HydraMax IDE needs tester

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/HydraMax IDE needs tester

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#1]
Please see the latest worklog entry if you are interested in being a tester.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=2880&log=1386

Screenshot

The first twenty responders will receive an e-mail with download information in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#2]
Certainly looks very interesting... not too sure what to think about this bit, though:

HydraMax is an MDI application. Unlike with tabbed interfaces, you can view multiple documents at the same time

Personally I tend to prefer tabs over non-tabbed interfaces, it's much cleaner if you have a lot of applications open at the same time. But anyway, good luck with this project!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm interested as the bmx ide tends to eat my source code from time to time. Also I hate .NET stuff. So if you need a tester drop me a line.

P.S.:
Could you add multi-linugal support to the ide at a later stage? So I can make a translation for German users?

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#4]
@Eikon - I have sent you an email with regards to HydraMax IDE :)

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#5]
What Enigma said. :)

splinux(Posted 2006) [#6]
Is it for Linux too?
If so i could do some test.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks to all who have responded so far. I've got about roughly ten positions still available.

xlsior: Personally I tend to prefer tabs over non-tabbed interfaces, it's much cleaner if you have a lot of applications open at the same time. But anyway, good luck with this project!
There will always be some who prefer the standard tabbed interface to MDI. The reason I mentioned it in the features as a strength is because MDI allows you to do some things that just can't be done with tabs. For example, you can edit two files side by side - copying code from one doc and directly pasting it into another. Once you get used to it, there is no decrease in speed or ease of use with MDI compared to tabs, only advantages.

@Grisu: You sound like someone that HydraMax was designed for, I've added you to the tester list. I don't know the first thing about adding multi-lingual support, but if you can provide me with German text for all of the menus and forms, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

@splinux: HydraMax is for Windows only

I'll be happy to answer your questions and take feature requests in this thread as well.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#8]
Always good to see an alternative to the BlitzMax editor, which is basic to say the least - good luck with it.

Will(Posted 2006) [#9]
Count me in if you need a mac tester :)

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#10]
The most important feature in my book is function folding, but that's already being worked on?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#11]
Eikon, do you store all text strings in an ini file or external bmx file?

If so, I could translate the phrases there and you just need to rebuild the main exe with the new texts.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#12]
* raises hand for *anything* foldable, not just functions, also select/if/for/while etc.

Barbapapa(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hi Eikon, if you are in search of a newbie BMax guy, you can count me in. I don't feel very comfortable with the standard IDE's. Blide seems very nice, but too buggy for now but certainly a second column for the future. I always like working with different IDE's, dependent on what I do. Oh, and bugs like me ;) BTW I am german so I could give Grisu a helping hand in translating if needed,

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#14]
The most important feature in my book is function folding, but that's already being worked on?
Folding is already in version 0.6, although it is in an experimental state, meaning it tends to fold on lines it shouldn't

* raises hand for *anything* foldable, not just functions, also select/if/for/while etc.
Code folding should be perfected and available for all keywords you mentioned by the time the public release is ready.

Grisu: Eikon, do you store all text strings in an ini file or external bmx file?
All the menu/form text is hardcoded into Hydra, your best bet for a translation is to make me a text file showing the english words, where they are in the program, and their german replacement. Then I can figure out how best to implement them from there.

@Barbapapa: You're on the mailing list :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#15]
Code folding should be perfected and available for all keywords you mentioned by the time the public release is ready.

Does that include commented 'commands' ?

I could imagine (if I just want to hide a large chunk o' code that I could do something like:

'[
hidden code here
']

where '[ and '] are such keywords..

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#16]
me too ill test. can i develop my stuff as normal :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#17]
All the menu/form text is hardcoded into Hydra, your best bet for a translation is to make me a text file showing the english words, where they are in the program, and their german replacement. Then I can figure out how best to implement them from there.

Could you use arrays for all the texts you need. The way one could easily exchange the texts without having to go through your sourcecode.

The texts will still be hardcoded then:

Menu[7].item1="A&bout Hydra IDE"
Helptxt[0].tooltip="This is a tooltip text"

Or make an ini-file system that stores all names.
So one can change the texts displayed during runtime.
When you do so right from the start it isn't that much more work. But changing your code later by hand is PAIN (tm).

Barbapapa(Posted 2006) [#18]
Thanks Eikon :)

BTW I have the same opinion as Grisu, why can't you keep all text external, in an Ini-File e.g. I have done the same thing with my app. It's even easier, I only have to create a directory and have a language file in it. The app automatically detects that a new language exists and builds it in. I can even change during run-time without any restart.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#19]
Just look at my old little game cardwar: www.cardwar.de.vu.. easy as pie... :)

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#20]
CS_TBL: Does that include commented 'commands' ?
Probably not. In that situation, I would block comment the code inside the function/keywords, then collapse them. I don't think the folding code already inherit in the Scintilla component that I'm using would consider a commented function something that should be folded.

me too ill test. can i develop my stuff as normal :)
OK, you're in. There will be some restrictions in the demo version, though you will be able to compile your programs as usual.

@Grisu & Barbapapa: What I was suggesting is the same as the INI solution you're talking about. If you'll place all of the text that needs replacing in a text file with an understandable format, eg:
[Menu]
File_Open = German Text

I can then go through and structure the INI by hand later, when I'm ready to code for it. This way you can go ahead and get started on the translating since I won't have any such language INI system in place until at least a version or two from now.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#21]
ohwell will 2 dummy functions do then?

A
hidden code
B

and

Function A()
End Function
Function B()
End Function

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#22]
* edit *

I tweaked the folding code a bit and it now has the ability to fold at any indent block, this basically means any section of code you want can be foldable, regardless of commenting.

Barbapapa(Posted 2006) [#23]
Ok sounds cool, btw what do you mean with 'demo'?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#24]
Ok sounds cool, btw what do you mean with 'demo'?

At this time I haven't decided whether or not version 1.0 will be sold for a small fee, so for now all testers are receiving a 'demo' version that has certain restrictions.

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#25]
ok my email is aussidan at gmail.com

to avoid those spam bots :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#26]
Will there be something like an advanced search&replace that includes the type of the thing you want to S&R? Like, only replace characters if they truly belong to a variable, those characters could otherwise be part of a keyword so to say, and you don't want those messed up.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#27]
Could you e-mail me your current ini file, so that I can start the translation?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#28]
@CS_TBL: I'm going to be redesigning both the find and find/replace forms soon. I'll see what kind of extra features I can work in.

@Grisu: There isn't a language INI file structure yet, that's why I suggested you start your own once you receive the demo, then I'll write my code to suit your INI.

Stay tuned for a worklog update on all the progress made with code folding, along with a new screenshot - coming soon.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#29]
Oki doki, got your point.

Cruis.In(Posted 2006) [#30]
where do i download it to start testing?

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#31]
I'll test, I need a better IDE to make it easier to read my messy code =D.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#32]
i'll test it, send me the link/file to hyrule91@...

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#33]
If you are still looking for testers I'll test too.

E-mail is in my profile (would post publicly but I get enough spam already.)

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#34]
I've added everyone to the mailing list, thanks :)

There's a new worklog entry and screenshot to be seen.

@Cruis.In: See the first post

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#35]
Eikon, I never got a copy of HydraMax. :(

Anyhow, I updated my profile here to reflect my preferred e-mail address. When you get a chance could you send a copy to that e-mail addy.

Thanks!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#36]
I think he meant NEXT monday?!?

If not please send me a copy too as I'm still on holiday till monday and have free time... :D

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#37]
I was wondering about that.

Well, at least I'm not the only one who doesn't have it. :P

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#38]
Yea, I meant next Monday, as in November the 13th.

Apologies for any confusion.

@SculptureOfSoul: I updated your e-mail in my list.

Diordna(Posted 2006) [#39]
If it's written in Blitz, I'll try to build a Mac version if you'll send me the source.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#40]
HydraMax is Windows only as it was written in VB6, but thanks for the offer.

I just sent v0.7 out to all of the testers, feel free to post your impressions here

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#41]
Thanks mate, got it fine... only thing is it might be hard to beta test the features when everything I clicked on said "this feature is not available in the demo" :s

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#42]
Well, some things were left out because they weren't in a complete enough state, and other features were left out because they are known bug free and are being saved for the full version.

Restricted:
Code Folding (finished / bug free)
Theme Manager (finished / bug free)
Build + UPX (finished / bug free)
Export to HTML (unfinished)
Add Tools (unfinished)
Replace (unfinished)

so you see I tried to leave everything available that actually needed to be tested. What I'm looking for are bugs in the text control which you have full access to, but I do apologize if the demo felt too restrictive.

Someone please test the print option if you can, because I don't have a printer for testing here.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#43]
i found a bug

when switching between taps with ctrl + tap in firefox 2.0 the HydraMax bar starts going blue

and when i press tab to indent the curser backs up one character

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#44]
Oops, looks like my hotkey was a little too low level. Well spotted.

and when i press tab to indent the curser backs up one character
That's not good, a last minute change must have caused this. To all of the testers, download the setup again tomorrow for a few critical bug fixes, including this one.

* edit *
Setup has been updated. I've had a report of a crash after changing options in the Options > Settings screen and clicking cancel. If any tester can duplicate this and provide me with a reliable way to recreate it, that would be a big help.

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#45]
About the bug when clicking the "Cancel" button...

I got 8 message boxes with "1", "2"... and then a "Runtime error 13: incompatible type".

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#46]
But the bug with "Ctrl" + Right Arrow is gone now.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#47]
kragoth, I think I figured out the cancel button bug, please reinstall with the new setup (setup 07.exe) and let me know how it goes, thanks.

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#48]
What's the link for the new setup ?

Barbapapa(Posted 2006) [#49]
Hi (Wii) Eikon, I spent some time thinking about your way of handling your editor, wanting to sell it later on is ok, although I personally find 30$ being much high in relation to the price of Bmax or MaxGUI. But what I really don't like, you want us to beta test your program, but at the same time are removing the features that are working correctly. And at the end, when everything works right and you have taken everything out that works and is a nice feature you want to sell it, at least, hey, you would give beta testers a small discount, wow... well for my part I feel slightly verarscht, so, to come to an end, would you please delete me from your list.
You can rest assure, I have downloaded you editor, but didn't install it, so no secret features I could talk about...

Good luck with your editor.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#50]
Hi Barbapapa, while I respect your opinion, I think this is a pretty extreme stance to take for something as trivial as a few missing features. As I explained in the previous post, half of the restrictions are in place because that section of the program simply isn't ready yet, and the other features are reserved for the full version - I am not going to give what amounts to the full program away for free...

Also, I said the editor would cost below $30, probably $25 (before the discount) to be honest. I still don't understand how people can think charging around $30 for an IDE is too expensive, but that comes from this being an indie community where some people expect to be handed everything, I suppose.

I had to look up verarscht, and I'm quite surprised to find that you feel you have been taken for a ride, when infact I have yet to receive anything from you. I have offered you access to software ahead of time, for free, then even a price discount on top of that, and this is the thanks I get?

You'll be off the list, don't worry about that.

Kragoth: What's the link for the new setup?
It's the same link I sent you in the first e-mail, Setup 07

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#51]
I downloaded it and re-installed it, but I still get the same error as before -- Runtime error 13, Incompatible type.

Well, in fact it's Runtime error "13" (with quotes), so maybe there's something wrong with the 13th button in the dialog.

GregBUG(Posted 2006) [#52]
same here, i redownloaded setup but the cancel bug is here...

to reproduce simply Setting->options
and then click "cancel"

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#53]
If you reinstall over the version you already have installed, it doesn't seem to work. Try and uninstall it (the uninstall is in the HydraMax folder) and then run the new install. This is what I had to do for the syncmods update to work.

Thanks

Barbapapa(Posted 2006) [#54]
Well maybe verarscht really was to harsh from me, I must apologize for that, but normally if I beta-test something it is the complete full feature thing, how else can I check for bugs? bugs are not always restricted to a special function/module/feature.

I really wished you had made it clear, about your demo thing, the restrictions and so on, directly from the beginning. As I recall I had to ask you, because you mentioned something from features left out, I guess that's what made me angry. I always like to play open handed. But maybe you simply forgot to mention it. You surely did mention it afterwards.

About the price, I wrote that I personally!! that's only me, think that 30$ is too much where you already have several great editors. I'm really the last one NOT spending enough money for Indie-Projects, often I have supported a developer only to find that after a few months he stopped developing. But maybe your editor will be so outstanding one day that everybody will want to pay what it costs, I sincerely wish it for you.

I hope I have made my point clearer now.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#55]
Eikon, on any news on this?

Eikon(Posted 2007) [#56]
Hi tonyg,

I've been out of the loop recently. I don't frequent these forums like I used to, and I haven't even dabbled in BlitzMax for months. Maybe things will change, but as it stands now, it will be at least a couple of months before a public release of HydraMax.

I may end up just releasing the full version of 0.7 for free, it all depends on whether I can get back into the project or not. Life and programming for my job has robbed me of my Blitz time, you know how it is ;)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#57]
you know how it is ;)

Definately, it's just a shame when interesting stuff goes quiet.