy it.

skn3(Posted 2007) [#24]
I stand corrected, you are indeed both the master of monkies!

*(Posted 2007) [#25]
The thing is Mark has to eat like the rest of us, if he put all his energy into MiniB3d then how would he pay the bills etc.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#26]
Well at least it's not a "Heard anything about BlitzMax 2?" thread.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#27]
I 100% agree with you Mr EdzUp.

I am not sure how BlitzMax sales have been for BRL. Hopefully good.

On the one hand, an argument could be made that by officially supporting MiniB3D Sales would increase for Max. There might be alot of people who are on the fence about Max because of it's lack of a 3D language-set.

On The other hand, too much time spent on miniB3D could take away from the dev time for Max3D and other essential future projects.

That is a Biz decision only mark can make since he owns the balance sheet.

The question of where MinB3D would live comes up.

Blitz3D is Windows Only DX7. Suitable for a wide range of Windows based Hardware.

MiniB3D is OpenGL and Will Run on Mac/Linux/Windows. IT should be suitable for a wide range of setups as well.

Max3D will (presumably) be OpenGL and DirectX. Since it will (also presumably) be Shader Driven we can assume That users will require fairly beefy hardware.

I don't think these 3 products would interfere with each other as far as sales go and might complement each other for some people.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#28]
Latest?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#29]
Ah yes - it wasn't worded quite as grimly as my memory lead me to believe.

Will(Posted 2007) [#30]
Thanks for the link!

Tom Darby(Posted 2007) [#31]
I've heard that due to import/export restrictions, Max3D will only be released in Oceania and Asia.

Wait, aren't we at war with Asia? Haven't we always been?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#32]
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
MAX3D IS to be made available sometime.
Now get back to work proles.

jkrankie(Posted 2007) [#33]
Hang on, is max3d the one that makes you hot toast, or am i thinking of something else?

Cheers
Charlie

H&K(Posted 2007) [#34]
No, its the one with three blades, for that even closer shave

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#35]
Max3D is just Max2D with an extra D. Don't be fooled!

*(Posted 2007) [#36]
bradford6: there is some sense to your logic LOL :)

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#37]
but not much logic to my scents.

I have been having alot of fun with MiniB3D.

I look forward to Max3D but as I have said here and elsewhere, I would much rather wait and have a stable product. I think 99% of us, if we thought about it, would say the same. Nothing is worse than software pushed out the door too soon.

maximo(Posted 2007) [#38]
sTOP!

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#39]
Yupp I would say the same, especially after what happened to Max2D and still happens to it, which highly benefits of the missing "broad range system testing" before the release of BM.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#40]
Nothing is worse than software pushed out the door too soon
'cept Vaporware

I dont really care if Mark finishes it quickly or not, if it does become a finished product, then it will almost certainly happen before Ive finished anything.
I think though that the problem is the image that it is always "6 Months" away. The promise of Max3d wasnt what convinced me to get BMax, it was the base Mod BRL.Blitz. All the others are nice little addons. Its good that they work, and it nice they are there. But they are not the language. And it was the Language that convinced me to get Bmax.

However, it would have been nice to have had the ease and capability of B3D right out of the Box. It want there, and it didnt seem to be a problem, (I joined the week Aruora came out), as 3rd party 3dmods seemed to be there. But everyone said, oh dont worry the official one will be out soon, maybe 6 months. And that seems to have been the "opinion" of everyone since.

Anyway, I went on the net to find out how to spell "VaporWare", and sort if like read up on it, nothing big, just a quick "Does it mean what I think it means". And lo and behold. Its actualy illeagal for Mark to go on about MAX3D. If BRL give a proper official line on a finish date, unless it is abbsolutly garenteed to arrive by then, it is a breach of antiturst, and they can be sued be 1)Anyone also selling a 3D Mod (ANT), 2)TGC
OK so Im not a lawer, and I dont think anyone has ever been sued for hyping software, but it does seem to be something that I wouldnt do, just in case it did put my company into trouble. And I wouldnt go to the expence of getting a leagal opinion. I would just do what Mark does. Which is shut up about it.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#41]
isn't it vapour?

sswift(Posted 2007) [#42]
I heard Max3D is really just a wrapper for a Blitz3D DLL.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#43]
isn't it vapour?
Its both, but the wiki entry (and hence I imagine American) is Vapor. As I said I checked, and I would have spelt it Vapour otherwise

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#44]
You're both wrong. It's spelt "vayper".

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#45]
sounds like an Americanism.