GUI ==> Image Font Conversion

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/GUI ==> Image Font Conversion

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

Is it possible to convert a GUI font (returned from the RequestFont() command) into a font type compatible with the Max2D Drawing commands. I've tried using guiFont.path$ to try and get the URL of the font so I can manually load it using LoadImageFont() however, it doesn't have a value even if you select a font.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Seb

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#2]
Could you use font.name?

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks for the suggestion but font.name returns the actual name of the font (e.g. Times New Roman) whereas LoadImageFont() requires the file path of the font, i.e. C:\Windows\Fonts\times.ttf [I think] . I suppose I could just use a pre-determined list but seeing as the program I'm making has to be cross-platform, it would require a lot of lines to add the standard font set and more for each OS.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#4]
font.path never seems to get populated and there doesn't seem to be a bbfontpath function.
There is this but it probably doesn't help even with Skid's bump.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#5]
Seb, you might want to look at my fontconfig mod. It lets you use LoadImageFont without a full path. (Essentially it adds a new font-loader to Max, if you need to use it that way)

Hmmm... do I need a license for hawking ?

;-)

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks Brucey - I'll give it a go...

It's a shame stuff like this isn't implemented in the official mods.

tonyg: I've bumped the post anyway but I doubt it will be noticed seeing as it's in the Bug Bin.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#7]
I very much doubt anybody will see it there either. You might want a new post with a link to it.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeah, I'll probably do that. Regarding Brucey's mod, I've played around with it, and have made a function (which I've tested briefly) that should return an image font when a GUI font is passed to it.

<code removed> Stupidly, I didn't read the docs and you can load the font simply using its name once the module has been imported.

Thanks for the mod Brucey!

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#9]
Interesting. I thought you could just call LoadImageFont and pass in the usual params for bold/italics. You certainly *don't* need the full path in LoadImageFont when the Fontconfig mod is present - it should resolve the path for you.
I might do some more testing.
Oh, and I believe it's also available via syncmods - bah.fontconfig.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#10]
Indeed... there's even a "drawtext" example included with the dist. (link via the documentation or look in the "examples" folder)
And here's a snippet:
Local font1:TImageFont = LoadImageFont( "verdana", 18, BOLDFONT | SMOOTHFONT)

Note the lack of path to the verdana font - fontconfig does all that for you - which is the whole point ;-)

The above mentioned example also shows how you can add "user" font folders which fontconfig can then include when it searches for the font you want.

HTH ;-)

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#11]
Whoops - looks like I completely missed the point of it. Code has been removed. Thanks!

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#12]
No worries ;-)

I had a function very similar to yours before I came up with the idea of adding a new image font loader..