Localisation - Keyboard layouts

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Localisation - Keyboard layouts

JazzieB(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all. I would just like to ask a little favour of everyone to help me compile key descriptions for the various keyboard layouts in different countries and over different platforms.

Basically, I have my controls configuration within my current project return proper names for the various keys, rather than just a code or rely on the default ones. This makes it far more user-friendly. However, I am well aware that certain keyboards in various countries can be laid out differently and so my routine could return the wrong names. I have therefore devised a simple program to create keymaps that is a text file containing the key code and description of each key.

The source code and default UK map are here.

All you need to do is unzip the code to a suitable place and load the source into your IDE of choice. Then...

1. Run the code
2. Change the country you are making a keymap for (also indicate if this is for Mac or PC in the name).
3. Cycle through all the keys on your keyboard (missing out media keys, Windows keys and those that would otherwise interrupt a running program). Give each a descriptive name if the current one does not match.
4. Once done, save the file and close.
5. Look in the keymaps folder for the file you have just created and paste the contents here.

The only maps I currently have are those for a standard PC and Mac for the UK.

Hope that lot made sense and thanks for your help in advance. I'll make the routines public once I've tidied them up for public consumption (still perfecting them now that they're being used in a project).