Armadillo (software passport) and BMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Armadillo (software passport) and BMax

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just bought it today. So I wondered what Protection Options you lot prefer. For example, the top protection option is CopMemII + Debug-blocker and I wondered if any of you have used this and if it's compatible with BMax. I'll test it with my game but just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this. Also what backup key do you prefer, Variable sounds best...

Does anyone use any other settings that they recommend?

Cheerz.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
Bugger, just found out that you need the Pro version (not basic) to setup a 60 min trial. Or can you do that in code using the API on the Basic version, because it looks like it just nukes it after the time expires anyway, which isn't good for save game etc.? [edit] ah, you can set it to nuke or just let the user carry on playing (which is politer and doesn't risk save file corruption).

siread(Posted 2006) [#3]
Haven't used it with max, but i had some problems with Blitz+. Basically the game was crashing at random moments when wrapped, but fine unwrapped. I turned off all the extra protections options and went for the very basic settings and it seems to be fine. Still haven't localised the exact problem, so if anyone has any ideas...

And yeah, if i remember rightly you need pro for the 60 minute option.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
thanks, worth knowing as I also want to wrap some BlitzPlus titles. So you didn't even go for "Standard" protection, which is the default, you chose "Minimum" yes? Did you also turn off SoftIce protection and dll interception? Thanks.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#5]
Grey: I'm looking forward to seeing this work with BMax.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
Tachyon: How come? Do you know of any problems then? I tested it earlier and it seemed fine!

Knotz(Posted 2006) [#7]
We use it for the LoveChess'es (both B3D titles)

Standard protection
Enable Import Table Elimination
Enable Strategic Code Splicing
Enable Memory Patching Protections

Enhanced SoftIce Detection

Variable Backup Key
Compress Resources on

Intercept none for the Dll's

Disable INFO command
Allow only One copy
Disable monitoring thread

and we use a custom build.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
great info thanks Knotz.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
Knotz: Just checked out the settings and it seems that Memory Patching Protections only works with CopyMem II or the Monitoring Thread (which you've disabled), so it may not do anything in your setup. Also if the monitoring thread is disabled, it seems that you can't show a after Reminder and you can't use the Only One Copy option (if I read the info correctly). Any views on that? Does you after Reminder still work OK? Thanks.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#10]
Does you after Reminder still work OK?

No, unfortunately.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#11]
Grey: Sorry, I just meant I'm looking forward to hearing how well it works for you. I've looked into this product also but have been weary to purchase it because I wasn't sure how well it works with BlitzMax.

Cartman(Posted 2006) [#12]
Grey: Are you planning to port any of your games to the Mac? If so, do you have a route to provide the same 60 minute protection on that platform? I'm curious, since I'm going to face that problem soon.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
Tachyon: well all my tests so far have been OK, and the Wizard of Oz game in my sig was wrapped with it and is fine.

Cartman: Planning to port Oz to Mac at some point, but it may not be that soon, sorry.