AlignToVector - What does it do?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/AlignToVector - What does it do?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm adding some 'next gen'ish stuff to minib3d(for personal use, a game i'm doing not a commercial engine) and I want to port Halo's doomb3d code to minib3d, cos i've had bad luck with actual tangent mapping.
So does anyone know what AlignToVector does internally? Anyone wrote a reproduction in max for minib3d?

Any dlls/C++/C# etc source code that does the same I could use as a basis for my own?

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
Ant, are you making an Engine out of BMX?

Please adding a DX 8.1 driver.....

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well it depends, officially i ported it(Mostly Simon's b3d with some new additions and rewrote classes) all over to C++, but the C++ stuff doesn't have the next geny glsl and postfx systems i added to Soo.. long story short, I wanted to carry on the bmax one but thats only going to happen if I can emulate AlignToVector. No dot3 bump-mapping no sale, I'll just carry on with codemonkey.

So someone help mmmkay

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#4]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=AlignToVector&ref=3d_a-z

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#5]
I know that much already pert, it's the inner workings of the function i need to know.

OR another way of putting it..if I wanted to do the same thing in C++(Most popular language so most likely to have tuts on it) what would my search terms be?

I tried "Align a matrix to vector" but got nothing even remotely related.

Morbius(Posted 2006) [#6]
Isn't the sprite alignment for billboarding doing something like an align to vector albeit always using the same axis?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#7]
No idea tbh, i really suck at 3d maths beyond simple stuff like point distance, dot3 etc.