OpenAL Article

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OpenAL Article

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#1]
Below is an interesting article on OpenAL and Vista

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

It made me wonder about the status of OpenAL mods for BlitzMax, but more importantly is OpenAL something Mark and crew could integrate officially into BlitzMax. It's free, it's available on all platforms, and it appears to be the future of Windows audio.

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#2]
OpenAL support would be nice.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#3]
As already stated above, Microsoft® will be removing DirectSound 3D Hardware support from Direct X with the launch of Windows Vista. DirectSound and DirectSound3D will still function; however, they will no longer use hardware acceleration.

The native OpenAL devices on Sound Blaster Audigy and Sound Blaster X-Fi™ soundcards do not use DirectSound or DirectSound 3D and so they will be completely unaffected. For games that use these devices, nothing will change. The game will continue to enjoy hardware based 3D audio and effects.

I think there's a lesson in all of this, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Leiden(Posted 2006) [#4]
I think the lesson is:

As already stated above, Microsoft® will be removing Direct3D Hardware support from Direct X with the launch of Windows Vista. DirectDraw and Direct3D will still function; however, they will no longer use hardware acceleration.

The native OpenGL devices on nVidia 8 series and ATi X series™ soundcards do not use DirectDraw or Direct3D and so they will be completely unaffected. For games that use these devices, nothing will change. The game will continue to enjoy hardware based 3D visuals and effects.

Knotz(Posted 2006) [#5]
Let me guess:
"Buy a high end soundcard from Creative and you wont be shafted"

Leiden(Posted 2006) [#6]
"Creative - The way its meant to be heard."