XP Themes with BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/XP Themes with BlitzMax

plash(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've noticed that (for some odd reason) you can't add resources to a compiled BlitzMax exe (yes I have tried a debug and a non-debug build). I'm using PE Resource Explorer, and if I try to add an XP theme manifest it doesn't create it, and cant save anything to the exe.

Any reason why it wouldn't allow this?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
try adding the lines
?win32
Import "maxeditresource.o"
?

to your program and grab the resource file from here.

Your program should now have an embedded resource you can tweak.

To avoid having to repeat the process each time, grab the .res file and the batch file which uses the windres utility which I think is in mingw/bin if you have mingw installed to create the linkable resource (.res->.o).

plash(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thank you.

CASO(Posted 2007) [#4]
I searched for "mainfest" and found this. I was wondering if you import the maxeditresource.o file will it interfere with another imported *.o file such as the one I am using to add an icon to the EXE.

I hope 6 months later isn't too late to get a response.

grable(Posted 2007) [#5]
It might.. at least it did with the Maxide-CE.
But putting both the manifest and the icon in its own resource should fix it.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#6]
You can also use BLIde Plus :D

CASO(Posted 2007) [#7]
I don't have a .NET Framework and would like to avoid downloading it because I have a dial-up connection and I code on multiple computers (that each may lack a .NET Framework). What are my options?

Is there a free program to put together a manifest and an icon.

In the end, I am tired of the default GUI look and I want to do something about it.

grable(Posted 2007) [#8]
As it says in skids post, windres comes with mingw and it does the trick.

You can also check out MaxIDE-CE Resouces for some source files, notably compile.cmd, resources.rc and maxide.exe.manifest.

CASO(Posted 2007) [#9]
I gave it a shot and it didn't work.

I have "main_icon.ico", "maxide.exe.manifest", and "resources.o" in a folder named "resources" in the same root as my program.

At the top of my code I have:
?Win32
Import "resources\resources.o"
?

It adds the icon to my program but it doesn't change the look. It should have that XP look, shouldn't it?

CASO(Posted 2007) [#10]
I figured it out. The computer I am using right now was set to Windows Classic Theme and preventing the apperence change from occuring. I changed the setting and it works fine.

Thanks Everyone