about grable's verlet code and circ-to-line colls

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/about grable's verlet code and circ-to-line colls

aristid(Posted 2006) [#1]
hello all.

I've been hugely impressed by grable's simple verlet code
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1769
probably like many others!
and would like to get something working out of it.
it seems to me in order to go on, we need circle-to-circle collisions (between particles), but, most importantly, circle-to-line collisions, for collisions between particles and "background" lines, like platforms, ground etc.
I suck at it, but gave it a try. I am not a programmer and not familiar with these things though.

first, I explored circle-line collisions and line-line collisions.
the idea (have no clue how sound it is) is that if a particle collides with a line, project it to outside the line (hopefully on the proper side!).
if it doesnt, check its path on this step (oldx,y to newx,y) and see if you get a collision between path line and static line. If those collide, project the particle at the proper spot. (got the proper side working too!)

contains functions found in the archives.
I modified some so they return a x,y array, or -1,-1 if no collision is happening.
use 1,2 to set x,y of line, 3,4 to set x,y of path
the circle at mousepoint is the size we're testing.

here's my testbed code:
(how do I put the code in those neat boxes so they dont take up all this space?)

----------------------------------------------------

then I modified grable's code.
created a new object, staticline and staticgroup, to contain the lines.
there are also other mdifications in here, you will see a rope hanging ready to be tinkered, plus you can make a constraint soft or hard by pressing 1-6 while making it (1-rubbery, 6-as solid as it gets).
you can also use arrow keys to move previously selected verlet.
I sort of got the collision working but have no idea what I'm doing wrong. particles go through the lines at high-ish speeds and they also seem to develop a force pushing them left!
any pointers or help greatly appreciated.
I believe some solid collision code on grable's example can result in a nice and simple verlet engine that can be quite useable!

best of all, if we can get grable to properly do it for us!! ;-)

cheers to all and merry christmas.

modified grable's verlet example code:

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#2]
To post code in code boxes, look at this link

http://www.blitzmax.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=2

Search for the "code goes here" part, you'll see it!