Continuing Woes...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Continuing Woes...

Noble(Posted 2006) [#1]
This code:

framework brl.d3d7max2d
graphics 640,480,0
notify "hello"
waitkey
notify "goodbye"
end

STILL does not work on my machine at work but does work on my machine at home.

nb

Jason W.(Posted 2006) [#2]
What are your work pc specs? I mostly want to know what gfx card is installed.

Are your drivers up to date?

What version of directx is installed on your pc?

Jason

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#3]
Try putting a FlushKeys() before the Waitkey. It may be possible that your work PC is creating phantom key presses (a key logger possibly?)

Noble(Posted 2006) [#4]
@Jason W. - This is an on-going problem from a previous post that somehow got moved to an archive folder and does not show up here anymore. But to answer your question, yes everything is up-to-date.

@TomToad - Sorry, that did not work either.

This is some test code that was given to me by Mark to try and does not work. He has been working with me along with skidracer and a few others to fix this problem. As I stated earlier, the original post got moved to an archive forum and is no longer present here. Bummer!

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hardly archived and I thought Mark had given an answer :
Moving this to programming as I suspect it's unfixable but if you guys want to keep hacking away, go for it...
which is why it was moved from Bug Reports.

Noble(Posted 2006) [#6]
@tonyg - After skid's post telling me there was a pending update I posted back and said I would be waiting. After that post it appeard to have disappeared on me so I did not know that Mark had moved it to a different board.

Perhaps something a "moved to..." message on the original board would be a nice feature to add to the forum.

Noble(Posted 2006) [#7]
Futhermore, I thought that this was something JUST on my machine at the office. Since this error as cropped up I used the test code that I was given on several different machines with different configurations. Most worked, some did not.

If it helps any, it appears to not be working on Intel-based pc's. On AMD-based machines everything seems to be working fine.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#8]
So, as JasonW mentioned, what are the specs of these machines?

bregors(Posted 2006) [#9]

Noble(Posted 2006) [#10]
@BrEgOrS - That was just a typo on the forum post. It is correct in my code. Sorry, I could not figure out how to edit a post.

@tonyg

Work:
SyncMaster 730B(Analog) on Sis 650_651_M650_740
ScreenRes = 1024x768,32bit

Home:
Plug and Play Monitor on ATI Radeon Xpress 200
1024x768, 32bit
Latest Direct X
3.2ghz, 512mb, AMD

bregors(Posted 2006) [#11]

Noble(Posted 2006) [#12]
@BrEgOrS - Not a problem. Thanks for your insight.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#13]
Since this error as cropped up I used the test code that I was given on several different machines with different configurations. Most worked, some did not.

What was the spec of these machines?
p.s. Use 'Edit' which should be just after (Posted xxxx ago) to edit a post. Use this for forum codes such as codebox.

Noble(Posted 2006) [#14]
@tonyg - Cool.

I am not sure what the other machines specs were exactly because my partner did the tests with this brother which lives in another state. I do know that the machines with AMD's worked 100% of the time and the machines, like this one here at work, that were Intel crapped out 100% of the time.

I also know that I can download and run the demo version of BlitzPlus and Blitz3d on this work machine without any problems.

So my initial thoughts are that signs are pointing to something in BlitzMax that does not jive with something in the hardware. I know other folks may or may not be having the same trouble that I am having. That is what is making this so darn difficult to track down.

nb

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#15]
Can you contact your partner and 'this brother' and ask what spec of machine they tried?
I know other folks may or may not be having the same trouble that I am having.

Sorry, does that mean you *do* know of other people having the same problem or do *not* know?
STILL does not work on my machine at work

What happens? What happens with the OpenGL driver?

Noble(Posted 2006) [#16]
The brother's machine:
Intel P4 - 1.4gig 512mb pc133 ram. XP Pro, DX9 (older Matrox PCI video card - 4mb).

I don't personally know of anyone else that is having the trouble. That is why I think this is going to be a hard one to track down.

Exactly WHAT are the minimum system requirements to run games created with BlitzMax?

marksibly(Posted 2006) [#17]

This code:

STILL does not work on my machine at work but does work on my machine at home.

I'm not surprised - if 1.22 didn't work there's no reason 1.24 should.

Unless you've got something to add to the issue for us to follow up, there's little we can do. For reasons probably only clear to an engineer somewhere deep in the bowels of Microsoft, your work machine can't run BlitzMax.

I'm moving this to programming for now - if you guys want to keep hunting for a possible cause/issue, please do!

If you can come up with something concrete ('BlitzMax doesn't work on Intel' does not count!) please post another bug report.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#18]
Are you sure your works PC supports 640x480? I mean, you've tried higher resolutions, right?

Noble(Posted 2006) [#19]
Yes, I have tried other resolutions that work fine with other games, programs, etc.

Noble(Posted 2006) [#20]
@Mark - I think that you might be missing my point. I am aware that BlitzMax is not going to work on my office machine and that is fine.

BUT....

The programs that I compile with BlitzMax at home, where it does work, will not RUN on my office machine either. Nor will they run on the Intel based machines that we have tried them on.

What are the minimum system requirements for a program compiled with BlitzMax to run? Perhaps the answer lies in there?

nb

GfK(Posted 2006) [#21]
It should run on anything with a DX7 or GL compatible 3D card. Other than that it simply boils down to whether stuff will run fast enough to be playable.

My game runs on a 6yr old PC with 128mb RAM, 4gb HD, 4mb graphics with WindowsXP. Not sure on the CPU but given that everything else is crap, the CPU probly is as well.

It doesn't run very well, but it DOES run!

Noble(Posted 2006) [#22]
Well, that is encouraging to hear. What kind of graphics card do you have?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#23]
I'm not sure - its g/f's PC but I THINK its a 4mb ATI Rage. Its so slow I don't often use it, but I'll fire it up tomorrow and get full specs. But I know they're below spec even for WinXP, let alone any other software.

North(Posted 2006) [#24]
I too have an office machine with an onboard Intel 82815 Controller. This machine will not run most BMax applications with the only exception of few very simple cases using the OGL driver.
However i don't think that this is a problem specific to BMax - it is widely known that the drivers for these onboard intel chips are sub-par(crap) and most 3d applications run in software mode or not at all.

So i don't think BMax needs to be fixed but the borked Intel Drivers. Or better - get a 10$ gfx card with proven drivers for a start.

Noble(Posted 2006) [#25]
@North - Now that is what I wanted to hear!