Who killed brl.glgraphics?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Who killed brl.glgraphics?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just done syncmods and recompiled my game.

Its now exhibiting an awful 'stippling' effect - my smooth gradient background has visible steps in the colour changes, and to cap it all off I've lost 40% of my framerate!

Please undo whatever it is you've done!! :(

My laptop isn't great but this is ridiculous - it ran 100% better only a few minutes ago before I checked for updates. A simple syncmods has completely knackered something.

Both these screenshots taken in 32-bit, DX and GL respectively (sorry they're BMPs - only got MS Paint on here and it doesn't seem to let me save as JPG):

[edit] or it might be brl.pngloader - i notice thats updated too.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
It seems to be a bug, post it in bug report... and waiting for fix.

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#3]
It looks fine for me, I've just synced modded.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#4]
URK. That's pretty ugly.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#5]
Can you post your sourcecode?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
I, said the sparrow, with my Bow and Arrow, I killed brl.glgraphics.

If you post a code snippit, we can see how panandemic this problem is.

(And dont forget, that it might be that somthing is working properly now) Im quite willing to test it if you post a snippit as Im sure most ppl are, but Im not going to write myself somthing to test it.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
Not much to it really. Just make a gradient to load, or grab the first one (above) and use that.
SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()
Graphics 800,600

bkg:TImage = LoadImage("graphics\grad.png")

While Not KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE)
	DrawImage bkg,0,0
	Flip
Wend

Its the same in fullscreen, by the way.

Its not so much the ugliness that's concerning me - its the loss of performance.

Oh, and I ruled out PNGLoader - its the same with JPGs.

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#8]
It displays fine for me, I don't see that stripping problem you have on the first post.

--EDIT--

[img]http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/8381/untitledyg7.png[/img]
That's my output.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#9]
Fully Synced.
GLMax2DDriver and D3D7Max2DDriver both give the first output for me, but GLGraphicsDriver crashes at DrawImage

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#10]
Fine for me: 1.22 fully sync'ed

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#11]
Fully synced, and it looks fine here too...

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#12]
It might have something to do with the color depth?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#13]
That's a good guess Grisu.

My guess is a microsoft update restore point goblin decapitated the hardware driver with it's nimble high performance software renderer [/sarcasm].

Gfk, have updated and tested with firepaint sample which does force gl and works fine here. Is firepaint ok your end?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#14]
It might have something to do with the color depth?
Already mentioned above its tested in 32-bit.

Gfk, have updated and tested with firepaint sample which does force gl and works fine here. Is firepaint ok your end?
Aside from slowing down massively as soon as I press the mouse button, yeah it works.

I guess the gradient is just emphasising what would normally be a fairly minor problem.

As for the slowdown - GL used to be faster than DX on this PC. Now they're roughly the same - possibly even DX is a little quicker.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#15]
Have you turned acceleration down? (I know I know, you would know if you had done that, and wouldnt have asked, but you know)

Its just that sometimes my ati cards software just ups and changes settings. (lot less since I banned it from net access, but still sometimes)

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#16]
Going on from H&K asking what may appear non-essential questions, but have you run any other 3d apps/games on your laptop ever since you noticed the slow-down in BMax?

Azathoth(Posted 2006) [#17]
but GLGraphicsDriver crashes at DrawImage

I think its because GLGraphicsDriver doesn't implement Max2D, you need to use GLDrawPixmap.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#18]
There's a new pixel format thing in glgraphics, I noticed.