How to add a Windowicon + Center Window? (again)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How to add a Windowicon + Center Window? (again)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello!

With the recent changes of bmx 1.24 and dxgraphics.bmx my former methods of adding an icon and centering a window doesn't seem to work anymore.

Does someone know:
1. How to add a Windowicon?

2. How to make the gfx window center by default! without using maxgui? "Graphics 800,600,0"

Thanks, Grisu

P.S.: It would be REALLY nice if bmx could offer these things "out of the box".

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Agreed (well, number 2 at least).

Yan(Posted 2006) [#3]
dxgraphics.mod/d3d7graphics.bmx - 'TD3D7Graphics.Create()' (249)...

GLGraphics shouldn't have changed.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks a lot Yan! Working perfectly... :o)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
I haven't tried 1.24 yet so didn't know the (non module tweak) centering code no longer works. I'll have to check that out. I have a non-module tweak way of adding the icon btw.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
the non-module tweak centring code does still work:

Function ccCentreWindowHandle(hWnd%)
	'Centres the current graphics window on the desktop
	'Pass a handle in
	?Win32
	Local desk_hWnd% = GetDesktopWindow()
	Local desk:TRect = New TRect
	Local window:TRect= New TRect

GetWindowRect(desk_hWnd,desk) ' Get Desktop Dimensions
    'Get Window Dimensions because final window may have been resized (by BlitzMax) to fit the desktop resultion! (Grey Alien)
	GetWindowRect(hWnd,window)

'Centre Window
	SetWindowPos(hWnd, -2, (desk.r / 2) - ((window.r-window.l) / 2), (desk.b / 2) - ((window.b-window.t) / 2), 0, 0, 1)
	?
End Function

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#7]
Yes, but the problem is:

It looks ugly when the window opens somewhere on the desktop and a second later it is moved to the center of the screen.

Also, I don't want an extra function call for this.

As said before centering a window on the desktop should be "default".

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
It looks ugly
Yes I agree, I just don't want to make module alterations as that means anyone who gets my framework has to make them too, plus I have to "re-alter" them every time I syncmods. Totally agree it should be default or at least an option.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#9]
I agree too. BRL should make windows open in the centre of the display by default. I don't like messing with BRL's mods myself.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
I would like centred default too, but there is a chance that it will break other people's existing code who want to open up several versions of the app cascading. However, most likely app writers are using MaxGUI and not Graphics w,h,0 which frankly is just for windowed mode games, and thus should be centred.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#11]
Graphics 800,600,0,60,GRAPHICS_CASCADING

or
Graphics 800,600,0,60,GRAPHICS_CENTERED

We've already got a flags param, should be easy to make this optional?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#12]
It's only a matter of time ... fingers crossed ;-)

Fabian.(Posted 2007) [#13]
As said before centering a window on the desktop should be "default".
I just checked and it looks like the window created by Graphics automatically is created at the default position (in V1.24), so there's no need to change this.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#14]
Fabian: The default position according to Windows is to place in the top left in a cascading way. (i.e. each new window is a bit further right and down) GfK is saying that centering ought to be the default/standard BlitzMax behaviour. OR are you saying there is a Windows call that can be made to *change* the default position?

Yan(Posted 2007) [#15]
I would like centred default too, but there is a chance that it will break other people's existing code who want to open up several versions of the app cascading.
They don't cascade anyway, the windows are created at '32, 32' (...?).

This is the case for me, at least. Try it for yourself...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
Oh OK, my mistake. Maybe it was blitz plus that cascaded. Doesn't seem to be 32,32 either, but close...maybe it's based on the client top left, ah yes that's it. Well in that case centring as default would be best.

Fabian.(Posted 2007) [#17]
Sorry, I was wrong with what I said above, I just looked into the code, and yes it is 32, 32 based on the client's top-left:
			Local style=WS_VISIBLE|WS_CAPTION|WS_SYSMENU
			Local rect[]=[32,32,width+32,height+32]
			AdjustWindowRect rect,style,0
			hwnd=CreateWindowExA( 0,_wndClass,title,style,rect[0],rect[1],rect[2]-rect[0],rect[3]-rect[1],0,0,hinst,Null )
However I think the best alternative would be as Gfk said to decide whether windows default or centered using the flag parameter.

xMicky(Posted 2007) [#18]
And one wish more for the new year, an easy way to provide your application with its own icon should be implemented too. The Gamemaker from Professor Mark Overmars can do that easily offering an option in the menue of the IDE, and BRL claims for itself: "dedicated to bringing you the ultimate in game creation tools and utilities".

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#19]
Yes it would be nice as part of the IDE. I think that Protean used to do this but not for BlitzPlus only Blitz3D.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#20]
Bumped from the grave...

I also want to request a flag to force graphic windows to open centered on the desktop. Sure, we can do it on Win32 with a few system-specific functions, but there doesn't seem to be any code floating around to do it on MacOS or Linux.

Certainly BRL could implement this from the "inside" rather easily, right?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#21]
I'm surprised nobody at BRL has picked this up and fixed it by now. I could really use a solution for this. Grey Alien's code above complains that it doesn't know what a TRect is under 1.24.

As I said above - I don't like making my own changes to BRL's mods, because the changes can be so easily lost. Tried Yan's code, though, and while it does work, windows still open in the top left corner under GL.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
That's my fault:

Type TRect
	Field L%, T%, R%, B%
End Type

I don't like making my own changes to BRL's mods, because the changes can be so easily lost
Agreed. I want a standard set up.

Yan(Posted 2007) [#23]
GFK, just use an array instead. See the code I posted above.

From reading the source (not that I've ever used objective C/cocoa), it appears that an OSX Max2D window already opens centered?

I've got tweaked versions of glgraphics.win32.c and glgraphics.linux.c too (no icon for Linux version), but I don't see much point in posting them.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#24]
Yan - I don't understand where I'm supposed to make this change to get it to work under GL.

I don't like even changing BRL's mods, let alone trying to comprehend how they work.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#25]
This is sort of a duplicate post because I just mentioned this in another thread, but centering a window on creation is really a matter of professionalism. It looks very unpolished for a window to pop-up in the corner of the desktop, and it looks just a bad to see it snap to the center.

But more importantly, we need a cross-platform internal solution. Hacks for specific platforms just make for messy code and more problems.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#26]
Grey - your code still causes errors "can't convert Int Ptr to TRect" or something?

Yan(Posted 2007) [#27]
I meant for you to use the above code as an example of using GetWindowRect() with an array.

Anyway, I've tweaked GA's code to use arrays...
Function ccCentreWindowHandle(hWnd%)
	'Centres the current graphics window on the desktop
	'Pass a handle in
	?Win32
		Local desk[4]'[left, top, right, bottom]
		Local window[4]'ditto

GetWindowRect(GetDesktopWindow(), desk) ' Get Desktop Dimensions
	    'Get Window Dimensions because final window may have been resized (by BlitzMax) to fit the desktop resultion! (Grey Alien)
		GetWindowRect(hWnd, window)

'Centre Window
		SetWindowPos(hWnd, HWND_NOTOPMOST, (desk[2] - (window[2] - window[1])) / 2, (desk[3] - (window[3] - window[0])) / 2, 0, 0, SWP_NOSIZE)	
	?
End Function

This'll work with GetWindowRect() as declared in PUB.Win32, which expects an Int Ptr.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#28]
Try changing these lines :

GetWindowRect(desk_hWnd,desk) ' Get Desktop Dimensions
	GetWindowRect(hWnd,window)

to these :

GetWindowRect(desk_hWnd,Byte Ptr(desk)) ' Get Desktop Dimensions
	GetWindowRect(hWnd,Byte Ptr(window))

I've never quite understood why, but BMax sometimes implicitly casts between Byte Ptr's and Objects, and sometimes does not. Personally I'd rather it didn't do it at all, but since it does, it should really be consistent.

( I haven't run this, but I think that's probably what it wants. )

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#29]
GfK: It compiles on mine with Strict. You use superstrict or something?

Yan(Posted 2007) [#30]
It's because you've re-extern'd GetWindowRect() to use a Byte Ptr and GFK hasn't.

I find it easier to just use arrays.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#31]
very good Poirot.

?win32
Extern "win32"
   Function GetWindowRect%(hWnd%, lpRect: Byte Ptr)
?

Yan(Posted 2007) [#32]
Elementary, my dear GA...Oh wait...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#33]
still not centered by default

Taron(Posted 2008) [#34]
If there was one dream-come-true scenario I'd like to imagine, then it was that beginners could find wonderful infos like yours without having to go through the entire forum to find important components...even if it's just one. LOL

SO HERE'S ONE FOR THE ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS, WHO MIGHT STUMBLE INTO THIS THREAD:
Global window =GetActiveWindow () 'to get the window handle!
ccCentreWindowHandle(window ) '...well, calling the function, of course...

I've really just started with BlitzMax about 5 days ago and am very happy in general until I get to OS related issues, silly as placing a window. That's when it shows that I don't know the first thing about Blitz, like how to get the window handle, hahaha... now i do.

BUT, the above works, even with a little kink of not defaulting. I love the flag idea, too! That would be a beauty!

Sorry, if I bounce in here like that, but I'm sure the next noob that stumbles into here will be happy! :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#35]
You can't guarantee the window you create will be the active one (nor the one on top - yeah, I seen it!). Sometimes there is lag in the OS due to a slow computer or just one that is very busy.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#36]
Is there a way to get a Window Handle for the window created with Graphics()? Does the application know the handle of it's own window? It must do somehow. If we could get that, we wouldn't need GetActiveWindow() or the Mac equivalent. I'm gonna post this as a new topic...

Taron(Posted 2008) [#37]
Found this thread and tried the WINGW method of replacing the standart ICON for my app, but it somehow overwrites certain settings I've made for my own windowgadget. SetPanelcolor gets overwritten, offsets and the likes get screwed up, when I do the import...

?win32
import "icon.o"
?

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? And how's that happening in the first place?

Without the import everything's fine. (I'm not jumping the gun on this one!)

plash(Posted 2008) [#38]
How exactly are you compiling the .o file?

Here is how I would do it..

'res.rc' (Fairly certain the newline at the end is necessary in someway or another)
101 ICON icon.ico

'buildres.bat'
C:/MinGW/bin/windres -i res.rc -o res.o
pause

Open the batch file with command prompt (or enter the commands directly - make sure your in your program/import folder!) and it will generate the .o file.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#39]
yup, that's exactly what I did!?

And again, it actually replaces the icons properly everywhere, window, file, etc... , BUT it somehow overrides those gadget settings of the actual code!? Totally bizarre, hm?

I've done the other alternative, which works fine with the window and task list, but doesn't set the icon for the application. What a dumb hassle, haha... yikes.

I'm certain there must be nicer ways of letting users set those icons properly. BlitzMAX team? That would be a real courtesy! Everything's so beautiful already... just consider it, please.

kfprimm(Posted 2008) [#40]
I think you need to put the icon in the same directory as the compiled .exe and give it the same name. For example, test.exe and test.ico.

plash(Posted 2008) [#41]
The icon gets compiled into the .o file, so you don't need the icon present.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#42]
For use with MaxGUIEx...

1) Your object file *must* include a manifest.
2) It must be imported *before* MaxGUIEx (MaxGUI.Drivers).

Here's a simple windres front end - MakeObject.zip ~100KB

Taron(Posted 2008) [#43]
OMG FINALLY...that's beautiful!
Thanks, Ian!