MASM

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MASM

Pantheon(Posted 2006) [#1]
Has anyone got BlitzMax to work with Masm instead of Fasm or perhaps does anyone know if it would be possible?

Thanks

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
Doh, really didn't though that!

Maybe you can try, I'm encouraging you to test and report result here.

JazzieB(Posted 2006) [#3]
I suspect BlitzMax specifically looks for FASM, so I doubt it - unless you want to edit the MaxIDE source code to force it to look for something else. Why would you want to use a different assembler - surely the same source code will produce the same EXE?

daaan(Posted 2006) [#4]
Couldn't you just run the .o file through Masm? I thought that the .o file is just a .asm file.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#5]
Couldn't you just run the .o file through Masm? I thought that the .o file is just a .asm file.

I believe the .o files are assembled already. They're object code. I think the .s files are assembly language though. Absolutely no clue how much work it would be to get them to assemble in anything other than FASM though.

grable(Posted 2006) [#6]
Cant you just assemble it on its own and use the object file instead?

JaviCervera(Posted 2006) [#7]
Well... are you trying to compile the .s files with MASM so you can then link with Microsoft Visual Studio .libs instead of GCC ones? Haven't tried it, but I think that if you want to do that you should do the process manually. Compile the .s files using MASM yourself, and then link using Microsoft linker tools.

The only way yot automate the process would be to create a set of executables with the same name as the GCC ones that BlitzMax uses that call the real Microsoft tools and produce the appropiate output. You will also have to recompile all modules so Microsoft-compliant libraries are generated.

If you have success with it, please let us know :)

Pantheon(Posted 2006) [#8]
@Jedive
Yeah I thought I mite have to do that. I think I'll give it a go after me and altitudems get this physics library up and going.

I was just enquiring because I have loads of books on MASM and im not sure of the syntactical differenced between it and FASM.

Also as a side not, in another thread (Function Ptr) I asked if you could invoke a byte array as a function and we found that it was possible. I'v also goint to have a go at compiling MASM source as a DOS COM object and then loading this in the array and excecuting it. When I can figure out how BlitzMax handles function calls fully then I want to use this to load and excecute small scripts, compiled to MASM sorce. Could be kinda cool :)

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#9]
The only way yot automate the process would be to create a set of executables with the same name as the GCC ones that BlitzMax uses that call the real Microsoft tools and produce the appropiate output.
No you don't. Just change BMK to use whatever tools you use in your build environment. The source is in /BlitzMax/src/bmk - knock yourself out.

Pantheon(Posted 2006) [#10]
I didnt realise the source was included. Thanks, will check this out :)